TODAY IS MILESTONE

smithbrother

Yep, TODAY I turned the big 80.

Seems like yesterday I was 14 riding my Cushman Eagle Motor Scooter thru Miller Park in Bloomington, Il.  That same year and with my 12,year old brother on the back we rode it 175 miles to Indy to visit with Aunt &'Uncle. 30 miles from Indy it quit, we coasted a few feet into a service station.  Found one of two bolts holding the carb on had fallen out.  Used vise grip to hold in place & drove on to Indy.

I never dreamed that at 80 I would be feeling so good, and still enjoying my arty projects.  A lot has to do with my wonderful bride of 57 years Sharon Fern, she would be quick to tell YOU that she's from upper Michigan, Iron Mountain to be exact. One of the homes of PASTIES, miners wrapped them in newspaper and took them down in the copper mines.  Ever eat one??

Our family will be taking us out tonight, will ENJOY, for sure.

Dale in Indy 

• Like 5

Happy Birthday and here's wishing you many more healthy years. My dads family was from Iron Mountain and my great grandfather worked in those mines. He got out, went to Nebraska fought Indians to keep his homestead. When they burned him out he went back to mining at the Comstock silver mine where he was  killed. Gramps use to say his dad thought farming was just too dangerous. 

Again happy birthday 

Edited by SC38DLS (see edit history)

Even though your younger than me, by seven months, I'm sure our memories would dovetail with each other. My friend and I went on a road trip on a Whizzer motor bike. We stopped for some reason and he picked up a railroad spike that was on the side of the road and after a few miles got rid of it by tossing it up into the air where it came down on my head. Not really feeling any damage we continued on to an ice cream shop where a girl classmate of mine worked and upon seeing the dried blood covering one side of my face she about collapsed. Now what they call "helicopter" parents would probably be running to a lawyer.

Happy birthday! A milestone indeed. This hobby will keep you going so stay with it for many more.  I'm very familiar with Iron Mtn. Recall visiting there many years ago on a family trek. Pasties are a never to be forgotten treat. Nearest I've ever come to them elsewhere is something called a Forfar Bridie, unique to Forfar Scotland.

Terry

Congratulations  a belated Happy Birthday.  I've always admired the people like you who came before me in this hobby and are still enjoying it.
When we lived in Florida, we knew Ken DeWitt who lived to 99 and was still putting new steel Model A bodies on original Model A chassis at age 96,97 & 98.  He celebrated his 100th birthday two weeks ahead of time and then died. 
He loved to tell the funny story about his artificial leg and getting it stuck between the pedals on his Model A  while driving on Gulf Blvd. In trying to free it, it came off. He had to reach down and pull the leg out, now he was driving along waving the leg in the air to the amazement of the other motorists. 
Ken was an example to us all to enjoy life& antique cars as long as possible with a sense of participation and humor.

I attempted to to send the following 12 hours ago. Out in the wilds here communication can be slightly marginal , fortunately not often.

BIRTHDAY GREETINGS ! This from another Pacific Northwesterner , I am in the center of Washington State. I was so happy that you and Sharon included us by way of this fantastic forum , that I took a Birthday Old Car Card picture for you. Shortly before sunset , just  stepped out my door. I hope you like it. Engines from left : 1931 Chevrolet , '24 or '25 Oakland , early '20s Baby Overland. The background is not quite as background as it seems. If you expand the pasture you see to full screen and pan , it will give you a better idea of how things are out here at the ranch. I think it is midnight for you now , so I hope the birthday you just had with your family was the happiest imaginable ! Dale , the doctors say I might have an 80th. Three years and six days later I hope you have a joyous and healthy 90th with all your loved ones present. On my 80th my 1924 Cadillac will be 100 , on your 90th , my '27 Cad will be 100. On your 100th Birthday YOU will be 100 !          MANY MORE HAPPY BIRTHDAYS, DALE !   - Carl

image.jpeg