Fat man's steering wheel for a 1919 roadster?

Hey Guys - Does anyone else out there have a 1914 - 1922 DB roadster and find it almost impossible to get into from the driver's side? <P>Ok - I'll admit I've got some minor love handles, but I'm 5-9, 170 - nowhere NEAR "fat", and I can BARELY get into this thing from the driver's door...<P>It seems like they drop the column down on the roadsters vs. the tourings. Pictures of tourings I've seen seem to have the column actually tucked up into a "nook" in the dashboard. My dash is just flat across the bottom, and the column hangs below.<P>It seems to me that a fat man's wheel would work great on this car. I have seen two kinds in my travels - one that drops down around the column on the bottom side, and another that slides up so that the column is no longer in the center of the wheel, but towards the bottom.<P>Seems to me that I need the sliding kind for this car. Anyone else run into this? I usually don't mind just dealing with the nuances of these cars - that's half the fun! But I have now screwed up my leg TWICE getting in and out...<P>Questions?... Comments?... - Chuck :-)<p>[ 04-17-2002: Message edited by: Chuck Hadley ]

Doing my Houdini act entering and leaving my late '22 high hood touring has always been a hassel. The driver's compartment is very cramped compared to the living room sized rear compartment. I am not aware that there is a different orientation for the steering wheel between the roadster and touring in these early DBs. By the way, you've got it easy - I'm 6'6"+ and 250+ (I will never admit how much plus).

• 1 year later...

Chuck,

As Hbergh says, I have found entering on the passenger's side works for me. I have a '15 roadster with the Rex winter top and there is virtually no way for me to fit all of me under the steeering wheel with that window door post in the way. If you are looking for the 'fat man' wheel I believe the one you are looking for is the Leece Neville sliding adjustable unit. It was standard equipment on all the DB closed cars from '17 to ,I believe, '20. One might however, after finding what these are going for these days, consider an alternate method of entrance from the opposite side. Good Luck.

Rodger "Dodger" Hartley