cast aluminum wheel covers

Chasander

Like any other parts for our cars, condition dictates the price.  I am not sure what the going prices are these days as it has been some time since I have seen a set for sale.  They are easy to maintain compared to the wire wheel covers of the same era.  I had them on my 64 that I owned for 24 years and they looked classy on the car.  The 63 and 64 were the same casting but the 64's were painted black between the vanes.  It is not difficult to add or delete the black depending on which year you need.  When I bought my car, the aluminum had oxidized a bit and I had them bead blasted and re-painted the black areas.  They came out great.  The spinners are the same for both years but of course the logo in the center is different between the two years.  The Buick tri-shield for 63 and the "R" logo for the 64.  I would guess that you would have to pay at least $50.00 a piece for presentable examples, quite possibly more depending on condition.  A number of these were damaged over the years by unsuspecting people who tried to pry them off not realizing that the spinner pops off to access the lug nuts.  Curb rash took its toll as well. 

• Like 1

I have the aluminum wheel covers on mine and I just refinished them this winter as they were oxidized and very dull.  

Keep in mind that the total cost of going with the aluminum wheel covers (which are awesome, btw) is not just the cover.  It is the covers + spinners + the logo inserts.  

The logo inserts are not reproduced, so you may have to pay a fair amount of money for good ones in the after market.  

The spinners are chrome and over time the chrome will fail.  So, again, you may have to pay a hefty sum for good spinners in the after market.  You can purchase pitted ones and have them re-chromed, but it leads to the same end (i.e. a hefty sum).  

The chrome wheel covers can be cleaned, buffed, polished and painted as Pat said.  I did the work myself and, although I didn't keep track of it, I'm comfortable estimating 15 to 20 hours of work in each wheel cover.  

• Like 2

I know that I've mentioned this previously but it never hurts to repeat for the sake of those who didn't make note of it originally.  The centers for the spinners on the knock offs for the cast aluminum covers are the same centers that are in the base wheel cover for each year, 63 and 64, respectively.  You can find a set of base covers, remove the centers, and swap them into your knock offs.  The ones one the base covers aren't subject to the abuse that the knock off centers are and can be found in pretty good shape.

If it's just scratches on the center caps, they can be worked out.

Ed

You're right Ed.  I once saw a 1964 Wildcat and the owner had put the cast wheelcovers on his car.  He swapped out the emblem and put the Wildcat emblem in from the standard wheel cover.  It looked great.  BTW, I know you and I have questioned this before but is the spinner on the 65 GS wheel cover the same as the cast wheelcover?  They look the same but I have never tried to swap them.  If so, it could be another source for an emblem.

I paid 800 for a nice set, and then an additional 800 for nos spinners. Supply and demand. The problem besides the tire monkeys trying to pry them off and break the rims, is that  is that they over tighten the nuts and break the studs as well, and more particularly the bosses for the studs.  We have rewelded many of the cast aluminum bosses and then retapped for new studs.

1 hour ago, dr914 said:

I paid 800 for a nice set, and then an additional 800 for nos spinners. Supply and demand. The problem besides the tire monkeys trying to pry them off and break the rims, is that  is that they over tighten the nuts and break the studs as well, and more particularly the bosses for the studs.  We have rewelded many of the cast aluminum bosses and then retapped for new studs.

Next time you do this, post some pictures, please.  Have you ever tried patching or welding cracks on these?  I have a large stack of these each of which needs some kind of repair.

7 hours ago, Pat Curran said:

You're right Ed.  I once saw a 1964 Wildcat and the owner had put the cast wheelcovers on his car.  He swapped out the emblem and put the Wildcat emblem in from the standard wheel cover.  It looked great.  BTW, I know you and I have questioned this before but is the spinner on the 65 GS wheel cover the same as the cast wheelcover?  They look the same but I have never tried to swap them.  If so, it could be another source for an emblem.

Pat,

Yes, but it would be a shame to dismantle a nice original `65 GS wheelcover for the sake of the emblem, just my opinion, but I must admit I`m biased!

Tom

we have an excellent welder who can weld the cast aluminum. He has welded and ground and then sanded and polished some of these covers with nice success. There are so few left that every one of them should be kept and saved

• Like 1

On 6/29/2017 at 9:20 AM, RivNut said:

I know that I've mentioned this previously but it never hurts to repeat for the sake of those who didn't make note of it originally.  The centers for the spinners on the knock offs for the cast aluminum covers are the same centers that are in the base wheel cover for each year, 63 and 64, respectively.  You can find a set of base covers, remove the centers, and swap them into your knock offs.  The ones one the base covers aren't subject to the abuse that the knock off centers are and can be found in pretty good shape.

