Judging for Newbies

hursst

Hello,

I've never judged with the AACA before, but wanted to start learning about it and maybe get involved.  I attended the judging school in Feb at Phila. and received a judging chip.  From what I understood at the time, my name would be placed on a judge list of some type and I would receive further correspondence and information on future judging opportunities. I am interested in maybe starting to judge at Fall Hershey.  I never received any information after the class, so at this point, I'm not sure how to get involved with judging.  I sent an email to HQ recently with this same question, but received no response.  I'm assuming they didn't see the email or are out of town for a while.

Anyway, I know the forum is the best next step to get judging info.  The may be an easy answer for my question somewhere, but I can't find it.  For anyone that could assist, maybe a quick primer on how the process works for getting involved in judging would be appropriate as a sticky post, as I cannot find any easy information on how to get involved with judging as a newbie.

Thanks!

-Chris

hursst,

You should have received your first issue of "The Judge", a newsletter for Judges, back in April. It includes forms to sign up for judging. There may have been a problem with it getting lost in the mail or some other issue. I assume that your address on file with AACA is correct and you are properly entered into the system as a judge. You can simply go to the main AACA website and use the members login at https://members.aaca.org/login.asp to register to judge at a meet. You just need your member number and your PIN # which is located on your Antique Automobile mailing label. If you would prefer not to sign up online, or if you have trouble doing so, you should call headquarters and have them verify that you are properly entered on the judges list and to get a copy of "The Judge" sent to you. You should be on the apprentice team at your first meet as a judge. You will learn quite a bit more about judging with the apprentice team, and with each subsequent judging experience. Welcome to the judging community!

On ‎7‎/‎14‎/‎2017 at 7:05 AM, MCHinson said:

hursst,

You should have received your first issue of "The Judge", a newsletter for Judges, back in April. !

I did the Judge's School at Ocala (Winter Meet) and have never received anything as far as correspondence afterwards.

3 minutes ago, Bob Hill said:

I did the Judge's School at Ocala (Winter Meet) and have never received anything as far as correspondence afterwards.

I would suggest that you also call headquarters and they should be able to make sure you are in the judges database. The database is created and updated based on the judging school and judging participation cards. It does take a little time for the database to be updated, but it is usually an efficient process.

• Like 1

I started my judging "career" at Hershey and would be surprised if there wasn't an apprentice team this year. I've really enjoyed the experiences so far and have been able to get to several shows around the east coast. Welcome aboard!

Thank you for the information.  I will investigate further.

Ouch, just saw this thread.  Absolutely there is a apprentice team. I will investigate myself why you did not get a copy of the judge's newsletter but Bob one will be sent to you and hursst just call 717-534-1910 and you will receive one.  I would recommend going back to judges school at Hershey as a refresher and then it will be easy to put you on the apprentice team.

Thank you again.  I will call today.

-Chris

I called and got information about the newsletter (they told me where to find the online version).  They also showed me the registration form for each event.  They told me since I'm listed as "inactive" on the judges list, that I would not receive a newsletter (I can just access the online version).

I read the newsletter and "CJE" is mentioned multiple times, but is not spelled out.  What does "CJE" mean?

Thank you to the members who have chimed in for helping me out so far. 

-Chris Lutz

CJE = Continuing Judges Education. Every judge is required to attend judging school and take a CJE at a National Meet to remain active.  The Annual Meeting in Philadelphia offers Judging School but no CJE.  At Hershey, the CJE classes are at the end of Judging School.  At all other National Meets they are on Saturday morning after the Judges Breakfast and before field judging begins.  Please join us, it is a great experience and you will meet wonderful friend from all over the country.

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

Yea, it's called the AACA Judging Manual.  Available on,one on thenAACA website or via the AACA store or free if you attend a judging school

5 minutes ago, bobg1951chevy said:

Is there an AACA  book or a manual that  I could obtain that explains the classes and judging process with AACA ?

I would be interested in obtaining one as we prepare for the 2018 season.

Yes, it's called the AACA Judging Manual.  Available online on the AACA website or via the AACA store or free if you attend a judging school

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Bob Hill said:

Yea, it's called the AACA Judging Manual.  Available on,one on thenAACA website or via the AACA store or free if you attend a judging school

Yes, it's called the AACA Judging Manual.  Available online on the AACA website or via the AACA store or free if you attend a judging school

Thank you.

• 1 month later...

Yes, If you want to attend the AACA Annual Meeting, any member can attend the Judging school at Philly.  The same instructor will also be giving the Judging School at the NC Region Annual meeting in Burlington, NC if you can't make it to Philadelphia. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, MCHinson said:

Yes, If you want to attend the AACA Annual Meeting, any member can attend the Judging school at Philly.  The same instructor will also be giving the Judging School at the NC Region Annual meeting in Burlington, NC if you can't make it to Philadelphia. 

I do not see anything listed for Burlington, NC.  ??

1 hour ago, AnniesSS said:

Here is the link to the flier for the NC Region event this weekend: 2018annualmeet.jpg

And here is the agenda:

http://ncregionaaca.com/region/images/pdf/2018winteragenda4.pdf

If you want to attend, I would call John or Bill ASAP :)

Thank you, I certainly did not see this in the 2018 listed events ...... I'm doing something wrong here :-(

Edited by bobg1951chevy (see edit history)

The National Website has National Events. This weekend's event is a North Carolina Region event, with a National Judging School as part of the event. Maybe a bit confusing but you would have to look on the NC Region website to find it online.