cast aluminum wheel covers

Chasander

I tbink that all Buick wheels from full sized models came with wheels that will accommodate the turbine wheel cover.  I've removed clips to hold poverty caps from these wheels.  I think that the turbine was designed to fit existing Buick wheels.  Remember 5.5" and 6" wheels require different length studs on the back of the turbine.  5.5" wheels came on cars originally equipped with 7.10 x 15 tires.  6" wheels came on cars equipped with the optional "oversized" 7.60 x 15 tires.

• Like 1

On 8/5/2019 at 9:48 AM, dr914 said:

as I remember the wires were more expensive than the turbines, so my Dad got the turbines instead

From the files of the ROA's website.  You also have to remember that the prices shown are what you paid over and above the cost of the standard wheel cover.  If someone has a parts book, perhaps they could look up what the replacement cost would have been.

M-7 Wire Wheel Covers 23.65

M-9 Cast Aluminum Wheel Covers 66.55

Edited by RivNut (see edit history)
  • Like 1

On 4/29/2018 at 1:02 PM, TexRiv_63 said:

I had a set of 63 NOS caps years ago. While the raised areas were polished from the factory they were not ultra shiny and still had slight "texture" here and there. Most restored ones seem to be over polished, but yours look great Mike.

TexRiv_63, 

How does this emblem look to you?

Turbinator

B361345B-4356-4002-BFF7-C6BA68A82A6A.jpeg

• Like 1

On 8/6/2019 at 9:00 AM, Pat Curran said:

I'm a big fan of the turbines!  The 64's look better with the black paint between the vanes IMO.  And yes, all the standard wheels for the 63-64 Riviera's had the slots for the turbines even if the car was not fitted with the option.

Pat, I’ve learned how to powder coat the cast aluminum turbine webs and vanes. I believe the powder coat is superior to paint, especially the rattle can paint, the powder coat is strong on durability. Maintaining the powder coat I believe is easier than paint. 

Turvinator. Attached is a powder coat finish.

E8F09393-E05C-4F71-AAC4-FD63080CF749.jpeg

3D07665C-9648-4864-A01D-5A424EB94816.jpeg

Edited by Turbinator (see edit history)
  • Like 1

On 8/4/2019 at 3:15 PM, 60FlatTop said:

Not a consensus, just one opinion, but I have a general rule that whatever an owner spends on his car, he will get about 25% out of that in added valve. That has been pretty consistent over the past 50 years.

Bernie, have you collected and saved the hard data? The older we get the better we were. You have much more experience in autos than I have. Collecting data and using analytic tools to make a determination is tricky business. Now, politicians and salesman are quick with facts and figures. Statisticians, at least the honest ones, are slow to make statements without doing their homework.

You get an A for beginning with ...” just an opinion.”

Turbinator

2 hours ago, Turbinator said:

Bernie, have you collected and saved the hard data? The older we get, the better we were. 

Turbinator

So true.  I went to college on a track scholarship. I know that's hard for you guys who are aware of my girth to believe that but I  was a sprinter.  I went to a big track meet a couple of years ago and saw THE T-shirt that I should have been wearing.  Some guy about my size and age was wearing it.  On the back was this: "The older I get, the faster I ran." So true.  If you ran  9.8 hundred yard dash in the day; by the time you're 30, you remember running it in 9.7.   At 50, you remember it as 9.6.  And so it goes.

4 hours ago, RivNut said:

So true.  I went to college on a track scholarship. I know that's hard for you guys who are aware of my girth to believe that but I  was a sprinter.  I went to a big track meet a couple of years ago and saw THE T-shirt that I should have been wearing.  Some guy about my size and age was wearing it.  On the back was this: "The older I get, the faster I ran." So true.  If you ran  9.8 hundred yard dash in the day; by the time you're 30, you remember running it in 9.7.   At 50, you remember it as 9.6.  And so it goes.

Ed, before know it you are 3 tenths faster than the world record.

Turbinator

On 8/4/2019 at 10:39 AM, Chasander said:

Shiny spokes sure dress up a Riviera  

No doubt shiny spikes look great. Having the turbines is like having an extra pair of “ shoes” for your ride. The turbines go on easy enough. It is a matter of taste and there is no arguing when it comes to personal taste.

Turbinator

12 hours ago, Turbinator said:

Bernie, have you collected and saved the hard data?

Yep, some hard, mostly folding. That data is what I fund my old car hobby with.

To Ed's question of additional value, it is not an immediate appraisal value. It is at the time of sale. When a buyer asks for a lower price the seller can say "Sure, I will keep the turbine wheel covers and let you have $2,000 off. I have a set on standard caps to put on." That's when you get the value.  Over the years I have done that with many accessories and new parts, even tires and batteries.

I made that a policy of mine at a memorable point about 35 years ago. In the intervening time I have found the buyer wants the car in tact more than a reduced price.

Bernie

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Turbinator said:

Ed, before know it you are 3 tenths faster than the world record.