If it's just scratches on the center caps, they can be worked out.

Ed

Hi Ed.  

I want to understand all of the options available to me regarding the aluminum wheel covers.  I'm not sure which piece you're referring to when you write "the knock offs for the cast aluminum covers".  What are the 'knock offs' and who sells them?  I'd like to have a look.  

Thanks in advance.  

3 hours ago, Eric's.64.Superwildcat said:

Hi Ed.  

I want to understand all of the options available to me regarding the aluminum wheel covers.  I'm not sure which piece you're referring to when you write "the knock offs for the cast aluminum covers".  What are the 'knock offs' and who sells them?  I'd like to have a look.  

Thanks in advance.  

Any for sale would be some original equipment items that come from previous owners or cars being parted out.  The cast aluminum wheel cover is a two piece unit.  The cast aluminum part bolts to the stock 15" steel wheel with four studs that go through four small holes in the wheel and nuts on the back.  The wheel is mounted with the cast part on the wheel. The cast part has a large hole in the center through which the lug bolts can be accessed.  Once the wheel is bolted to the brake drums, a stainless knock off is mounted to the cast cover.  I'll post some pictures tomorrow.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Eric's.64.Superwildcat said:

Hi Ed.  

Thanks in advance.  

Hi Eric,

In this context the term "knock-off" refers to the two blade spinner as it relates to actual racing type "knock off wheels" where the wheel is removed by knocking off the spinner with a leather hammer. It does not refer to knock off as a repro.

Tom

Here's a link to an eBay sale.  4 covers, 4 spinners, with tires (which the seller says do not need to be part of the package.  3 63 spinners, 1 64 spinner.  The center caps look scratched/cracked, the spinners appear to have some pitting, and at least one of the covers has a chunk broken out if it.  $1,299.00  

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1963-1964-Buick-Riviera-set-cast-aluminum-2-bar-spinner-wheel-covers-steel-tires-/332248926870?hash=item4d5b944a96:g:714AAOSww5hZMaWR&vxp=mtr

Gives you a good idea as to what you can get for your dollar.

Ed

• 2 months later...
On 6/29/2017 at 12:52 PM, RivNut said:

Next time you do this, post some pictures, please.  Have you ever tried patching or welding cracks on these?  I have a large stack of these each of which needs some kind of repair.

On 7/4/2017 at 1:03 PM, RivNut said:

Here's a link to an eBay sale.  4 covers, 4 spinners, with tires (which the seller says do not need to be part of the package.  3 63 spinners, 1 64 spinner.  The center caps look scratched/cracked, the spinners appear to have some pitting, and at least one of the covers has a chunk broken out if it.  $1,299.00  

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1963-1964-Buick-Riviera-set-cast-aluminum-2-bar-spinner-wheel-covers-steel-tires-/332248926870?hash=item4d5b944a96:g:714AAOSww5hZMaWR&vxp=mtr

Gives you a good idea as to what you can get for your dollar.

Ed

Ed, I had a crack in one of the cat aluminum covers I just purchased. The welding/fabricator shop I use noticed the crack in one of the covers and Igor it fixed

Turbinator

Edited by Red Riviera Bob
Information (see edit history)

On 6/29/2017 at 6:05 PM, 1965rivgs said:

Pat,

Yes, but it would be a shame to dismantle a nice original `65 GS wheelcover for the sake of the emblem, just my opinion, but I must admit I`m biased!

Tom

Pay, I bought a set of cast aluminium wheel covers. The covers are in good shape, but they need TLC and a lot elbow grease to  bring back the shine. When they are finished being wet sanded and bugged out I’ll send you a pic. Thank you for the heads up on the cast aluminium covers dos not know they existed. Steelman chimed I’m with a beautiful pic of his cast aluminum wheel covers.

Ted Riviera Bob

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/27/2017 at 7:24 AM, Chasander said:

What's the going price for a "nice" set of cast aluminum wheel covers.

Also are they a pain in the butt to take care of?

Chas Andre, my experience in bringing my set to the level I want has cost $1100.00 that includes,  initial cost of the complete set, materials, new orbital sander, welding fix, repaint, and dip with clear coat. My time is not counted in the real costs. Now, in a perfect world if you can find a complete set in outstanding shape jump at $1500. The only way you can realistically get them lower is if they are sold as a "sacrifice" or they are less grade than outstanding. That is my 2 cents worth.

