Water in oil now

Tom_Overfield

Hi Folks,

OK after the disaster with my V-12, I no doubt have water in the oil, a lot as the indicator button is way over the fill mark.  My thoughts were drain the oil, pull the filter to see if any water made it there, drain the filter canister, replace filter, put cheap oil in, run till warm. Drain this oil and see if any water remains. If so, do this once more before adding the expensive oil.  What have I overlooked?  

Thanks 

Tom

Sounds like a good idea Tom.  When you drain it the first time if you see signs of water I would do it a second time to make sure there's no trace of water or antifreeze still floating around in your engine.  Got my Zephyr up and running again.  Put about 75 miles on it the past two days  and it's smooth as silk & still good oil pressure. Third time is charm ! I'm hoping. 

Bought a bore scope an Amazon two days ago, it arrived today.  Look what I found inside one of the intake runners, no clue what it is, but no doubt a piece of this caused the damage.  40 bucks well spent, no way could I see it without this instrument. Now how to remove it is another issue. Guys, you really need one of these, I was all set to put that intake back on, so glad I waited.  It is wireless and connects to iPhone, iPad and several other devices. Cord is 34 feet long, 6 leds, lots of features.IMG_0428.JPG.b4dfe923cd76c544949206fda48e03d7.JPG

IMG_0428.JPG

IMG_0431.JPG

IMG_0432.JPG

Edited by Tom_Overfield (see edit history)

I purchase a bore scope several months ago but have yet to use it other than test.  Mine is such that you can't see straight ahead or I didn't figure that part out.  Neat tool though.

The pics look more like a hole than a chunk of something to me, or it's something like a valve guide with a hole though it.

It was slammed into the head where it stuck in place, was a real blister to pull that out and then remove all of the aluminum that was pushed back into the water jacket.  I will run the head to the welding shop this week,to be repaired. It was more like stainless steel, no reaction to a magnet at all.  

Ok, I really feel stupid now, what I though was a foreign object in the intake runner was nothing more than seeing half of the vacuum  fitting for the wipers.  At least I have piece of mind now and have assured myself nothing else is in the manifold.  Bolted back into  place, head replaced.  Will torque it all together later this evening when is cools down.

Tom