cast aluminum wheel covers

Chasander

• 4 weeks later...
On 3/16/2018 at 11:00 PM, RivNut said:

but I'll look them over and see what's in the stack that may be better than what you already have.

Ed, good day, hope all is well…

Since I last posted back in mid March, I was able to locate one of these wheel covers off of a ’63 (unpainted) from a Canadian seller in reasonable shape, (at a VERY good price, don't ask...:) ) and just showed up today. It's in need of a couple minor repairs, a bit of polishing and then paint for the ’64. (Also came with a bonus spinner, albeit cracked tri-shield centre,  overall in pretty good shape, photo attached…)

In searching for information related to these turbine wheel covers, a handful of links refer back to this forum in various topics, and you seem to be very knowledgeable. If you don't mind, I just want to confirm that the area between the vanes is indeed painted black for the ‘64.

The reason I ask, is that in this discussion from the aaca way-back machine of 2007,

http://forums.aaca.org/topic/103896-correct-wheel-coverhubcaps-for-1964/

you wrote;’

“The center of the knock off has a large black plastic piece in it with the silver Riviera R. .. (clipped for brevity... my bold->) The centers of the turbines are painted a dark charcoal grey, not black.

In various other posts, and most pictures that I can see, these certainly do look like they are painted black between the vanes. Maybe I’m misinterpreting the 2007 post, but are these indeed painted black or charcoal grey?

Also, just for clarity, in a lot of photos it's tough to tell, but are the vertical portions of the vanes supposed to be painted or unpainted? I suspect the latter, but I'm not 100%

As mentioned, Ed, I was hoping to find two of these, but now I only need one. I’m not sure if you’ve had a chance to organize your collection for the ROA meet, but I’m still interested in acquiring one more of these in reasonable shape. Also, if you have or know where to find the correct centre R plastic thingies, I could use a couple of those. I’d prefer to buy them from someone that knows that they are indeed the correct ones to fit these particular spinners as opposed to me trying to buy them by guess by golly…

Thanks.

Later,

Mike

image1-7.JPG

The centers are the same that were on the base wheel cover.  Usually these don't get the abuse that the knock off centers fget.

I may ha e been wrong about the color.  The  ore I see them, the  ore I think they may be black.  I think I have a couple of rough 64s in my stack.  I'll see how far up the vanes the paint goes and get back to you.  While I'm looking through them, I'll see what I have and what condition they're in.

Ed

Edited by RivNut (see edit history)

3 hours ago, 1965rivgs said:

Yes, black is the correct color. Vertical surfaces? Dont quite understand which area you are referring to? Do you mean the outward facing surface of the vanes? Those should be bright Al, not black

Tom Mooney

Tom, good day.

Thanks.

The portion of the vanes I was wondering about is what is shown in the photo in green tape. It appears that based on the photo above and Pat's subsequent comment that the entire area is indeed painted black leaving only the outer portion of the vanes unpainted. This would make sense as I can't imagine the challenge of polishing and subsequently masking to keep those "vertical" portions unpainted. Keeping just the thin portion of each vane (exposed to outward view) unpainted should be relatively easy to mask off.

For a similar application of masking , I've coated the portion to remain unpainted with vasoline then after the paint is cured, I've carefully wiped the vasoline off . No paint seepage below tape, worked like a charm...

For what it's worth, and obviously I'm a little biased, but as objectively as possible, I do think these are one of the classiest looking factory wheel covers to come out of Detroit...

Thanks again for the input, guys, much appreciated.

Later,

Mike

Taped Wheel.jpg

43 minutes ago, MikeJS said:

Tom, good day.

Thanks.

The portion of the vanes I was wondering about is what is shown in the photo in green tape. It appears that based on the photo above and Pat's subsequent comment that the entire area is indeed painted black leaving only the outer portion of the vanes unpainted. This would make sense as I can't imagine the challenge of polishing and subsequently masking to keep those "vertical" portions unpainted. Keeping just the thin portion of each vane (exposed to outward view) unpainted should be relatively easy to mask off.

For a similar application of masking , I've coated the portion to remain unpainted with vasoline then after the paint is cured, I've carefully wiped the vasoline off . No paint seepage below tape, worked like a charm...

For what it's worth, and obviously I'm a little biased, but as objectively as possible, I do think these are one of the classiest looking factory wheel covers to come out of Detroit...

Thanks again for the input, guys, much appreciated.