Turbinator

If all of us live to be 100, we'll be across the finish line before the starter's gun even goes off.  Running at Mach 1.

On 8/7/2019 at 6:47 PM, Turbinator said:

I’ve learned how to powder coat the cast aluminum turbine webs and vanes.

Good day.

First off, you do an amazing job on restoring these covers, well done. And for what it's worth, my preference is indeed the look of the cast aluminium covers over the spokes. Outta curiosity, have you powder coated any in black for a '64 application? 

Later,

Mike Swick

Edmonton, AB

----

On 8/10/2019 at 10:35 AM, MikeJS said:

Good day.

First off, you do an amazing job on restoring these covers, well done. And for what it's worth, my preference is indeed the look of the cast aluminium covers over the spokes. Outta curiosity, have you powder coated any in black for a '64 application? 

Later,

Mike Swick

Edmonton, AB

----

Mike, I just wrote a note that evaporated. I have not powder coated any 64’s. I do have an order for a set of 64 restorations I can powder coat. Here are some recent 63’s I’ve powder coated. The new powder gun and curing oven help the jobs come out better. Cast aluminum is hard to powder coat, real hard. Touch up after touch up adds to the tedium. Fortunately, I’ve learned better touch up technique on powder coating. You just have to be c a r e f u l.

Thank you for your compliments.

Turbinator 

FC601437-D4D1-4DE5-9DC9-55FAAD559DDF.jpeg

09771BB5-99D2-4BCC-BD07-C1D7AC91B9D7.jpeg

On 7/2/2017 at 6:42 AM, Eric's.64.Superwildcat said:

Ah, now I understand.  Thank you Tom!  

Eric, the cast aluminum cover that bolts to the wheel is one piece. The center cap that covers the hole in the middle of the wheel is the second piece. The two bar spinner is the third piece and the emblem that goes in the two bar spinner is the fourth piece . Four hex head screws hold the spinnner/emblem on to the center cap.

if you are looking for 63 Tri shield emblems I have them brand new.

DDB00280-B301-4DAC-B720-B4BE5BFE1552.jpeg

• 1 year later...
On 3/17/2018 at 12:44 AM, MikeJS said:

We have terrible exchange rate against the US dollar, but I'm more than willing to pay fair market US$ plus reasonable shipping.

Sir, if you are still in the market for wheel covers let me know. I restore cast aluminum turbines 63/64.

TURBINATOR

E4520FF6-61FC-401A-8DC4-84473F4AD0A2.jpeg

B9060F13-BB49-4382-AE34-FC894418B8D3.jpeg

• Like 3

3 hours ago, frenchy51 said:

Definitely a good read and lots of knowledge.

Frenchy, you are pretty sharp yourself. When you found the Chevy vent cable you were able to use on your turn signal set I thought pretty sharp.

How do you like your engine rebuild?

My 401 has satisfied me quite a bit with the rebuild I had done at JB Engine Machines Rosedale Md. 

I remember your red paint looking real good on your zRiviera.

Turbinator

• Like 1

I went to the big high school invitational track meet (each participant has to meet a minimum time or distance to compete - very competitive) a few years ago an saw an older fellow with this on the back of his T-shirt. "The older I get, the faster I ran." Sound familiar?  No one else was around to doubt you. I think my 100 yard dash times have gone from 9.7 to 9.2 over the past couple of decades.

On 4/17/2021 at 10:18 AM, Turbinator said:

Frenchy, you are pretty sharp yourself. When you found the Chevy vent cable you were able to use on your turn signal set I thought pretty sharp.

How do you like your engine rebuild?

My 401 has satisfied me quite a bit with the rebuild I had done at JB Engine Machines Rosedale Md. 

I remember your red paint looking real good on your zRiviera.

Turbinator

PM Sent

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/10/2019 at 10:35 AM, MikeJS said:

Outta curiosity, have you powder coated any in black for a '64 application? 

Mike, I’ve done numerous 64 black satin vane and web powdercoat. The results vary from outstanding to “ do-over” and get it right. The variance in the finish is a result of the surface condition of the vanes and webs. A decision is made how can this powder coating job can present a 58 year old porous rough service? I try to price and present the finished product at an obtainable price. Many hours of bench work go into bringing these wheel covers back to life. Newly chromed spinners and NORS emblems are a real good start for a sharp set of wheelcovers. 
The powder coating finish is as hard as nails and holds up very well. Masking the wheelcover is tedious and takes an hour for each wheelcover. Tape that is high heat tolerant is what I use.

TurbinatotBB4EF46C-DD9C-4855-AB4D-8C12C7D63D71.jpeg.dfa1624d9462dd7247594749618ea5bd.jpeg

Edited by Turbinator (see edit history)

• 1 month later...
On 4/16/2021 at 11:26 AM, Turbinator said:

Sir, if you are still in the market for wheel covers let me know. I restore cast aluminum turbines 63/64.

