Jump to content

2018 Buick Club National Meet - Denver, CO - June 19-23


Recommended Posts

  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Just to try to clarify the host hotel situation.

As of right now....

There are still rooms available at the host hotel for Friday and Saturday nights ONLY for the show.  There are no rooms available at the host hotel for anything prior to Friday.  Right now if someone tries to book a room on their reservation dashboard and they use a date range which includes the 19th, 20th or 21st (Tuesday - Thursday) the dashboard tells them that no rooms are available.  Unless the hotel releases more room for us for Tuesday - Thursday (not likely), you must stay at another hotel until Friday and Saturday, or pay the higher room rates at the host hotel.  This is not the ideal situation, but that's the way it is at the moment.  We are working hard to get them to make more rooms available Tuesday - Thursday.  If anything changes, we will let you know.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Auburncoupe said:

My son and I are joining the Buick Club and talking about making this meet as it is near to us here in the northwest.  Do the national meets have vendor areas?

thank you.  

  Well, we WELCOME you!  They sure do have vendor areas. 

  Will be looking for you.

 

  Ben

Link to post
Share on other sites

Latest update about the hotel situation:

 

Update 1/5/18:  Host hotel rooms are sold out at the group rate on June 19th, 20th and 21st.  Rooms are available for these dates at the current going rate of $359/night.  Rooms are still available at the group rate of $129/night for June 22nd and 23rd.  

 

Secondary hotel has rooms available for all nights at a group rate of $159/night including breakfast.  Many folks are booking at the secondary hotel early in the week and moving to the Host hotel on Friday.  

Link to post
Share on other sites

Just talking about that at breakfast this morning. 1750 miles one way for me. I can drive a car out, but it might be less to fly and rent an Escalade for 5 days. The only problem with driving is that I feel a touch of dementia coming on and I might just keep going. That has happened to a lot of 30ish males in my family- just said "I'm going out for a gallon of milk and a loaf of bread." Never saw them again. Maybe I am overdue.

 

Please check my parts for sale ad, lots of good stuff and some tools too.

Bernie- See you there!

  • Haha 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/6/2018 at 1:43 PM, TxBuicks said:

Secondary hotel has rooms available for all nights at a group rate of $159/night including breakfast.  Many folks are booking at the secondary hotel early in the week and moving to the Host hotel on Friday.  

 

On 1/6/2018 at 1:43 PM, TxBuicks said:

Rooms are available for these dates at the current going rate of $359/night. 

 

We are currently booked at the secondary hotel due to several unsuccessful attempts to book at the host via the BCA booking site and being told repeatedly there were no rooms available. Then surprisingly a number of members here were able to book well after my attempts. And now they're wanting a ridiculous $359 a night, GIVE ME A BREAK!!!   And some here have wondered what I have against hotels. SO with that being said, the host hotel really doesn't want me to move there on Friday night as I may just have to take an emergency stop in one of their flower beds or something. Hopefully we won't be checking into ANY hotel and will be commuting 20 minutes from the Cherry Creek State Park campground anyway.   

  • Like 5
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, MrEarl said:

 

. Hopefully we won't be checking into ANY hotel and will be commuting 20 minutes from the Cherry Creek State Park campground anyway.   

 

 

  Me too. Or the one about the same to the west. Or just park my teardrop on the show field.

 

  Ben

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

So Lamar will be pulling a small trailer with a 1954 Roadmaster? Cool. I'm looking forward to the photos. 

 

Off to Phoenix next week. The convention rate was $239/night so we are renting a car and staying with snowbird friends. Even buying a couple bottles of wine and a gift will be less than what the hotel wants. Oh well, I guess that means I either need to reassess how frugal I am or earn more. 

 

Edited by Thriller
Added hotel rant (see edit history)
Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Thriller said:

So Lamar will be pulling a small trailer with a 1954 Roadmaster? Cool. I'm looking forward to the photos. 

 

 

Where have "you" been?   Hopefully Lamar will be pulling a not so small trailer with

 

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I just booked my accommodation at the Hampton Inn for the 19th to the 23rd. Trying to sorting out flights at the moment, bit tricky as I am heading to Maine first to visit an old friend before heading to Denver....Looks like I am coming. Any orders for jars of Vegemite out there??

 

Paul

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 2 weeks later...

 I have spent some time trying to make a reservation at the Hampton, and it has been a frustrating experience.

 First could not get book online, so I called the reservation line. Then it got really annoying. I spent over 20 mins, first she could not even find the hotel, then could not find the group rate. Finally she said that someone would call me back, a few hours later, no one had, so I called in again.

 The gentleman I spoke with did find the hotel, and the group code, then I was given the option of a non-refundable rate of $125., or a refundable rate of $139. per night. I asked for a clarification, is that if I have to cancel, I will still have to pay, and he answered yes.

 I said that this was unacceptable, and he said he was sorry, but this is how it is.

 Is this on the level?

 I would really like to attend, but I have a few things to get lined up first, but would like to have a hotel room.

Keith

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎1‎/‎26‎/‎2018 at 6:20 PM, Buicknutty said:

 I have spent some time trying to make a reservation at the Hampton, and it has been a frustrating experience.

 First could not get book online, so I called the reservation line. Then it got really annoying. I spent over 20 mins, first she could not even find the hotel, then could not find the group rate. Finally she said that someone would call me back, a few hours later, no one had, so I called in again.

 The gentleman I spoke with did find the hotel, and the group code, then I was given the option of a non-refundable rate of $125., or a refundable rate of $139. per night. I asked for a clarification, is that if I have to cancel, I will still have to pay, and he answered yes.

 I said that this was unacceptable, and he said he was sorry, but this is how it is.

 Is this on the level?

 I would really like to attend, but I have a few things to get lined up first, but would like to have a hotel room.

