Luggage trunk

JO BO

Has anyone ever seen an old car luggage trunk that opened sideways to either side? It comes together at the top and closes with a latch and has a small key slot. Any ideas of age or maker? i can email pics if you like. thanks JO BO

Hi Carl and members,  This one opens on either side...one at a time or both at once. The lock on top says Eagle Lock Co. It looked interesting so I picked it up. It is a little tough for condition, but someone could pretty it up.  Looks like it has all the mounting hardware to attach to the car as well, along with the spare tire carrier. Pretty neat. Has a heavy frame attachment on the bottom to rest on and attach to car. Thanks to all who can date it and perhaps give manufacturer history etc. JO BO

1_KIMG0069.jpg

1_KIMG0070.jpg

1_KIMG0071.jpg

1_KIMG0072.jpg

Edited by JO BO (see edit history)

Seems this was discussed here several months ago. I think one was on an early '30s Stude'. The gentleman was preparing the car for a family wedding , and was having trouble with the vacuum booster on his brakes. Now , that is how I remember it , but at my age I sometimes have to laugh off inaccuracies. Maybe I will , or someone else will recall enough details to bring it up. I will try putting "vacuum booster" into  the search box. Here goes.  - Carl 

They were an "expandable" trunk. Meant to be able to open the ends to form a long box to hold  a lot more stuff.  That's why the end walls are ribbed inside for strength - like the bed of a pickup truck.

Someplace on the internet I saw an ad for them, but darned if I can find it now.

Paul

Edited by PFitz (see edit history)

5 hours ago, C Carl said:

Seems this was discussed here several months ago. I think one was on an early '30s Stude'. The gentleman was preparing the car for a family wedding , and was having trouble with the vacuum booster on his brakes. Now , that is how I remember it , but at my age I sometimes have to laugh off inaccuracies. Maybe I will , or someone else will recall enough details to bring it up. I will try putting "vacuum booster" into  the search box. Here goes.  - Carl 

Craig

I bought the one that we discussed previously. It turns out it wouldn't work on my car because of the tail lights.

I gave it to my neighbor, I don't think he is using it either. Yet at least.

If I am remembering correctly it opens to six feet.

Chevy made one that expanses to the rear . Very rare , I pick up one at Hershey last year . Going to redo it and put it on my 32 .Only made it few months in 1932.  kings32

Those are nice trunks. Thanks everyone for searching for the one I have. The post on the 33 Studebaker seems to have it pretty close. It is for sale if anyone wants to make an offer. Thanks again JO BO