Converting wooden artillery wheels

Leif in Calif

I have an early Chrysler I'm thinking of making into a speedster. I'd like something a little more robust than the original 20" wooden wheels. It seems like I'll need completely new hubs to convert to anything else...does anyone have a better (easier or cheaper) idea? Maybe a disc to replace the wood?   Thanks!

Here's the car:

http://www.prewarcar.com/magazine/previous-features/the-art-of-mental-engineering--003880.html

Pound for pound wood spokes are supposed to be stronger than steel.  I assume the only real problem would be sliding sideways into a curb.  My wood spokes are 87 years old and have no run out, squeeks or looseness.  They have been on the road for 500,000 miles many at highway speeds, once up to over 70 mph.

I always wondered if you could use a wood spoke wheel to cast an aluminum or magnesium wheel.  Then you could use the original hubs etc.

Numerous cars used solid disc wheels in the late 1920's, Chevrolet and Dodge come to mind, so if you're thinking solid disc you might be able to adapt one of those.

I believe Chrysler also had spoke wheels around the time of your car, that'd be the easiest thing to find I would think.

Some cars did have steel spoke wheels, which looked just like a wooden spoke wheel, even as early as the 1906 Autocar.  There were some metal spoke wheels made in the late 20's and early 30's that replicated the look of wood spoke wheels, but those are rare and hard to come by....

Leif, I've got a set of five Packard disk wheels that would look really cool on your ride. You would probably want to cut off the rims and use just the disks, this would allow a huge choice in tires. Make me an offer if your interested, I'd love to see them get used for something.

Pics here:

http://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=11919&forum=8

Todd (tfee16811 at gmail dot com)