Member with Bad Reputation

Pomeroy41144

I have noticed that my "reputation" points clicked up a couple points.  I have 691 posts here on the forum but only 73 "reputation" points. 

Another member, who has been here as long as I have and has ten less posts, has almost 500 reputation points. 

How come I have such a bad reputation on this forum?  I have never had a tussle with anybody on the forum and I try and offer the correct information if I have it.

How does the "reputation" point system work? 

• Like 18

There is a button under your reputation that says "see reputation activity". It shows posts you liked and your posts others liked, etc. Check it out to see what they are using to calculate it. 

From what I gather, the more active, with no one complaining, and the more people like your posts, the better. 

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Pomeroy41144 said:

Thanks I feel better already. 

I really enjoy this forum. 

I wouldn't put much weight to it unless it's someone who has very low points. Then I'd be cautious depending on if they are selling something or whatever. 

I have a lot of points. It just means I'm chatty, not that I'm knowledgeable or a saint or anything. ? (But don't tell anyone! ?)

Edited by victorialynn2 (see edit history)
  • Like 6

We also get a reputation point each time we are quoted in a following post, whether the new poster agrees or disagrees with us.  So if one makes an outrageous post which is quoted and objected to, it's the same value as if we are praised for discovering a cure for cancer.....

• Like 7

24 minutes ago, George Smolinski said:

Should we all "like" Pomeroy's post so he won't feel bad?

I don't feel "bad", I just feel "better". 

I just don't say enough interesting things that people like. 

I guess I can work on that. 

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Pomeroy41144 said:

I have noticed that my "reputation" points clicked up a couple points.  I have 691 posts here on the forum but only 73 "reputation" points. 

Another member, who has been here as long as I have and has ten less posts, has almost 500 reputation points. 

How come I have such a bad reputation on this forum?  I have never had a tussle with anybody on the forum and I try and offer the correct information if I have it.

How does the "reputation" point system work? 

I  checked my reputation for the first time and found it "excellent" with 369 points. This is rather disappointing to me, I was going for the cranky old bastard who knows his stuff image. Guess I'm just an old teddy bear.

PS I quoted you and liked you, hope it helps.

Later... I notice that 369 points is out of 9,128 posts most of them of a technical nature. I doubt anyone has been more helpful or put out more good information and got less in return. Hope this makes you feel better.

Edited by Rusty_OToole (see edit history)
  • Like 6

18 minutes ago, Rusty_OToole said:

Later... I notice that 369 points is out of 9,128 posts most of them of a technical nature. I doubt anyone has been more helpful or put out more good information and got less in return. Hope this makes you feel better.

No good deed goes unpunished--or unrecognized!

Rusty, I just quoted you (one reputation point) and "liked" your post immediately above (another point).  Actually (I think), the number of posts dates from the beginning of one's registration for the forums, but the reputation points scheme is only about two years old, as I recall....

I have a lower than average reputation points to number of posts made ratio. It doesn't bother me because I'm one who frequently makes brief posts regarding cars I've come across on Craigslist that maybe someone on our forums might have an interest in. Often my simple posts don't trigger any response at all. That's fine, I don't necessarily expect them to. As to why I do this, retirement, crummy health and time on my hands gives me plenty of opportunity to browse ads, which is something that I still enjoy. I'm also mindful that a lot of cars are offered locally instead of on ebay because ebay has become such an unpleasant experience for many. So, Pomeroy, perhaps many of your posts are simple remarks or suggestions that you never expected to be responded to much in the first place. Here's an example of something that I posted recently that I didn't expect any "reputation points" from, nor any response at all, really.

Edited by Hudsy Wudsy (see edit history)

The number of "likings" may mean that someone

has a good reputation, but don't put overly much 

stock in it.  I've seen people whose responses to

technical questions have been very informative and helpful,

but those responses don't get "liked."  That doesn't mean

that person isn't a good forum member;  on the contrary,

his postings are very valuable.  Sometimes cute comments

and comedic relief, I think, are liked disproportionately.

• Like 4

I'm like Lebowski don't fret over it.  I was unaware there was such a thing as those points until I saw your thread here.  I looked and I have 4 points, wow!  I've been on here since '03. have 240 or so posts, and have earned 4 points, and don't care.

• Like 1

On July 12, 2017 at 1:25 PM, Grimy said:

We also get a reputation point each time we are quoted in a following post, whether the new poster agrees or disagrees with us.  So if one makes an outrageous post which is quoted and objected to, it's the same value as if we are praised for discovering a cure for cancer.....

Ha, I never knew THAT!  2 points for you George ?

• Like 1

On July 12, 2017 at 0:53 PM, victorialynn2 said:

There is a button under your reputation that says "see reputation activity". It shows posts you liked and your posts others liked, etc. Check it out to see what they are using to calculate it. 

From what I gather, the more active, with no one complaining, and the more people like your posts, the better. 

Dang, never knew about that "button" either, cool. Maybe I should come up here more often, you's guys are smart. Two for you, victorialynn. Btw, what a beautiful name. :)

• Like 1

On ‎7‎/‎16‎/‎2017 at 9:24 PM, Lebowski said:

Don't you have anything more important to worry about than this? :wacko:

Give me a break buddy.

Tongue in Cheek.  Not "worried" about it.  Never said I was.  Just asking how the points system works.

• Like 4

On 7/12/2017 at 9:52 AM, CarlLaFong said:

Number of "likes" that you receive

On 7/12/2017 at 9:53 AM, victorialynn2 said:

OH! I have been wondering as long as I have been here what a "like" button does in a forum context. I never noticed the reputation indicator

On 7/12/2017 at 10:25 AM, Grimy said:

Since the forum upgrade, there seems to be multiple ways to "react" to a post. I wonder how this affects the count?

4 minutes ago, Bloo said:

Since the forum upgrade, there seems to be multiple ways to "react" to a post. I wonder how this affects the count?

My guess is they all count as "engagement" and carries the same weight. None are of a negative connotation. Even "sad" is more apt to refer to a car or topic, not the poster. 

I think the reputation is mostly a popularity indicator (how much they engage are people engage with them).

2 minutes ago, victorialynn2 said:

My guess is they all count as "engagement" and carries the same weight. None are of a negative connotation. Even "sad" is more apt to refer to a car or topic, not the poster. 

I think the reputation is mostly a popularity indicator (how much they engage are people engage with them).

Didn't you once post that the forum software thought you were "liking" too many things? How much was too much?

6 minutes ago, Bloo said:

Didn't you once post that the forum software thought you were "liking" too many things? How much was too much?

Yes, I got a "time out' of sorts. I had several posts and was getting a lot of good feedback on them. I tend to like each poster on my thread to acknowledge them. Not sure how many were too many, but it had to be in the range of 40-50 I would guess? 

I am sure they limit it to keeps bots at bay.