Later,

Mike

Taped Wheel.jpg

Oh, I see, the photo which Eric posted is correct. I`m partial to the covers also, very nice,

Tom

24 minutes ago, Pat Curran said:

Another way do do it besides the vaseline is to use a rag dampened (not wet) with lacquer thinner to remove excess paint on the top surface of the vanes.  And you are right, a classy looking wheel cover for sure.

I do this while the paint has yet to cure completely.  I use the blue heavy paper shop towels dipped into lacquer thinner then stretched over the edge of a body putty spreader.  Not wet enough to drip, thin enough to touch only the surface you want, and sharp enough for a straight line.  

Youll want to work on the bright finishes before painting. It makes clean up easier and you're not trying to polish something next to fresh paint.

6 hours ago, 1965rivgs said:

Yes, black is the correct color. Vertical surfaces? Dont quite understand which area you are referring to? Do you mean the outward facing surface of the vanes? Those should be bright Al, not black

Tom Mooney

Tom, 

Gloss or Satin black?

On 4/24/2018 at 11:54 AM, RivNut said:

Gloss or Satin black?

I'm wondering at this point, without specific paint codes, that the choice is one of personal preference? Once again, searching on-line , it's very difficult to determine if these are painted satin or gloss, and whether or not some of the pictures of amazing restorations used the 'correct' sheen when they restored their cars...

As a bit of progress on the one I'm currently restoring. The first process was to clean the entire wheel cover and then go over it with an SOS pad...

Progress half way through, the SOS pads did an amazing job at getting them pretty cleaned up and well on their way to a decent shine...

2022012328_CoverProgress1.JPG.8fda3bbbb75646df1346cd71f281348f.JPG

For what it's worth, I used the piece of rigid insulation as a mounting pad to ensure I didn't damage the stud housings as I manhandled my way through the process...

Following the SOS clean, I used sand paper ranging from 340grit to 1200 depending on the severity of the scratches and road rash. In one location I used 220, but for all intent and purpose, most of the minor pitting came out at 600+ but I didn't get too worried about perfection. 

Following the sanding, I tried my hand at using a rouge and a buffing wheel for the first time. For kicks and giggles, I started with red rouge, and within seconds, I was blown away at how easy it was to get the aluminium to shine.

172135657_CoverProgress2.JPG.67ebb4e9ff34f59938133c07b9c9920d.JPG

At a certain point I decided I could live with this level of shine as the shinier it got, the more the minor imperfections show up at 2-ft away while working on it. I'm sure once it's on the car, I'll be pretty happy and probably won't even find the spots that have added to my 'stress' cleaning this one up...

213469623_CoverProgress3.JPG.774e7be5807f40310a283c3a4cb50eea.JPG

Again, far from perfect, but from where I started to where I'm at, I'm pretty happy with the results. Although this is off of a '63 and is the not the right centre, I tried my hand a cleaning up the centre spinner and plastic emblem to see how it'll work on the ones from my '64...

For the most part, the '63 centre spinner was in good shape but the plastic was dull and had minor scratches (similar to mine). After cleaning, I simply used colour sanding papers (3200 grit to 8000) on the on the plastic centre. I didn't use the rouge on the metal but used the red rouge on the plastic cap after most of the scratches were gone, and it too came out pretty decent...

820241862_CoverProgress4.JPG.1a2f313301e6dfd5c16f8d49fea8a40f.JPG

So now I'm back to the question of paint sheen- gloss or satin. I initially thought that I would go satin, but after cleaning up the centre cap, the black piece underneath does appear to be gloss, so I'm leaning to finishing the paint in gloss so as to "match" the centre cap... Not sure if this makes sense or not, but at some point I have to make a decision and live with the result... (or do it, then realize it doesn't look good, and do it over again... I seem to do that a lot, but I'd prefer not to do that here tho'...?)

Later,

Mike

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/29/2018 at 10:52 AM, Pat Curran said:

He just confirmed with me that they are painted a satin black between the vanes.  Hope this helps!

Thanks, Pat, much appreciated. It's always good to know the "rules" so one knows how to bend 'em. I actually ended up using a gloss black.

Based on a few samples of rattle-can satin black, I just felt that the colour didn't look right for me. Gloss black without colour sanding is almost semi-gloss black, so I'm okay. Once one gets rolling on these, they really don't take too much time to do so if and when I ever get to doing the car's  body, I will likely redo these again...

I stuck with using mainly vaseline for masking the shiny parts to remain but also some tape to make handling during painting less greasy...

