Starter for an early GMC Truck?

JV Puleo

A friend is trying to find out what starter his truck may have used. It is a 1915 or 1916 GMC Model 41 (2-Ton with shaft drive) with a 4-cylinder Continental engine. My quick search for information shows that all the early GMC trucks used Continental engines.  It is ex-US Army so while the engine itself was made to accept a starter, none was originally fitted. I don't think there is a great chance of finding one but if we know what was correct, perhaps we could find something that will work.

jp

Was your friend, by any chance, the one looking for a C2 engine?? This certainly sounds familiar, but I don't keep logs of replies...

Whatever the case, he needs to definitely ID his engine, and expand his search inquiries to starters on that engine (or engine series, if his engine is a variation in a series, if he's desperate)...it's also possible his truck might've been repowered sometime in it's life  with whatever Cont'l could be dropped in...

If ex-miltary, he  also needs to research if there were "Military Standard" engines in those day (military spec versions of an existing off-the-shelf engine that sometimes had different innards and/or accessories, like starters, than the "civilian " versions...

You didn't say if a ring gear flywheel was fixed, or whether he also needs the ring gear/ring gear flywheel too....

The GMC club should know about MS engines, if any existed then, and should be able to positively ID his engine......

It does have a ring gear on the flywheel. As far as I know, he was not looking for an engine. He's had this truck a long time but thought it would be interesting to get it running again. Being of an age where cranking has lost it's attraction - he thought a starter might be in order especially as the engine was made to accept one.

My '15 Buick truck did not come with a starter when new according to the sales brochure.  Mine has a starter generator but it was never hooked up.  I believe that Buick was using up the '14 engines without starters on the trucks and this one might have been built when the non starter engines ran out.  I know that it never had the starter hooked up because there is no starter pedal on the floor.

I would guess that his truck did not come with a starter originally when built.

Where is the truck located and can you post some pictures of the truck with a number of pictures of the engine and we might be able to help more.

The truck is in Arizona. I've asked him to take some photos... I don't know if he can post them but, if not, he can send them to me and I'll post them. He doesn't think the truck came with a starter, only that the engine was fitted with a ring gear and that provision for a starter was made. He'd like to add a starter because, like many of us, he's getting old enough to not look forward to cranking it.

Edited by JV Puleo (see edit history)