Slotless screwdriver needed...anyone have one?

trimacar

I'm looking for a slotless screwdriver, anyone have an extra?  Prefer non-rechargeable cordless. See picture for what it would fit.   A left handed slip slot fitter might work too, so just let me know what you have.....

slot less screw.JPG

• Like 2

I'm not allowed to use credit cards anymore.  Last time I used them, I bought 10,000 screws like the one shown, my wife said I'd lost my head and she took the cards away from me.  She interferes with my type of driving, too.....

Edited by trimacar (see edit history)
  • Like 2

I have an assortment of slotless screw "impact drivers" that range in sizes from 4 ounce, for slow work, on up to 8 pounds when in a hurry. All are cordless, and only the operator needs "recharging".

Paul 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, trimacar said:

I'm looking for a slotless screwdriver, anyone have an extra?  Prefer non-rechargeable cordless. See picture for what it would fit.   A left handed slip slot fitter might work too, so just let me know what you have.....

slot less screw.JPG

Can't tell for sure from the picture, looks like it might be an X1 or 2 and these tips come in the harbor freight security bit set. If it's a half moon slot grind down a flat blade tip to fit. Don't know of any hardware chain or tool store that stocks them and special order tools take forever to get.

No, it's an X times nothing at all, there's no slot in the screw, nor any other kind of receptacle...it's smooth, minus some machine marks.....just having some fun....

Mistakes in screws are fairly uncommon.  Now, if one buys the cheap tacks, #3, #6, etc.,  (such as from McMaster Carr, although I like almost everything else they sell), you get a LOT of defects, points that are flat, probably 1 in 20 or more......

It takes a magnetic torque tip. I am heading out to the garage in a while. I will get a couple of pictures. Usually they are only used in Class 10,000 and above clean rooms. Is there a MIL spec on the box? Some have a counter EMF field, but you need the last four digits of the MIL spec.

I'll see what I have.

Bernie

Well, interesting, because the box was marked "only for use in flux turbulators".  I need to go back and see if there's a spec on the clean room, the laminar flow in same would require smoother than smooth screwbulators.  This one may very well have it's own EMF field, as it is actually hovering over the carpet, although the camera angle may not make that clear.

• Like 2

I use to have that trouble with nails. Half the ones that came out of the box had the point on the wrong end. My wife told me I should just them on the other side of the wall. Problem solved. 

• Like 2

I debated not clicking on this discussion. I think I am about burned out after my recent attempt to help a newbie with his hubcap. I should have known not to click on it but I could not resist. I guess I did need that laugh. Thanks David. :D

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, SC38DLS said:

I use to have that trouble with nails. Half the ones that came out of the box had the point on the wrong end. My wife told me I should just them on the other side of the wall. Problem solved. 

Yeah, I hate it when the M&M's are half W's, too....

Matt, I live to entertain you, just remember, relief is but a click away....

• Like 2

5 hours ago, PFitz said:

I have an assortment of slotless screw "impact drivers" that range in sizes from 4 ounce, for slow work, on up to 8 pounds when in a hurry. All are cordless, and only the operator needs "recharging".

Paul 

I do have comprehensive understanding of your tool selection, thanks, and when the first "cordless hammer" comes on the market, we'll all be looking back going "Huh, I shoulda thought 'a that"...

Everything Must Fail?  Why would a manufacturer put those initials on a car?

Very nice car, but early ones such as those look so much better with no, or down, top, and folded windshield.  There was a period when tops and windshields were a bit awkward, at best.....

4 minutes ago, trimacar said:

Yeah, I hate it when the M&M's are half W's, too..

M&M's were all W's to begin with. Some German candy salesman in Pennsylvania had trouble mit the pronunciation and messed it up.

6 hours ago, trimacar said:

slot less screw.JPG

Self-tappers....just POUND 'em in....hahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

5 minutes ago, Restorer32 said:

That's one of those screws that galds in place when you want it to come loose and comes loose when you want it to hold tight. Our solution to the problem is to use a half and half mixture of anti seize and loctite.