RimFinal1.JPG.e1744e107701e3027c289c32917bfa69.JPG

RimFinal2.JPG.32fb137aa211e359cf4d5e0b8ad2fe9a.JPG

Fingernail and a paper towel cleans the painted vaseline mask off pretty quick... Once the pant cures, I do a full clean on the remaining grease film.

RimFinal4.JPG.543313ad705c7070a3c74b40993b8429.JPG

Overall, I'm pretty happy even at two feet away...

RimFinal6.JPG.dfdcc719572606b06476bf51c65cc7d3.JPG

While I'm here...so my car is currently in the shop since January, (major mechanical, film at eleven...) and scheduled to be done by first week of June. Once I finished this wheel cover that I got of eBay, I took it to the shop and swapped it out for one off my car to do the process all over again. Much to my chagrin, it turns out that in nearly 40 years I've owned this Riv', I've been rolling one nut short of a full load. (aka,  I only had three studs on the one I took off my car, one was broken.)

Okay, no big deal I thought, good place for me to learn how to remove a broken bolt... I've got a good drill set, (no drill press, hand drill only), so I went and picked up a set of extractor bits. I was able to get a small hole drilled pretty close to centre, and eventually worked a #1 extractor in. Didn't take too long to realize this bit would snap if I tried to go past where I could feel the torque on the bit. So drilled a bigger hole, on to extractor #2,  heated it a bit to a point where the mixture of ATF/acetone would ignite in the hole (like a little candle...) and same result to a point of no return... 

I've got to a point where I have a 7/32" hole, and #4 extractor and it still ain't budging...

RivStud1.JPG.a172edade7ae46e7df3c52e88c73bebf.JPG

Again, the hole's not perfectly centre, but one would think close enough should count. It almost appeared that metal was "folded "over the top,  hence the grind marks to confirm that second ring is indeed part of the aluminium

I've heated it up again, (and again) and topped it off to sit overnight and give 'er one more try with the extractor tomorrow. I'm a little gun-shy on really torquing on it and risk breaking the aluminium mount.

RivStud2.JPG.53518ed75c9ae9186c1b4470b77a8440.JPG

If that fails, any advice on where to take it from here would be greatly appreciated. Since I'm not dead centre, do I Incrementally increase the drill size and hope the studs starts to breaks off on the thin side of the threads? Or, drill it entirely an re-tap it? Hell-coil? Or, just say to heck with it, and keep driving it with three nuts holding 'er on... (very last option...)

Later,

Mike

If you can get a grip on what's left of the stud with the extractor, try heating the aluminum and get it hot enough son that if you hold some candle wax on it, the wax will work it's way through the threads via capillary action.  Then try to remove the broken part.  Heat will expand the aluminum somewhat making the hole a smidge bigger, the wax will work its way into the corrosion, and hopefully the broken stud will come out.  Then use some anti-sieze on the new bolts.  I wouldn't drive with three bolts, not for fear of the cover coming off but because you'll unbalance the tire and wheel.

There are a couple of videos on YouTube that demonstrate using candle wax to loosen rusted bolts.

A lot of the cast cover that I  have are equipped with what appears to  be weights of some kind that are clipped to the back of the cover.  I've never heard an explanation for them. I'll take a picture of one and add it when I dig one out.

Edited by RivNut (see edit history)

46 minutes ago, RivNut said:

A lot of the cast cover that I  have are equipped with what appears to  be weights of some kind that are clipped to the back of the cover.  I've never heard an explanation for them. I'll take a picture of one and add it when I dig one out.

The round weights were added to the backs to balance the wheel cover itself to avoid any vibrations due to the heaviness of the casting.  This was done at the factory prior to installation.  The thought at the time was you couldn't achieve a proper tire balance if the cover itself was not balanced.  I guess the casting process back then was not perfect.

• Like 1

ANY Riviera that came with the cast aluminum covers had the covers installed & the tire, wheel & cover were balanced as an assembly  together so that there would be NO vibration from an out of balance cover. Yes, it requires more work as the cover gets bolted on, the assembly balanced, cover comes off, weight/weights added in proper locations & cover installed again & check balance job to MAKE SURE ALL is balanced correctly as an assembly. If weight/weights are needed the process starts over again. This is ALL done BEFORE the assembly is installed back on the vehicle. I do the same with wire wheel covers.

It ALL takes time & time is money but I DON'T want any COMEBACKS!!!!

How come many don't have the time to do it correctly the 1st. time because it takes much longer to repeat the process.  A little time NOW actually saves time in the long run.  It's not all about the $$$.

