It doesn't matter where he is.  Bearings are measured in mm.  They are all manufactured in mm.  In fact if you give the counterman the measurements properly he can tell you the basic number of the bearing (if he has been properly trained).  Then the letters designate 1 or 2 grooves for snap rings, and 1 or 2 seals and the number of balls.

• Like 1

What part of the bearing is bad?  Reason I ask is my inner and outer races were fine and hard as heck.  My ball bearings had started to spall.

I ordered new balls from McMaster Carr, carefully pried open the cages and replaced the balls.  That was 20,000 mIles ago.  Two inspections since.  All good.  Cheap too.

Thr rear double row ball assemblies are still available cheap from any bearing house, this is a common large bearing.

And correct to the comment above, these and most all bearings are metric even back then.

• Like 2

024.thumb.jpg.3492cf606ae1defd3297b8043132d3b1.jpg

hi james

I'm in new Zealand so not to far from you when I restored my car I went to skf and other big bearing shops and no one could supply me with bearings and they could not do a cross reference they were of no help to me at all 

a lot of the people on this site seem to be from the usa and it looks like they are able to get there hands on shops that have old stock to use luckily them

when I did my front wheels up I did some machine work and changed them to tapered rollers a much better set up but it did take a lot of time and some money

also when I did my car up I did not have the internet so it was hard to contact people overseas to buy parts

I have found that almost all the bearings on the buick are hard to get in new zealand as they seem to be a odd size, gear box, back wheel bearings great big long things with the inner riveted to the diff housing  etc

I have also found that you need to be careful with some shops as they are not quite right and it can cost more to send back than what they are worth and these are shops that sell buick parts 

I have had a lot of luck with  sales@surplusbearings.com.au

close to your home good luck tony

also it would be nice if you updated your profile to show where you are from

595dcc989f97e_IMG_3498(1).thumb.JPG.762a9c909cb7f32b714e0b8a7e28e9e5.JPG

On ‎7‎/‎1‎/‎2017 at 10:37 AM, Tinindian said:

It doesn't matter where he is.  Bearings are measured in mm.  They are all manufactured in mm.  In fact if you give the counterman the measurements properly he can tell you the basic number of the bearing (if he has been properly trained).  Then the letters designate 1 or 2 grooves for snap rings, and 1 or 2 seals and the number of balls.

That's interesting news Tinindian. We'll have to tell the folks at Timken they can save lots of paper the next time they print their catalog.

Capture.JPG

Edited by JerryVan (see edit history)

I am going to have to take exception to Brian's comment about the double row rear wheel bearings as being cheap.  I replaced these bearings on the rear axle on my 1916.  The originals were a NDH (New Departure/Hyatt) bearing.  At one time NDH was under the General Motors Corporate umbrella.  I used my bearing interchange catalog and found a Timken bearing number replacement.  I asked the guys at IBT (Industrial Bearing and Transmission) here in Hutchinson to verify my search.  The new Timken number was good and they were only $300.00 apiece.  Since the guys out there knew my Dad and me, they took pity on me and I got both bearings for $275.00.  The new Timken bearings are what are referred to as 'shielded'.  Both sides are enclosed and totally maintenance free.  For what this is worth, all dimensions for this bearing was given in imperial figures in my interchange catalog.  When I worked at John Deere, I had a supervisor tell me and several other guys that the metric system was nothing but a communist plot to overthrow the free world.  We all learned inches, pounds, and miles when we were growing up - works for me.  So, Brian, $275.00 ain't cheap where I come from.

Terry Wiegand

South Hutchinson, Kansas

17 hours ago, James veld said:

Timken are usless they made the products but when it came to replace the bearing they sent me one sure but it was way to small so i wouldn't trust anything that they print ever

What did you order, what did they send you, and how does it differ from the published specs?

Terry,

Do you have the number?  It was something like a 4 inch (100mm) dia x 2 inch (50mm) wide.  I just looked up a 4211 (which is a 4x2 double row) and they are ~$75 online.  I paid ~$50 20 years ago.  I still have the old bearing in the new (20 year old) box in my stash of Buick parts.  Let me get the correct number tonight and look it up.  And my new ones came with side shields that help keep debris out and grease in.

Brian, I bought these bearings back in 2009 when Bill Calimer made the new set of wheels for the car.  The Timken number for these bearings is - 5310W.  I am very sure that in the course of seven model years the rear axle design changed somewhat.  Please keep in mind that the D-54 and D-55's rear axle was used on the one ton GMC truck at the time.  The D-40 series rear axles were not that much lighter in design.  I will be curious as to what you come up with for a price for the bearings I'm using here.

Terry Wiegand

South Hutchinson, Kansas

On 7/1/2017 at 7:22 AM, ILIKECARS53 said:

Give George Bachleda at Olcar Bearing at try.  Here is his address and phone number..... 135 James Creek. Southern Pines, NC. 28387 910-693-3324.  Great to work with.

George is great guy to do business with. He has always had what I need, and has always sent me my order with the bill plus shipping, then I send a check.. Not many trusting souls like that anymore..  Tom

1923 uses same.

See pics of my old one. Quick search says they are now ~$100 online.

George is a nice guy.  Interested in his price.  It was triple when I asked compared to Detroit Ball Bearing counter price years ago.

Do your homework is all I'm saying.

20170717_211312.jpg

20170717_211532.jpg

20170717_211551.jpg

• 5 weeks later...