Infor on a Delco generator on a 31 DB

Hi All,

Just came back from a car show and noticed that my gen. wasn't charging. It would discharge with the lights on , but would not charge when I raced the engine.

I checked and the fan belt was tight.

Can somebody give me some ideas as to what also to check before I give up and send it out .

Also ,who is a good shop to send it to in or around CT or the northeast for that matter.

Thanks,

Joe C.

1)  Hook up a good external meter to verify that the gage is correct.

2)  Check all circuit connections and wires.

3)  Verify that generator brushes are;

a )  making contact (brush springs not broken or weak)

b )  not excessively worn

4)  Verify operation of cut-out (see if charge is coming out of generator, and through cut-out to battery)

5)  If all checks well, have generator shop test generator output before re-winding.

The generator on my '33 stopped working like that. I took a jumper wire and touched both terminals of the cut out together momentarily. The unit started working again and is still going. As I understand it, the generator can lose its charge and the jumper wire trick resets it. Cheap and easy fix. Zeke

Hi All,

I have a update on my generator problem. I looked on the Dodge

Brothers preferred vendor list and found  A&S Ignition Inc. in Patterson NY It was 1 hr. away. A phone call was made and they were willing to look at it.

To make a long story short, they checked it out took it apart while I was looking on and he noticed a bad brush and the commutator was out of round. I went back the next day and picked it up .The cost to replace all three brushes and to turn down the commutator was $65.00 which I thought was very reasonable.

During the winter months I'm going to bring my starter to him and have him go through it also.

BTW: I installed the gen. and it's working perfectly.

Thanks to those who commented on.

Joe C.

• Like 2