Keith

 

 

The lower non refundable rate is becoming the new norm.  Also where it used to be you could cancel up to 6:00 pm on day of arrival, that is now gone and you need to cancel many times 6:00 pm THE DAY BEFORE arrival or you are charged.

Link to post
Share on other sites

When one runs into these situations it is good to remember that policies, rules, regulations, and even laws are generally reactionary. Someone stiffed them before.

 

I had to cancel reservations in Milwaukee last year, without a penalty. But I got stuck for the full shot for a big one at Hershey one year.

 

The unacceptable one I think of in these instances is the story like the woman who bought new drapes and took then back because they "didn't match" after the wedding. That and similar stories are where the rules come from. It also doesn't help that Hollywood painted everyone with a business as a bad guy since the first movie ever made.

 

The hotel people probably said "Hey, there is a big Buick group coming here in June." "Geez, aren't they all really old?" "Yeah, better get some assurance they will make it." "I second that."

Link to post
Share on other sites

This is from the meet chairman:

 

If you are having difficulty booking hotel rooms for the National Meet.  

HOST HOTEL - Denver Marriott South Park Meadows; Lone Tree, CO 

Website:  https;//aws.passkey.com/e/49273599 

If you have difficulty utilizing the website, please call the hotel direct number. 

 Direct Phone Number:  303-925-0004

     Group Name:  Buick Club of America National Meet JUNE2018 

 National Meet Group Rate:  $129/night 

 Room Availability at Group Rate:  Friday, June 22nd and Saturday, June 23rd.   

Rooms at the group rate for Tuesday, June 19th; Wednesday, June 20th and Thursday, June 21st are sold out.  Rooms are available these nights but the current rate is $359/night. 

Cancellation Policy:  Rooms can be cancelled 48 hours prior to reservation without any penalties.  Rooms cancelled within 48 hours of reservation will incur a one night room charge.

 

SECONDARY HOTEL - Hampton Inn & Suites Denver/South-Ridge Gate 

Website:

http://hamptoninn.hilton.com/en/hp/groups/personalized/D/DENRGHX-BCA-20180617/index/jhtml 

If you have difficulty utilizing the website, please call the hotel direct number. 

Direct Phone Number:  303-790-4100

     Group Name:  2018 Buick Club of America National Meet

     Group Code:  BCA

 

National Meet Group Rate:  $159/night 

Room Availability at Group Rate:  Tuesday, June 19th, Wednesday, June 20th, Thursday, June 21st. 

Cancellation Policy:  Rooms can be cancelled 48 hours prior to reservation without any penalties.  Rooms cancelled within 48 hours of reservation will incur a one night room charge.

 

The Denver National Meet Committee would like everyone to attend the meet and do not want you to experience issues with booking your hotel rooms.  If you have tried the above and still experience problems please send an email to buicknationals@verizon.net.

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
On 1/9/2018 at 2:58 PM, Thriller said:

Oh well, I guess that means I either need to reassess how frugal I am or earn more. 

 

I am in the same frugal camp as Derek, and am I the only one that thinks $60 for the awards banquet meal is a bit steep?  I know the hotel likely sets that and it includes tax and tip and likely BCA does not make anything on the meal, but it still seems pretty high to me.  Other thoughts??

  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Give the Australian dollar has nose dived in comparison with the US over the passed few years everything is a little expensive for us, but I am excited to go and the cost will be a distant memory in comparison to the memories of the trip !

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎3‎/‎20‎/‎2018 at 10:09 AM, JCK55buick said:

I am in the same frugal camp as Derek, and am I the only one that thinks $60 for the awards banquet meal is a bit steep?  I know the hotel likely sets that and it includes tax and tip and likely BCA does not make anything on the meal, but it still seems pretty high to me.  Other thoughts??

 

Yes, the meal seems high to me too.  But so is every other meal, no matter where you go. Even breakfasts in my area are $$$ lately (the last two years at least) .

 

Last fall while arranging a banquet dinner for the NE Regional meet we learned that ALL the local banquet facilities hold you hostage for an "administration fee", which was 18% of the cost of the meal. This was NOT the tip for the servers.  Tips for the servers would be up to us, if we wanted to, and extra.  This in an area where there is a decent demand for this type of event,  but an area much smaller than what I imagine Denver is like.   It is a terrible situation, and one for which there is little choice.  I do not envy the Denver planners who are faced with this situation. 

 

Keep in mind that this is the Club's award banquet.  It is a one time event.  And participation is not required in order to attend the award portion of the event.  But it is usually a very nice time with your fellow club members.  When you see the cars on the show field during a National meet you get some sense of the integrity of the Club.  When you eat dinner with 3-400 fellow club participants it is the car show magnified!  And if you attend National Meets infrequently it is probably a one time experience. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

 Having run shows here too, I have found much the same thing at most places of late. I agree that it is high, and I like Derek, and others, we're paying from our money into US dollars, and then the bank or other agency nicks a few points more on the exchange rate.

 That bitching said, I would not go to a National and without attending the Sat banquet. I have met some great Buick people sitting around our table, and though my car rarely wins, its' still an experience I wouldn't give up.

 

 By the by, I am still hoping that I can attend. Our final move to the new place will be less than a month away by then, plus I have got used to my lovely co driver as back up, but she cannot attend this year as well. I have my hotel booked, but not yet sent in my registration.

 Keith

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Buicknutty said:

 

 

 By the by, I am still hoping that I can attend. Our final move to the new place will be less than a month away by then, plus I have got used to my lovely co driver as back up, but she cannot attend this year as well. I have my hotel booked, but not yet sent in my registration.

 Keith

 

 Come on! You will get recharged for the move. 

 

  Ben

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 3 weeks later...
  • MrEarl unpinned this topic

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...