How to Ship a Fender

Harold

I've been trying to sell an NOS Plymouth fender for quite a while.   I've been reluctant to provide shipping because I'm concerned about shipping damage on a large sheet metal part.  I think my 'no-shipping' stance is costing me sales.  How do you ship a fender?  Does it have to be wrapped or boxed?  Are there carriers that seem to be more careful than others?  It's a '50-'52 rear fender, by the way.  Any ideas appreciated.

Thanks,

Harold

The factory shipped it back when it was new, I don't see why it can't be shipped 66 years later. I had BOTH 1938 Ford front fenders and HOOD shipped from the Midwest to the Fastenal depot in Fishkill N.Y.for under $200.00, sure beats the cost of gas and my drive time. Bob

Edited by 1937hd45 (see edit history)

10 hours ago, 1937hd45 said:

The factory shipped it back when it was new, I don't see why it can't be shipped 66 years later. I had BOTH 1938 Ford front fenders and HOOD shipped from the Midwest to the Fastenal depot in Fishkill N.Y.for under $200.00, sure beats the cost of gas and my drive time. Bob

I agree with Bob. I just had a skid of four tires,wheels & drums shipped 1/2 way across the USA for $125. 

• Like 1

I have also shipped fenders in home made cardboard boxes via Greyhound Buses.  Fast, cheap & easy.  They charge by weight, not volume.  Only problem is the receiver has to got to the Greyhound Bus Station to pick it up, still a great deal.

• Like 1

Only problem is the receiver has to got to the Greyhound Bus Station to pick it up, still a great deal.

In my case it is in the ghetto and I am afraid to get out of my truck.  The only other problem is there is no tracking. 

I spend a lot of time years ago trying to form a box around two fenders trying to be under the chain rule of L + w + h to be less than the magic number.  I gave up and went to the post office and they said no need to box it.  Just cover any sharp edges and it was cheaper.  Unless you have access to heavy cardboard or crate it, what protection will a standard cardboard box provide to a fender?  The box may even give the handlers the idea they can throw it and pile on top.  A loose odd shaped item is more likely to ride on top.

• Like 1

I too have had great success with Fastenal and recommend them highly.  As for cardboard vs. a crate, yes the factory shipped these in cardboard when new.  The big difference is that when these fenders were new, if one got destroyed in a shipping mishap, you simply pulled another one off the rack.  That typically isn't an option today.  I ship hard-to-replace parts in a crate.  You and your buyer can decide if the cost savings for a less protective container justifies the added risk of damage.

On ‎7‎/‎4‎/‎2017 at 5:58 AM, Harold said:

Thanks for your ideas.  There is a Fastenal store near my office so I'll stop by during lunch one day and ask some questions.

All they will do is supply you with a phone number.

You might save the trip and call them.

The local stores have nothing to do with it other than be the drop off and pick up location.