Tom T.

• Thanks 1

Well, good news and bad news...

The bad news, my attempts to extract the bolt remnants have come to an unfortunate failure. At least for my tools and abilities...

As I feared the most, I chipped the aluminium stud housing and started a crack

RivStud3.JPG.a500da760f0309b12929f527ffaebcbf.JPG

It was my error in attempting to get the biggest extractor in that I felt could handle the torque. I have no idea if the wax would've worked when I was at the smaller drilled holes/smaller extractor, but from a lot of what I read on-line from not only car forums, but aviation and marine mechanics, many sang the praises of the "secret sauce" (50/50 mixture Automatic Transmission Fluid and acetone) when defusing steel from aluminium. I think I may also have been a little fearful in putting in too much heat with the propane torch... Lessons learned...

There are a couple local shops that specialize in aluminum repair so for kicks and giggles, I'll see what it would cost to "fix it right". It's not totally destroyed, but, man, am I kicking myself...

The good news... at least there's some comfort in knowing that continuing to run on three bolts isn't too critical, thanks, much appreciated... Obviously not quite to Buick standards, but ...it's not their car... ?

For what it's worth, there are four counterweights on this particular cover that look like this...

RivWheelWeights.JPG.40a99a48496d0a7be6dcad4787cd4aa8.JPG

Holding the valve hole at twelve o'clock position, (and looking at the front /outside facing of the wheel cover), these are located, at about five o]clock. centre between the 14th and 15th vanes. I just assumed they were counterweights, and now thinking about 'em, and where they are on this one, most likely to offset the missing material from the valve hole (??) 

Anywho, thanks to all that have provided some great info, you've been very helpful... I'm not done sprucing these up, I still have two more to re-do, but for now... after the stud fiasco... "gin and tonic, bartender, make it a double and keep 'em coming"...?

Later,

Mike

53 minutes ago, MikeJS said:

Well, good news and bad news...

The bad news, my attempts to extract the bolt remnants have come to an unfortunate failure. At least for my tools and abilities...

As I feared the most, I chipped the aluminium stud housing and started a crack

RivStud3.JPG.a500da760f0309b12929f527ffaebcbf.JPG

It was my error in attempting to get the biggest extractor in that I felt could handle the torque. I have no idea if the wax would've worked when I was at the smaller drilled holes/smaller extractor, but from a lot of what I read on-line from not only car forums, but aviation and marine mechanics, many sang the praises of the "secret sauce" (50/50 mixture Automatic Transmission Fluid and acetone) when defusing steel from aluminium. I think I may also have been a little fearful in putting in too much heat with the propane torch... Lessons learned...

There are a couple local shops that specialize in aluminum repair so for kicks and giggles, I'll see what it would cost to "fix it right". It's not totally destroyed, but, man, am I kicking myself...

The good news... at least there's some comfort in knowing that continuing to run on three bolts isn't too critical, thanks, much appreciated... Obviously not quite to Buick standards, but ...it's not their car... ?

For what it's worth, there are four counterweights on this particular cover that look like this...

RivWheelWeights.JPG.40a99a48496d0a7be6dcad4787cd4aa8.JPG

Holding the valve hole at twelve o'clock position, (and looking at the front /outside facing of the wheel cover), these are located, at about five o]clock. centre between the 14th and 15th vanes. I just assumed they were counterweights, and now thinking about 'em, and where they are on this one, most likely to offset the missing material from the valve hole (??) 

Anywho, thanks to all that have provided some great info, you've been very helpful... I'm not done sprucing these up, I still have two more to re-do, but for now... after the stud fiasco... "gin and tonic, bartender, make it a double and keep 'em coming"...?

Later,

Mike

Looks to me like it might be time for a heli-coil and some JB Weld.  Those "weights" you pictured are the ones to which i was refering.  I'll have to see if the ones that I  have are arranged so they might offset the hole for the valve stem. 

11 hours ago, RivNut said:

Looks to me like it might be time for a heli-coil and some JB Weld. 

Thanks, Ed, although I have a penchant for screwing things up, I usually do my best to not give up...

Once again, venturing into new waters, any advice would be helpful. Looks like a relatively straightforward process, but a couple questions....

Does the aluminium housing on the wheel cover have enough meat to drill the size needed for a heli coil to accept the same size bolt as the original, or do I need to use a smaller bolt? Or, can I somehow build-up the diameter of the housing using the JB Weld?

Again, any advice would be greatly appreciated...