Well, I've tried that, but so many times people tell me I have a "screw loose", and I spend HOURS looking for it...

1 hour ago, trimacar said:

I do have comprehensive understanding of your tool selection, thanks, and when the first "cordless hammer" comes on the market, we'll all be looking back going "Huh, I shoulda thought 'a that"...

I'm just glad I didn't have to shell out for a set of the metric ones, too,...... like I had to with my English and metric adjustable wrench sets.

Paul

To tell you the truth if I get a slotted screw in anything I through them out and replace it with a Robertson screw. I will never understand why people will use a slotted screw being how it is ancient technology. Unless you are restoring an antique car to factory specifications and  then slotted screws fits right in to this category.

Joe,

I either just fixed your post or I screwed up another joke. You seem to have posted 7 identical responses. I eliminated 6 of them. Hope I did not spoil another joke.

• Like 1

Kaiser is right on with this - you'll need to get a special spiral hammer to drive them in.  No screwdriver required.

Terry

1 hour ago, Joe in Canada said:

To tell you the truth if I get a slotted screw in anything I through them out and replace it with a Robertson screw. I will never understand why people will use a slotted screw being how it is ancient technology. Unless you are restoring an antique car to factory specifications and  then slotted screws fits right in to this category.

Yes, slotted screws in American cars up until 1937 or so, then Cadillac started using Mr. Phillips creation.  Robertson screws on any pre-WWII car would just look silly.  They're great on my deck screws, though.

"Ancient technology" seems, these days, to refer to anything over a few months old.  The way things were done was not bad technology, but rather what was correct at the time.  There are oh so many things that are discussed in todays world, without an understanding and framework of both technology and moral standards of the time.  These things are then condemned and criticized, with no historical viewpoint, but rather based on today's standards.  "History is more or less bunk", Henry Ford said, then proceeded to buy historical buildings and artifacts to preserve that "bunk"  for the future....

35 minutes ago, MCHinson said:

Joe,

I either just fixed your post or I screwed up another joke. You seem to have posted 7 identical responses. I eliminated 6 of them. Hope I did not spoil another joke.

For some reason when I hit Submit it did not seem to do it so  guess  tried seven times but guess what. Then the wife wanted something done and I never checked. Sorry about that.

• Like 1

Robertson screws were actually used on Model A Fords in Canada until Henry Ford tried to control the Robertson screw company. After things fell apart Henry would not use the Robertson screw in the US or Canada either costing him an extra $2.60 per car at the Ford Windsor plant. I guess he was set in his ways.

This reminds me of an old "Scots" Uncle.  He always maintains that the proper way was to drive a screw in with a hammer.  "The slot is for takin em out ye wee barin".  My computer doesn't type brogue, sorry.

Edited by Guest (see edit history)

and don't forget Whitworth.

You can make a slotted head screw out of just about anything, just need a hacksaw or a nail file. Philips or Torx is a bit more difficult (need an offset drill). Phillips was the result of mechanical assembly needing to just press and screw.

At least half of my "inventions" were just reuse of techniques that either needed non-existant technology or had been outmoded. Was once a part of Bruce's Dead Media Project and learned quite a bit.

ps a screw also requires threads. Think the device in the original photo just had circular flanges.

Edited by padgett (see edit history)

On 7/6/2017 at 7:50 PM, Joe in Canada said:

Robertson screws were actually used on Model A Fords in Canada until Henry Ford tried to control the Robertson screw company...

Also used in the later Canadian-built Model Ts. Photo is the terminal block in my '26 Touring. 

I have sent care packages of Robertson screws to T owners in Australia (Ts for all countries in the British Empire were assembled in Canada).

26T Canadian Robertson screws.jpg

Edited by Chris Bamford (see edit history)