RedRiviera Bob

9 hours ago, Red Riviera Bob said:

Chas Andre, my experience in bringing my set to the level I want has cost $1100.00 that includes,  initial cost of the complete set, materials, new orbital sander, welding fix, repaint, and dip with clear coat. My time is not counted in the real costs. Now, in a perfect world if you can find a complete set in outstanding shape jump at $1500. The only way you can realistically get them lower is if they are sold as a "sacrifice" or they are less grade than outstanding. That is my 2 cents worth.

RedRiviera Bob

I felt that pain. I spent over $1200. for my NOS set. Still in boxes.

The jump cost from "driver" to "Mint" goes exponentially.

Yet nothing like the satisfaction of resurrecting an original, huh?

Good stuff

• Thanks 1

On 10/16/2017 at 4:57 PM, dr914 said:

At one time, Gene Guarnere had several sets of new old stock

I bought my complete set from Gene and I completely satisfied with what I paid for goods received. Gene said That zi had some work in front of me to get those in good shape. I’m no judge of mint or excellent #1 show car level grade would be. I know what curb rash I sanded out and it was tedious. I’ll be satisfied with the final product. I have one more rim to do.

Red Riviera Bob

On 10/16/2017 at 5:43 PM, PWB said:

I felt that pain. I spent over $1200. for my NOS set. Still in boxes.

The jump cost from "driver" to "Mint" goes exponentially.

Yet nothing like the satisfaction of resurrecting an original, huh?

Good stuff

There is certainly satisfaction in bringing a project to a satisfactory completion. I have not attended an ROA meet to view some really good looking cars. I feel mine is a solid driver and a very nice car that meets my expectations. I have no idea how Red Riviera would measure up to others. I'm not going to compete Red Riviera with any expectations of winning anything. I would like to show my car to other Riv owners to get some tips on how to improve the car. ( I have a list of to do stuff ). For me to see the difference in a set of driver  cast aluminum wheels and mint I'd have to be shown. Maybe the difference is simply a comparison of newly manufactured versus used. I don't know. May I request you open the box of one of your NOS cast aluminum rims and take a pic to send? 

Thank you,

Red Riviera Bob

2 hours ago, Red Riviera Bob said:

There is certainly satisfaction in bringing a project to a satisfactory completion. I have not attended an ROA meet to view some really good looking cars. I feel mine is a solid driver and a very nice car that meets my expectations. I have no idea how Red Riviera would measure up to others. I'm not going to compete Red Riviera with any expectations of winning anything. I would like to show my car to other Riv owners to get some tips on how to improve the car. ( I have a list of to do stuff ). For me to see the difference in a set of driver  cast aluminum wheels and mint I'd have to be shown. Maybe the difference is simply a comparison of newly manufactured versus used. I don't know. May I request you open the box of one of your NOS cast aluminum rims and take a pic to send? 

Thank you,

Red Riviera Bob

Sorry Mr. Bob,

I've got P02's. They have a cast spoke center in a stainless dish. Pot metal cap and galvanized rear plate. They're so huge they have their own balance weights. I exchanged my chrome rims for them!

Anyway, all "drivers" are welcome. One can take the approach as I do -  get the better parts as they surface. 

All come to those who wait. 

Riv 2 PWB - Copy.JPG

• Like 1

1 hour ago, PWB said:

Sorry Mr. Bob,

I've got P02's. They have a cast spoke center in a stainless dish. Pot metal cap and galvanized rear plate. They're so huge they have their own balance weights. I exchanged my chrome rims for them!

Anyway, all "drivers" are welcome. One can take the approach as I do -  get the better parts as they surface. 

All come to those who wait. 

Riv 2 PWB - Copy.JPG

Paul, very fine appearance and stance. Off hand, I'm not comfortable speculating the year model of your Riviera. The red lines and wheel covers complement one another. Your location is Florida, but the trees appear to be broadleaf, but I'm okay being wrong.

The color appears to be black, but could be a navy blue. The wax shines real good.

thank you, 

Red Riviera Bob

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, RivNut said:

Bob,

We should expect to see you in Overland Park in 2018 then, correct?

Ed, Overland Park is Kansas? Right?

i have the time and I really love the sunflower fields Mile after mile.

ill check calendar dates and find out more of what the happenings are and give serious consideration of attending.

RRB

Bob,

Overland Park is one of the cities that make up the Kansas City Metropolitan area.  It's actually the second largest city in the metro.  So that puts it on the eastern edge of the state; most of the sun flowers grow in the central and western part.  BUT, there's a huge sunflower farm in Lawrence, KS which is about 30 miles west of Overland Park.  Google Grinters Farms for some info.  