Thanks.

Mike

Mike,

have read that by using LEFT handed drills, that rotate in the opposite direction, will often unscrew the broken stud. Reason being is that they rotate the same way as undoing the stud/thread/screw. May be worth a try.

Rodney ?????

Thanks again for the feedback, guys much appreciated...

Rodney, I tried to source the LH bits at a couple specialty tool shops, no luck, but for all intent and purpose I think the extractors do work, I just went too big too fast and cracked the housing, again lesson learned. I have read some say that using a normal drill bit actually tightens the broken stud/bolt even more, but I'm a little sceptical on that theory. To tighten anymore, that bolt would have to move, hence it would have to break the seizure point it's currently at, which in concept should allow it to now move the other way (out). Not sure if this makes sense, but who knows. But yes, if I could have found 'the LH bits, it would've been worth the try...

In terms of the wax trick,  I was discussing backroom the replacement studs I intend to use, and although I bought some 1-1/2" straight studs, I then I realized that I may have a few of the originals that I may be able to re-use. This all started when I wanted to replace at least one of my originals that was completely broken....

image1-5.JPG.3e10b719dbff201bcb21fbb1e11622a5.JPG

Unfortunately, where my car is right now, I'll have to wait until next week to grab this cover, but I will look at removing the existing studs out of this cover and hopefully I can save them to make 'em work as replacements on my repair. I suspect this may not be as easy as it sounds, but I guess I won't know until I try.

Any "lesson learned' pointers in getting the old studs out would be greatly appreciated, and with any luck I won't be posting any "what NOT to do" pointers in removing these studs...

FWIW, I just repaired the crack with the JB weld last night, letting that set, and should be good to final drill and pop in the heli-coil... at least that's the plan...

Later,

Mike

On 3/17/2018 at 1:00 AM, RivNut said:

I plan on digging some of these out for resale at the ROA event in Overland Park. It will probably be a few weeks before I get to them, but I'll look them over and see what's in the stack that may be better than what you already have.

The one with the entire outer ring broken off makes for an interesting look,

Ed

Ed, Bring the ones that are in really bad shape, I like a challenge.

Red Riviera Bob

• 2 weeks later...

Good day.

Just as a bit of a follow up on my "what-not-to-do" saga on restoring these wheel covers...

As suspected, once I cracked the housing (post #64), all DIY attempts to repair with JB Weld failed miserably. Once I thought I had it repaired and tried to drill to the size needed for a heli-coil, the side of the housing where I was slightly off centre on my hole, sheared. Unfortunately, or fortunately as the case may be, I was so frustrated with myself, that I forgot to take a few photos of my (ahem) final work...

Although I could've given up there and ran with three studs only, I had to see it through... I found a local shop that was able to weld the repair, and right, wrong, or indifferent he also took the initiative to make an aluminium stud. Not sure if that was the right thing to do, but I suspect if and/or when it ever breaks, it may be easier to remove...

The repair cost me CDN$40... US$31.

RivRimWelded.JPG.a18f9fb3ad61221dea85dd780a511c40.JPG

I thought about taking the Dremel to grind this weld down a bit more, but after all I've been through with this wheel cover, time to move on. The good news, he felt that the grade of aluminium was very good to work with and has agreed to take an attempt to repair my wheel cover that has the chunk busted out...

image2.JPG.9cfb100d269be5a3b23a4895f4cf5822.JPG

For what it's worth, as of yesterday, the rebuilt engine in my '64 is purring like a kitten, just waiting on some rear/parking brake parts, and hopefully, I'll get 'er back in my garage soon enough...

Later,

Mike

• Like 2

On 5/26/2018 at 9:49 AM, MikeJS said:

Good day.

Just as a bit of a follow up on my "what-not-to-do" saga on restoring these wheel covers...

As suspected, once I cracked the housing (post #64), all DIY attempts to repair with JB Weld failed miserably. Once I thought I had it repaired and tried to drill to the size needed for a heli-coil, the side of the housing where I was slightly off centre on my hole, sheared. Unfortunately, or fortunately as the case may be, I was so frustrated with myself, that I forgot to take a few photos of my (ahem) final work...

Although I could've given up there and ran with three studs only, I had to see it through... I found a local shop that was able to weld the repair, and right, wrong, or indifferent he also took the initiative to make an aluminium stud. Not sure if that was the right thing to do, but I suspect if and/or when it ever breaks, it may be easier to remove...

The repair cost me CDN$40... US$31.

