Best Kind of Fire Extinguisher to Have?

Buick Farmer

I seem to remember reading an article on which type of Fire Extinguisher to buy for old cars! It said that some extinguisher are bigger problem than the fire.

Does anyone know?? I have an leaking carb on the 55 Roadmaster!  So this has sparked my interest!!!

Need to get all the cars re-outfitted for the summer.

Noticed a couple where on the low side of good!

Thank you !!

Bob

ABC is most universal, but most car fires are B (liquid) or C (electrical). 

CO2 or Halons will leave no mess behind, but are usually BC only (some halons include the A (solids), but those are among the most expensive).

Dry chemical will work on just about anything, but will leave you with a nice mess. Ingesting dry chem is very hard on engine internals. 

Think:

A:  Things that leave ASH. 

B:  Things that BOIL. 

C:  Things that carry CURRENT. 

• Like 1

Carbon Dioxide ( CO 2 )  would be most effective

Pros --- will knock almost anything out , no mess

Cons --- expensive, don't last very long on discharge, dissipates oxygen so not to be used in confined spaces ( with you in there )

Dry chemical / powder

Pros --- will knock almost anything out, cheap to buy

Cons --- very very messy, corrosive towards sensitive electrical components

Halon

Pros --- very effective, no mess

Cons ---  environmentally unfriendly ( very ) ,  banned in most countries , very expensive if you can get hold of one but most likely won't be able to get it refilled.

Water

Pros --- cheap, very effective on Class A fires ( carbon based, wood, paper, fabrics etc. )

Cons  ----  Class A fires only.  Not to be used on oil, electrical, metal, or burning fat fires ( eg. your burning chip fryer )

2 hours ago, Rooster said:

Halon

Pros --- very effective, no mess

Cons ---  environmentally unfriendly ( very ) ,  banned in most countries , very expensive if you can get hold of one but most likely won't be able to get it refilled.

I buy & have Halon 1211 bottles serviced & filled all the time.  A "kitchen" size 1211 bottle will cost you about $250 new. 

And its no more environmentally unfriendly than R12, however unfriendly as you may think freon is. 

Edited by SpecialEducation (see edit history)

ABC is recommended for vehicles, but most importantly, it should be within reach of the driver of the vehicle and easily removable.  

Doesn't do you any good to carry it in the trunk if you have a fire under the hood.  Will be too late by the time you can get at it.

Edited by jackofalltrades70 (see edit history)
  • Like 2

Answer: One that is close to the fire. (What Matt said)

Whenever I am working on my cars where there is raw gas and ignition goin on,  I always have large size towel soaked in water close by that can be tossed on the top of the carb/engine to smother the flames. Have used it twice and makes for a much easier clean up.

Edited by MrEarl
add Matt reference (see edit history)
  • Like 4

4 hours ago, MrEarl said:

Answer: One that is close to the fire. (What Matt said)

Whenever I am working on my cars where there is raw gas and ignition goin on,  I always have large size towel soaked in water close by that can be tossed on the top of the carb/engine to smother the flames. Have used it twice and makes for a much easier clean up.

Good idea, but I'm afraid that with the heat and humidity around here,  I'd be using that water soaked towel as a turban.

• Like 1

Being a Newbie to the Forum. I am grateful for the responses.  I will try a get a BC extinguisher I see a Kidde on Amazon for $28.81.  I do like the wet towel idea! I have the garden hose in the shop, but in an emergency untwisting the hose, running back to turn on the pressure maybe too late!!!

Excellent Ideas!!

Thank You All!!

It was the BCA requirements to have one with the car that prompted me to have one in every vehicle. Go to your local hardware store or superstore (or if need be Wal-Mart or similar) and see what they have. 

When I emptied my Envision after the crash, the firemen on the scene were heartened and complimentary when I pulled the extinguisher out. They don't see it often enough. 

• Like 2