Fourth of July - What are you putting in a parade?

Jack56C

I will be driving my 70 Chevelle SS454 in the Woodstown 4th of July parade. It's special this year for our family as my late son in-laws uncle is the Grand Marshall. He's a Vietnam vet that was wounded in action. My whole family will be riding with me to Honor this Hero.5959955ba7b24_DSCN3254(1024x768).thumb.jpg.6574f9b54cb89e9fb88ff79ecd61b8e9.jpg

Edited by dbirchmire (see edit history)
  • Like 2

The 38 Studebaker State Commander. Remember the vets that made this holiday happen. Our local church has six revolutionary war vets buried in it. Every holiday there are flags put at each military vet grave and these six get large flags on theirs. The church was founded before the constitution was rarified. That sight makes you really appreciate the holiday. Have a fun safe 4th 

I'm putting three cars in the parade of the City of Piedmont, California (City founded in 1907 as a bedroom community for San Francisco after the 1906 earthquake, 11,000 residents, entirely surrounded by Oakland, and where I grew up many years ago).  I'll drive my 1918 Pierce-Arrow 48 Dual Valve touring; my lady friend Ann will again drive my 1930 P-A roadster, carrying the Mayor and his wife in the rumble seat; and my friend and neighbor Tim will drive my 1948 Jeepster with a city council member and his family.  Ann is very skilled with the four-speed crash box in the roadster, and is working on her certification in the 4-speed, 2-wheel-brake 1918.  We'll have about 25 pre-1950 cars including a large contingent of HCCA vehicles.  The car side of the parade is organized by a past president of HCCA, who hosts a post-parade BBQ at his home for the pre-1950 car people.  I've now been participating in this parade for over 30 years.

The Piedmont Parade was slightly famous for its marching drill team performing a synchronized manual of arms with folding aluminum lawn chairs, playing off the synchronized briefcase drill team in the Rose Bowl Parade. Alas, the lawn chair team disbanded a few years ago. In its day, it performed on the Johnny Carson Show.  It was hilarious to watch!

Wow ! Now THAT is the way to decorate an early open car ! I'll have to take a lesson from you ! Two years ago the '24 cad had but a relative few flags left over on Argentine Independence Day which falls 5 days after our own. Little Mary Eagelette invited me down to the Salmon Bay Eagles to celebrate more independence. I parked out back. Bill walked out with a drink in his hand , confident that all attention would be directed elsewhere. He did in fact get away with it. 

Now out out here at the ranch , it's looking like a horsepower 4th. And speaking of Eagles , they DO fly along with Old Glory 'round these parts. The wind was perfect before sunset , so I stepped out to get a pic of the Star Spangled Banner. Dear friendly Sugar posed for me on the way. Then she headed West towards Mt. Rainier and greener pastures. Plenty of very good grass on the fenced 150 acres she grazes here. 

I frequently wonder. I really wonder how we will celebrate our 250th. Freedom. Independence. How would those farsighted Revolutionaries regard the country they built , and would they even recognize it ? I wonder. The doctors tell me I have an outside chance to make it to the 250th. I would love to. My '24 would have had it's 100th , the '27 Cad would have one year to go. I wonder what those gentlemen could tell us if they were riding the running boards nine years from now. Mmmmmmmm...........

SAFE HAPPY 241st , ALL !    -  Carl 

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Edited by C Carl
Finish my thoughts (see edit history)

I will be driving my 1957 T-Bird (white with a red interior) in the National Independence Day Parade in Washington, DC. I am scheduled to carry Miss America's Outstanding Teen 2017. Hopefully there will be no thundershowers in the morning.

Regards,

Lew Bachman

I was out making a Craigslist buy and I was one wrong turn and about 3 minutes from being in a parade in a 2007 Mercedes E350... oops. :)

I found it a little strange that they didn't have traffic blocked from the way I was coming in.  I guess I could have just rolled down the windows, turned on some patriotic music and waved to the crowd.  Given the heat and humidity I'm sure I would have been one of the few participants not worried about overheating!!

Edited by Luv2Wrench (see edit history)