As time gets closer, I'll post a number of things that will be of interest in the area.  Overland Park may be in the KC metro, but it's on the southern edge; very suburban, not urban.  Very new, very progressive*.  And it's home to Jack Stacks, Q39, Joe's KC, and a bunch of other barbecue places.  Bring your appetite. In the area, there are a  number of world renowned museums - The National  WWII Museum, The Nelson-Atkins museum, and the Steam Boat Arabia museum, plus otbers.  Check them out on Google.  KC is also home to the National Negro Leagues baseball museum, and the NCAA basketball museum and Hall of Fame.  There are a number of local wineries within a few minutes drive, plus the Boulevard Brewery and the Union Horse distillery. As the song states "Everything's Up to Date in Kansas City."

Look forward to seeing get you and everyone else.

Ed 

*I was having lunch with my younger daughter last week and she told me of some facts that are pretty amazing.  Within a three mile radius of the Leawood Town Center ,  there is about 3 billion dollars in expendable income. Town Center is about 8 - 9 miles from the host hotel. (I don't live there, that's for sure ?) You will NOT be in Dorothy's and Toto's Kansas.

Edited by RivNut
effing predictive text (see edit history)

Nice wheels (and car) Paul!

Those PO2 hub caps on your '67 sure look similar to the turbine style optional "PO1 Bright Metal Wheel Cover" offered on Corvettes for $57.95 starting in 1968.  Do you know if these are the same as the PO2 covers offered on 2nd Gen Riviera's?  They look quite similar, except for the center cap emblem.  These covers must be a bear to clean properly with all those radial fins...

6 hours ago, 65VerdeGS said:

Nice wheels (and car) Paul!

Those PO2 hub caps on your '67 sure look similar to the turbine style optional "PO1 Bright Metal Wheel Cover" offered on Corvettes for $57.95 starting in 1968.  Do you know if these are the same as the PO2 covers offered on 2nd Gen Riviera's?  They look quite similar, except for the center cap emblem.  These covers must be a bear to clean properly with all those radial fins...

Same cover different center cap.

The Corvette gang goes bonkers for them. Thats why a mint set commands high coin.

They made a 14" version for Camaros but by then no one wanted covers anymore. 

Most were melted away or Devo used them for hats.

devo-banner.jpg

Edited by PWB (see edit history)

• 2 weeks later...

FYI, Chevy offered two styles of this wheel cover but they are very close in appearance.  The Corvette's had a recessed plastic emblem in the center cap just like the Riviera.  There is another Chevy version where the emblem is not recessed and the emblem is a flush mounted aluminum piece that was glued on.  It was standard on the 1972 Monte Carlo Custom which was a one year only offering and also optional on other Chevy's.

• 4 months later...
On 2017-06-29 at 10:52 AM, RivNut said:

I have a large stack of these each of which needs some kind of repair.

Good day. New to the forum, from Edmonton, Alberta Canada. I've owned a 1964 Riv' since 1980 and I am looking for a couple of the aluminium bolt on wheel covers. Two of my four originals are still in reasonable shape, (in need of a good pro polish....) but one has a 4-in piece broken off, and another has the complete outer ring broken off. Based on what I've read here, one of these is possibly a candidate for repair, (if I can find someone local that could do it...) but the one missing the outer ring I can't imagine being fixed. I'm hoping to find a couple still in reasonable shape, but in need of a good polish and new paint, and of course, someone willing to ship these to Canada. We have terrible exchange rate against the US dollar, but I'm more than willing to pay fair market US$ plus reasonable shipping.

Thanks, Hopefully the pictures show up...

Later,

Mike

image2.JPG

image1-5.JPG

I plan on digging some of these out for resale at the ROA event in Overland Park. It will probably be a few weeks before I get to them, but I'll look them over and see what's in the stack that may be better than what you already have.

The one with the entire outer ring broken off makes for an interesting look,

Ed

17 minutes ago, RivNut said:

I plan on digging some of these out for resale at the ROA event in Overland Park. It will probably be a few weeks before I get to them, but I'll look them over and see what's in the stack that may be better than what you already have.

The one with the entire outer ring broken off makes for an interesting look,

Ed

Ed, thanks for the prompt response, AND more importantly, hope...)

Ya, the broken ring is a drag, but on an ol' 20-footer, (for all intent and purpose still original), it could look worse...

Thanks again, keep me posted... 

Later,

Mike 

swickmj at telus dot net (replace the at and dot for email...)

image2-2.JPG