TURBINATOR

E4520FF6-61FC-401A-8DC4-84473F4AD0A2.jpeg

B9060F13-BB49-4382-AE34-FC894418B8D3.jpeg

Turbinator,

Do you have or have you done any of these that would replace the standard wheel covers on a 71 Riviera?  Don't love the look of my current wheel covers so trying to decide whether to find a set of Buick Rallye's, an aftermarket set of rims, or possibly some turbines.

Thanks,

Damon

10 minutes ago, TheTaxMan said:

Turbinator,

Do you have or have you done any of these that would replace the standard wheel covers on a 71 Riviera?  Don't love the look of my current wheel covers so trying to decide whether to find a set of Buick Rallye's, an aftermarket set of rims, or possibly some turbines.

Thanks,

Damon

Damon, happen to have 3 Rallyes OEM that fit 70 and up 895’s. The turbines require a Buick specific 15” wheel ( black steel) that had 4 holes factory bored for the turbine stud bolts to go through and tightened to the wheel from the inside with a 5/16” x18 flange nut. Damon on 71 Buick zRiviera wheel covers I’d have familiarize myself with their construction. Condition of the metal and work process dictates if it makes sense to renew. Fortunately the turbines can be repaired via TIG welding. So far I’ve been able to reshape the weld to match the contours of the turbine. To save the bling on the turbines I apply a polymer resin clear coat that holds the shine and keeps corrosion out. The shine in cold weather can turn cloudy. In warm weather the cloudy Gray finish goes away. Some customers want it to look like chrome. I can get a mirror finish on the turbines but so mirror you can floss your teeth. The metal is 58/59 years old, porous, and filthy. I put my health at risk when I use a highly caustic acid bath to get the wheelcovers clean. Damon want to talk and or send me pics of your wheel covers Id be happy to earn your business or least help you go in the right direction. 443.386.7356

6 minutes ago, Turbinator said:

Damon, happen to have 3 Rallyes OEM that fit 70 and up 895’s. The turbines require a Buick specific 15” wheel ( black steel) that had 4 holes factory bored for the turbine stud bolts to go through and tightened to the wheel from the inside with a 5/16” x18 flange nut. Damon on 71 Buick zRiviera wheel covers I’d have familiarize myself with their construction. Condition of the metal and work process dictates if it makes sense to renew. Fortunately the turbines can be repaired via TIG welding. So far I’ve been able to reshape the weld to match the contours of the turbine. To save the bling on the turbines I apply a polymer resin clear coat that holds the shine and keeps corrosion out. The shine in cold weather can turn cloudy. In warm weather the cloudy Gray finish goes away. Some customers want it to look like chrome. I can get a mirror finish on the turbines but so mirror you can floss your teeth. The metal is 58/59 years old, porous, and filthy. I put my health at risk when I use a highly caustic acid bath to get the wheelcovers clean. Damon want to talk and or send me pics of your wheel covers Id be happy to earn your business or least help you go in the right direction. 443.386.7356

Ok, so it seems unlikely that my wheels have the 4 holes factory bored to attach the turbine.  I will take a look at the wheel covers this weekend and take pictures.  Not sure I want to restore them or not.  Your turbines that you show look great so I can see the hard work you put in them.

52 minutes ago, TheTaxMan said:

Ok, so it seems unlikely that my wheels have the 4 holes factory bored to attach the turbine.  I will take a look at the wheel covers this weekend and take pictures.  Not sure I want to restore them or not.  Your turbines that you show look great so I can see the hard work you put in them.

You could possibly mount a set of the earlier 15x6 wheels (same 5 on 5 bolt battern) on your 71 and mount the turbines on them but knowing that the 895 rally wheels for the 71> Buicks have a different back spacing than the 853/802 <71 wheels could give you a clearance problem as well as the profile needed to clear your disk brake calipers.  Ask Turbinator about some 1965 Gran Sport wheel covers. Same spinner, similar look.  Last I heard he was trying to create some from OE parts.

93f086601e2c1765de3144ea1f372e3e.jpg

Edited by RivNut
Added photo (see edit history)

Damon, Ed ( Rivnik) pointed out my error on years. I have only one 853 Rallye wheel that fits your 1970 Riviera. The Turbines take a 15 “Buick wheel ( either 63 or 63/65) with holes bored. With four replacement Buick wheels and 4 turbines complete you are looking at nearly $2k. Shipping is about $40.00 for the Turbines. The Buick wheels are another story. All of my emblems are newly manufactured.

ALL my wheel covers are crack free b/c they are TIG welded repair. All stud mounts are functional. The webs and vanes are powder coated. The poly resin clear coat is an add on to keep the shine and white rust away. The poly resin can be reapplied

by you if the finish wears as years go by. 
Another option Ed points out is the 65 GS premium wheel cover. If you have a a 15” wheel now these could fit.

4CA0039D-AD90-456A-A20D-587C7E6ADDB5.jpeg