1928 Dodge DA, frame numbers?

Hi, I have bought a 28 Dodge DA sedan and a 33 Plymouth PD 5 window coupe, the cars are in South Africa waiting to be shipped to the UK but they need police clearance and the shipper cannot find the frame and engine numbers, can anyone tell me where they are stamped, the Plymouth may have a PE engine,<BR>thanks, Pat "matchlesspat@aol.com"

matchlesspat -<P>If the '28 Dodge follows previous DB practices, the serial number should be somewhere on the frame towards the rear on the right side. The engine number will most likely be very visible on a raised area in the casting and die stamped on. In addition, there should be a body serial number on the firewall. I don't have a clue on the Plymouth number locations, but those little 5 windows are spiffy looking cars.<P>By the way, does "matchless" mean that you ignite by spontaneous combustion?

thanks for the info, Matchless is the make of my motorcycles, I have 14, made in London from 189? to 196?, mine range from 1914 to 1955,<BR>Pat

• 1 month later...

Pat: My experiences with serial numbers on the exported early sixes is they can be in one of several places. So can the model designations, as technically the "DA" is a 1929 car. You are most likely to find a mix and match of numbers and parts, such as Victory Sixes with DA serial numbers. DAs with Victory Six parts, and so forth. You also may be buying a car with a body build by someone in that country. I know in Australia it was a tax advantage to import the chassis and apply a Holden body locally. <BR>However, I have found that on some right hand drive cars, the serial number may not be on the right frame rail maybe because the steering gear is located in about the same spot. This is not always so, because I did find one on the right frame of a RHD Victory Six from Argentina. On some of these export cars, you may find the number stamped on the oil pan (a.k.a. sump). <BR>To read a frame serial number, in case you have one, clean the frame area under the right front fender with solvent and a wire brush, then with steel wool or sandpaper work your way around the front spring rear shackle on the right side until you clear away enough dirt and paint to bring up the die cut numbers. Hold a flash light at an extreme angle to catch the shadows of the emerging numbers as you clear away the grime. Often it's more likely you will wind up polishing the frame to a shiny luster so you can read the numbers written in grime.<BR>Technically, of course, the number also ought to be on a plate tacked to the front compartment toe board, but I assume it has been lost. <BR>The foregoing is for Dodge Bros, of course. No idea about Plymouth.

• 19 years later...

I purchased the 33 Plymouth PD r/s Coupe from matchlesspat in 2012 I am currently stripping the paint back to bare metal as overtime the corners of the bead lines crack and separate the paint from the metal below. The last photo is when it was pulled out of Dave Murray's garage in Westville Durban South Africa, Apart from the rear of the trunk being rusted out from water puddling as it runs off the trunk lid, a common fault with rumble seat cars.

20211004_145748.jpg

20211007_163934.jpg

scan0002.jpg