Power vent window motors

jsgun

I wanted power vent windows on my 64. After studying my car and lots of pics, I found out that 58-64 chevy vent window motors would fit. I bought a pair of motors on ebay from "tomsclassic" for $250. They're new, and use all metal gears. The motor is the earlier style, but fit well. I had to elongate the mounting holes on the window frame, but that was due to the vent window alignment rather than the motors. I found that leaving out the retainer screw that holds the motor to the shaft helps in smoothness. I don't see a bad reason to not leave it off.

I found out that the shaft coming from the vent window is fairly soft metal, and can be twisted. I believe that's how the factory set the window in relation to the motor (or crank). On mine, the motor would hit it's end stop before the window closed. Using two crescent wrenches, I was able to twist the shaft enough to have the window fully closed when the motor reached it's stop. I ran into several fitment issues with the vent window's new gasket preventing the glass from shutting all the way. I had to carefully trim down some built in stops (or air seal tabs?) to allow the window to close by itself. I suspect i'll have air leaks and whistling, but it is what it is.

I plan on cutting open holes on my arm rest trim to install the switches. Switches are from a mid 60's Cadillac. Lots of them on ebay. I plan on making switch retainers using epoxy to make screw bosses. It'll be trial and error.

motormount1.jpg

motorshaft1.jpg