For Sale: 1940 Studebaker President

Our family has a 1940 Studebaker President for sale.

First some background.  My mother's maiden name was Baker.  About 45 years ago we had the family tree researched and found out that it was originally, wait for it . . . Studebaker.  Fast forward a number of years and we determined that we were in fact distant relatives of the Studebaker's that owned the car company.  In 2002 my mother passed away from ALS (Lou Gehrig's Disease).  A few years later dad decided that a good way to honor our mother was to buy and restore a Studebaker.  Since she was born in 1940 he searched for and found a 1940 President in Connecticut.  He contacted the seller, the deal was made and he trailered it home.  He started the restoration but it did not progress very far.  Dad's health started to fail and in May he passed away.

The car as far as we know is pretty much all there, except for maybe some small parts.  From what we know it is a solid car that is completely restorable.  It is currently not all in one piece, but all the pieces are together in the garage.  We are not interested in parting out the car at all.  We're trying to settle his estate and none of us are able to take on a restoration.  As of right now we don't have any pictures but should be able to get some soon.

The car is located in Cadiz Kentucky and the purchaser would be responsible for removing and shipping the vehicle.  For any interested parties within driving distance an on site viewing can be arranged.

Now for the nuts & bolts.  We are asking $3,200.00.  If interested PM me for additional information or with questions.

• Like 1

Dave,

I know that and I agree.  We are in the midst of trying to get his house ready to sell, along with all the contents and it was just yesterday afternoon that I took on the responsibility of trying to get the Studebaker sold.  My brother is going to take some pictures later this week and as soon as he sends them to me I'll get them posted.  I've sold cars before on forums so I know how much pictures help.  I just didn't have time to take any yesterday and I wanted to get the car out there so people could hear about it.  

11 hours ago, Imperial62 said:

I apologize for Old Car Fans reaction.   Well, your dad's car looks like a good project, and fairly solid. I find it interesting that the floor pan rusted at that spot.

You may have already done so - but the place to advertise this car and to get it sold and in the hands of a Studebaker fan, is to place it on the Studebaker Drivers Club website (SDC) and reach out to officers to see if they can find it a safe harbor. 

Personally I like the car. I believe it is an 8 cylinder car, significant design and style.  However, I am in Iowa and this would be impossible for me.  This is likely a local sale and by local I mean 200 miles or less.   If no one comes through from the Studebaker Club, then Craigs List will get it removed. 

Thanks.  The interior is there.  Like I said in my original post I think everything but maybe a window crank or something small like that is there.  I'll take your suggestion and list it on the SDC forum.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...

I fortunate enough to have purchased this car from uoflcardfan and I am finally getting a chance to work on it. The engine will turn but it is tight. took the head off and it does not look bad so I started dissecting. I found no water in oil, has some rust in filter housing so I took it off and cleaned it and put in a new filter. I tried to prime it but the oil pump seems to be locked up. I am debating the quandary of  trying to rebuild it at this point.

1.jpg

• Like 4