Vintage Wire

hi all, I have searched around some already for vintage wire (woven wrapped) and I see some suppliers out there.  Can anyone recommend a supplier they have used for the vintage look wire that is reasonably priced by the foot?   I know there are harnesses out there but I'm not going the $1000 route.  I started to go with universal harness, but later decided I don't want that plastic look under the hood.  The Brillman Co looks interesting.      

ditto  to rbk post   [this post was his    1000  ]      riw sell all gauges   and colors    i made a harness  for my 34 and sent it back to be loomed  a lot of fun in 18 inches of space   no lift  they also have all proper connectors          good luck     steve

• 3 weeks later...

nice folks at RI wire, I probably have most of the wire needed for now.  

I have a question....I am under the dash on my back, stripping the woven covering off the bundle, and started tracing and pulling wires through the firewall.  The woven cover and the insulation on the wire is turning to dust....is there any harmful stuff in the wire insulation?  asbestos for example?  I started using a paper mask, but still wondering.  It is quite dusty.  

Nothing too toxic bug a dust mask might be a wise precaution.  The insulation is (was?) cotton or maybe jute thread woven around the wire then sealed with some varnish.  That dust is a combination of decomposed thread, varnish dust, and probably dried mouse pee.  Yum!

• 4 weeks later...

Wiring is almost complete, but I have a question...there is a wire fastened with a screw to the sheet metal above the windshield...its on the edge of the center hole in the sheet metal..it leads to behind the glove box but it is not connected and there is no terminal. Since the wiring was in sad shape, I do not know if the terminal broke off or if it was ever connected.   I don't see it on the wiring diagram either....can anyone tell me what it could have been for?  

20170810_062046.thumb.jpg.ee7dc69010278752a32ca94d0ea1bf28.jpg

one more .....the wipers appear to be tied into the two fuses that are hot all the time according to the wiring diagram and the original wiring I removed was that way....I guess the drivers really had to turn the wipers off independently just like the headlights back then since they were not connected to the "keyed" fuse?   Just different a way I suppose. 

I was wondering if someone fastened the wire to the metal  just so it does not fall down and get lost when the speaker might have been removed.   But wouldn't there have been two wires?  I assume it had a radio because it has an antenna and the antenna cable was cut off just behind the antenna.  So where does the radio go ? any pics ?  (not going to get a radio, just curious) 

The clock has a ground wire terminal fastened to the clock, but no wire...as if the wire broke off ..and the other end of the wire  (in photo above ) was behind the glove box.   I get the feeling this wire is the ground for the clock.  

On another note,  The ignition switch always hung below the dash by its wires....so I tried to install the switch in the dash and it is now clear this is an aftermarket switch....as it will not go into the hole in the dash.   And there was an ignition switch lamp?   I have the wire with socket and  bulb and it was tucked behind the dash.  How did this fit in/on the ign switch?  Anyone have pics of the ignition switch..both in the dash and out of the dash? 

• 2 weeks later...

wiring update....couple more things on the wiring of the 39 commander....

Can anyone tell me what holds the glass lense in place on the license plate light?  is there suppose to be a gasket between the glass and the housing?  I am thinking it might be a spring clip to push against the glass.  Is there suppose to be a gasket between the glass and the housing?

20170821_094821.thumb.jpg.29cfbb0de9357aae4a363b968f4613ee.jpg20170821_094752.thumb.jpg.493eeced13cb9f5726deea59128180cb.jpg

and I am just amazed again at the technology in '39...first, they put a trunk light inside the trunk lid which to me is amazing for '39, it is powered by the "park light" wires.   I thought it stayed on all the time with the park lights when I first saw it, because there was no visible  on/off switch.  But...I found the switch is built into the lamp socket...it has balls that make the circuit when the trunk lid is open, and breaks the circuit when the trunk is closed.   How about that!!...cleaned it all up and it still works!

20170821_102032.thumb.jpg.d7497ce063dfe00d73a97589f5f29b54.jpg

Wiring is basically complete and car cranked and ran without the wires losing any of their factory filled smoke...

here is what is left of the old wiring...spaghetti anyone?  

20170821_111504.thumb.jpg.a52f1b36d8b2b3735aa9ba3d3cc56102.jpg

thanks all for your help !

Hi

You do not say what year and model your car is. For my 1920 Light Six the original "information on the Care and Operation" hand book shows two wiring diagrams, one for cars fitted with Wagner Starter & Generator, the other for those with Remy. Both are similar but differ in minor details.  Attached is the Wagner version. I would really like to know the colours for the various wires.

Sorry! I have just seen your post from August 14. so I guess that my diagram is a little too basic for 1939.

Bj599e118dc6118_Wiringdiagram..thumb.jpeg.8d93235462a0b262944d28a333d3f9bb.jpeg

Edited by oldcar (see edit history)

• 2 weeks later...

'39 commander.....regarding the wiring for the glove box mounted clock...can anyone provide a pic for how the wiring runs thru the glove box to the clock?   the wire support on the clock seems to take the wire to and thru the top of the glove box....(the wires enter the clock from the bottom of the rear clock cover.  I am wondering how the wire behave when the glove box door is opened and closed...does it coil or fold up or does it push thru the glove box.   I will be ordering a replacement glove box but it may not have a hole for  the wires. 

The clock had a broken solder joint and once repaired, it is running just fine.....simply amazing!

20170909_091303.thumb.jpg.4e40941b6e9b8b22ae0362dc17633878.jpg

another question ...not wiring related...what were they thinking?    why the large hole under the rear seat?  It is covered with a thick rubber sheet.  Did the differential hit the floor under a heavy load...so they put a hole there? or was it to simplify the stamping process capabilities?  

20170810_185619.thumb.jpg.251cbb25f359de9253ad7bd2ee714189.jpg