Photobucket

Taylormade

I have a very long restoration thread on the Dodge and Dodge Brothers section of this forum.  It's up to 50 or so pages and up until page 39 all my images are third party photos from my Photobucket account.  I just learned that Photobucket has changed its policy and is removing all third party usage unless the account user coughs up $400 a year.  Since the site was basically free up to this point, this is about as close to extortion as you can get.  This is apparently causing major problems on Amazon and other commercial sites as advertisers are finding their images replaced with a logo from Photobucket to pay or lose your images.  

So, if you are using Photobucket for your site imaging, prepare to lose any and all photos you posted here.  I have been using the site download servicefor some time, and it works great.  I'm going through my thread and replacing all the Photobucket photos with site downloads, but it's a long and tedious job.  I'm making the effort because it helps me reference past work and also to help others in their restorations.  More practical then anything noble.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Xander Wildeisen said:

May sound strange, in some cases you might not own the rights to your pictures anymore. 

I've seen a disclaimer to that effect somewhere.  Is it for youtube?

Cheers,

Grog

I'd have more sympathy for their point of view if they made the service available for a reasonable price. In ten years I've used 7% of the "free" space but would have to pay $400 to continue using their service. That they did this without warning, holding hundreds, if not thousands of forum and blog sites ransom is certainly unethical even if it is legal (and there may be some question regarding that in some states). They made the offer of free space... and reneged without warning when when they came to the conclusion that their advertising revenue wasn't keeping up with their costs. All well and good... except that their users should have been given the opportunity to move their accounts or make other arrangements. The site itself was so clogged with pop-up ads that I was already looking for an alternative for the tiny number of photos I kept there and even if they backtracked, set up a different price structure and apologized I would never trust them. There is a movement among the web sites effected to bar photobucket links... so maybe they will get some of their own back. I certainly hope so.

That is what bothered me, they did this with no prior warning.  I actually pay for additional space, so it wasn't free for me.  By posting photos on this site or any other, you are basically giving up your rights to the photo. Anyone can rip you off and use your photo in a way you may not approve of.  Look at the bogus cars for sale ads using other people's photos to scam potential suckers.  I believe this will be the end of Photobucket.

More sites are hosting pictures on their servers now. In recent years I've only been posting on sites that have switched over to hosting pictures.  So I haven't needed/used PB for many years. Just as well because PB became so slow and annoying with all the popup ads that I recently deleted all my photo albums in my account and closed it out.  

Paul 

Edited by PFitz (see edit history)
  • Like 1

When you can put 17,000+ pictures on a 4GB thumb drive and still have space left why would you not store your own photos and then you have complete control over them. 

All you need to do is subscribe.  If you aren't willing to subscribe to a site why go there.  If it has information that you want/need/like then join it,

Good info Thanks.

I am getting, and have been getting for a long time Photobucket, thru my AOL Account. It was part of the AOL Package and when I open Photobucket at the top right of the screen is the AOL Logo?  AOL charges for their services which includes Virus Protection and other Programs and services that I can choose. At the bottom of the Photo Bucket Screen is a box asking for my Email Address to Subscribe to Photo Bucket and no mention of additional cost is mentioned to do so?  I think this is because AOL is covering it?

Some folks don't seem to understand what Photobucket is/was.  It was a photo hosting site.  They made/make money when people order prints/canvases/etc from them.  They think now that people will pay (and some will I'm sure) to essentially store photos.  

9 hours ago, capngrog said:

I've seen a disclaimer to that effect somewhere.  Is it for youtube?

Cheers,

Grog

Not sure if it is that way on youtube? Anything in your phone is most likely not yours anymore.  I recall the good old days when you where just told not to remove the mattress tag under penalty of law.:unsure: 

When Windows 10 came out and I Upgraded I lost the "Movie Maker" program I was using because Windows 10 & Movie Maker wasn't compatible. Later my Computer went in for service and the Computer Service Shop loaded a Program called VLC  media player that works great and is similar to Photo Bucket and Movie Maker, plus it is free. It will let you down load Pictures and Video plus other media. Google it and check it out to see if you think it is an alternative you can use, if need be. 

https://www.videolan.org/index.html

Edited by Doug Novak (see edit history)

17 hours ago, Tinindian said:

When you can put 17,000+ pictures on a 4GB thumb drive and still have space left why would you not store your own photos and then you have complete control over them. 

Same here.

Rather than clog up my computer with over 80K of work pictures, that's what I do with all my pictures. And if the computer dies I don't lose any because they are backed up on flash drives. Plus, I've been reshooting all my pre-digital print film work pix to digital.

When I need pix to help a club member with a problem with their car, or to update a customer on work progress, I can easily drag/drop the pix into emails that are more easily worked with on the receiving end then having to go to PB.

Paul

Edited by PFitz (see edit history)

I'm not familiar with Photobucket; however, this morning I did a little online research and found out that it is a photo sharing site which allows third party image hosting (TPIH).  Although I think I understand most of Photobucket's features, I'm not clear on what constitutes TPIH.  Can someone help me out here please?

I looked at Photbucket's newest "Terms of Use" page and found the following: 

"Types of Accounts, Pricing and Limits

• Visiting : There is no cost to visit the Site or to register as a Member.
  • Free account : Each individual Member gets one free account that provides 2 GB of free storage or space available for your original photo files, or videos under 10min. The free account does not allow any image linking or 3rd party image hosting. If you are interested in image linking and/or 3rd party image hosting, you will need to subscribe to one of our Plus Accounts described below. Free account Members can upgrade to a Plus account at any time."

Again, there's a reference to TPIH, and additionally something called "Image Linking".  It looks like the site remains free, unless you want to enjoy the benefits of Image Linking and/or TPIH.  I'm not clear on what those benefits are.

Anyway, if someone could give me an example of TPIH or Image Linking, I'd sure appreciate it.

Cheers,

Grog

tpih, I think it means you could see the image right here when viewing this forum, but the image was never uploaded to this forum, and is not stored on this forums server. The image you actually see here is kept on a another (third party?) website/server.

I put the link to my flikr picture, you see the pic even though I did not upload it. Lots of stuff for sale on ebay is image hosted. Easier to upload all your pics to an image host, and put a link in your ebay for sale listing, instead of uploading to eBay.

You can click on the picture and it takes you to my flikr

Alfa Romeo 1968

Edited by mike6024 (see edit history)

Yeah.  In the old days of this and every other hobbyist site where photos were useful, they had to be hosted somewhere else and linked in.  It was the only way to show photos.  Now the same sites let you just upload them directly.  

I still have all of my photos on my own devices.  I will have to take many hours to go back, figure out what photo was where in my thread, and edit every post.  

• Like 1

It's too late for some of you, but I went into my PC's "snipping tool" outlined all the photos in my thread and copied them.  I was lucky that my stuff was still intact.  I had to copy 39 pages and it took me two days, but at least I had all my photos in the correct order.  I still have to load them all in by editing each post of my thread, but I won't have to search thousands of photos trying to figure out what was originally there.

Besides my flikr.com account I think I will start using Google Photos for archiving my photographs. They also have "docs" and other things on the Google.com page under the "apps." I want to archive some (word) documents as well as some photos. I think Google photo could be used as third party hosting.

http://photos.google.com/

Edited by mike6024 (see edit history)
  • Like 1