RivRimWelded.JPG.a18f9fb3ad61221dea85dd780a511c40.JPG

I thought about taking the Dremel to grind this weld down a bit more, but after all I've been through with this wheel cover, time to move on. The good news, he felt that the grade of aluminium was very good to work with and has agreed to take an attempt to repair my wheel cover that has the chunk busted out...

image2.JPG.9cfb100d269be5a3b23a4895f4cf5822.JPG

For what it's worth, as of yesterday, the rebuilt engine in my '64 is purring like a kitten, just waiting on some rear/parking brake parts, and hopefully, I'll get 'er back in my garage soon enough...

Later,

Mike

Mike, I’ve restored 12 turbine cast aluminum wheel covers. If, you finished the wheel cover in this thread by hand then you spent a significant amount of time on the cover. Outstanding work, truly over the top job. My cast aluminum wheel covers that have any cracks are TIG welded and they turn out good. I find using pneumatic tools to clean, polish, buff, and shine the covers helpful. There are numerous ways to do anything, but in the case of restoring these covers everyone has to put the time in to get it right. The pic attached was my first try.

R3d Riviera Bob

589743D8-5966-4F1A-9878-6FF0FB64F3E7.jpeg

• 1 year later...
On 6/28/2017 at 12:02 PM, Chasander said:

Thanks. Just trying to get feel for $ on these

Chuck, How can you get the feel? Your arms are short and your pocket are deep.

If get get the two bar spinners newly chromed and all blemish free tri shield emblems, center cap and highly respectable  restored 

63 wheel with the vanes and webs powder coated, AND the back of the cover powder coated as well you are a $1600.00. It’s a measurable amount of money, but for me it’s cheap for all the hours I put in getting these things to look good. Here is a powder coated used cover I just finished.

11 minutes ago, Turbinator said:

Chuck, How can you get the feel? Your arms are short and your pocket are deep.

If get get the two bar spinners newly chromed and all blemish free tri shield emblems, center cap and highly respectable  restored 

63 wheel with the vanes and webs powder coated, AND the back of the cover powder coated as well you are a $1600.00. It’s a measurable amount of money, but for me it’s cheap for all the hours I put in getting these things to look good. Here is a powder coated used cover I just finished.

(15DE2DFA-5926-4EEE-A0D8-293D704729EA.thumb.jpeg.efa2cad4985fbf9f5d65e2e8c1693f20.jpegFEB68BA6-52B8-4C4E-B90F-9BFB81869456.thumb.jpeg.aa81c6eb703833e50835f3993713b1fe.jpeg6011162C-96C2-496B-B944-AD2E6F3E4BA3.thumb.jpeg.3164b31809942f2446cc475bab0a5624.jpeg15DE2DFA-5926-4EEE-A0D8-293D704729EA.thumb.jpeg.efa2cad4985fbf9f5d65e2e8c1693f20.jpeg

What is the consensus on the increased value of a 63 or 64 Riviera with cast covers vs. the other covers that were available in 63 or 64.  No comments on Formula Five wheels (rally wheels) because they were not an option in those years.  

On ‎8‎/‎2‎/‎2019 at 9:56 AM, RivNut said:

What is the consensus on the increased value of a 63 or 64 Riviera with cast covers vs. the other covers that were available in 63 or 64.  No comments on Formula Five wheels (rally wheels) because they were not an option in those years.  

Not sure about value, probably has to do more with personal preference. When I bought my 63 it came with a very nice set of spoke covers which I liked a lot. I didn't know much about the Rivs at first, but the first time I saw a nice set of turbines I fell hard. Not only was the appearance unique but the whole idea of a bolt-on cap with separate spinners was so far out I had to have them. My wheels had the mounting holes (Did ALL 63s and 64s come with those wheels?) so I started looking. Like others I bought a couple of crummy sets thinking I would restore them but I was not as industrious as some (Turbinator!) I lucked into a full NOS set on Ebay but never had the guts to put them on the car. In the end I found a restored set of 64 caps and they were on the car when I sold it. I also sold my original wires and that NOS 63 set, hopefully someone on here is using them now!

DSCF1337.JPG

DSCF7170.JPG

On 8/2/2019 at 10:56 AM, RivNut said:

the increased value of a 63 or 64 Riviera with cast covers vs. the other covers that were available in 63 or 64.

Not a consensus, just one opinion, but I have a general rule that whatever an owner spends on his car, he will get about 25% out of that in added valve. That has been pretty consistent over the past 50 years.