Changing My Stock Rear End & Axel

Sifua

• 2 weeks later...

Before you waste money "modernizing" your drive train, learn to maintain and tune the antique engine, clutch, brakes, etc. and you will be surprised how well it performs. In the end you'll have something of value plus you will have learned something different. These cars are fun and exciting "as is." You will enjoy it if you do it right.

I agree, there is absolutely NO reason to 'Modernize' a well running '36. I had a '35 and if you stand in a grease pit and look up you will see it is virtually identical to a '52 Plymouth I had earlier as a 'younger man'. The very concept of our antique cars is to get back into a simpler time. Don't try to drag them kicking and screaming into our 'Modern' time and try to make them do something they were not designed to do. Enjoy them as they are!

I agree with the 2 responses, but sometimes in my 33 ton and a half, I'd like to drive 50 mph., especially since I drive around in Houston.

NO MAS, NO MAS......... I have no intention of doing this as a Hotrod. Just some stronger brakes. This is an emotional thing. My family had one in the 40"s and 50"s. I wanted to grab a few memories. I am Restoring this car, but have come across some safety issues with the old technology and the waco drivers in this culture. If the 6 volt performs, it stays. I don't drag race with a 87 hp engine. So help me out wwith some restoration tips. I need all of your knowledge that I can get.<P>Thanks

In the early 20s DB rears had more than one final gear ratio possibility. I would assume that under Chrysler in the mid 30s there were ratio alternatives.<P>On your brake issue, I don't understand what possible "weakness" correctly restored DB juice brakes might have. I drive my DB with its two-wheel mechanical brakes all the time without problems in one of the craziest traffic areas. You just have to have a good defensive driving attitude and expect the unexpected. Of course, it helps to have a somewhat intimidating car.