1929 Model A History

We have recenly aquired a 1929 Dodge 2 door Model A through my wife's Granfather. The car has been in the family since the mid 40s. I have been searching for a picture, or other info. on this car, but cannot find any of a 2 door version. All seem to be 4 door cars. After speaking with my wife's grandfather, He said only 106 2doors were made. Can anyone help us befor I begin restoration?<P>Thank You, RD

Ray If you look on ebay there is some ads up for sale maybe one will be a help our 29 is a 4 door flat head 6 but may be able to help you some howe not sure of the A modle you might want to check on that Da victory6 standard or fast4. Bob

Don't let the lack of responses on this site keep you from joining the DB Club. This forum is fairly new for the club. Many of the DB Club members do not have internet access so they would never see your question. The DB Club is a great source of information. There are over 1500 members worldwide with a wealth of knowledge. The bi-monthly magazine is full of interesting articles and tips as well as a great flea market section.<P>I myself have never heard of a Model A Dodge (only a Model A Ford), but am aware of a model DA Dodge. There have been many articles on the DA in the Dodge Brothers Magazine, so maybe some back issues would help you out.

Ray -<BR>In 1929 Dodge produced 33 different models of cars and light trucks. Chrysler bought Dodge from Dillon Reade in mid 1928 and production fell to 13th from their usual 4th, 5th, or 6th place. Production for 1928 was 67K units and for 1929 they produced 125K units.<P>Four lines of 29 Dodges were: Standard - 110in wheel base, Victory - 112in w.b. (these two were essentially 1928 carryovers) and the Standard DA - 112in w.b. (introduced Jan 29) and the Senior - 120in w.b. All these had the 6 cyl. engine.<P>The DA was the last design from the old Dodge Brothers stylists and engineers. Chrysler apparently was trying to get Dodge cars into every price range, because the Senior was a very luxurious line. The DA line was carried over into 1930 along with the first Dodge 8 cyl. car.<P>I thought I could find the production numbers by year/model, but couldn't come up with it.<BR>Somewhere your wife's Grandfather probably misunderstood the DA model as A. One thing to bear in mind - low production and rarity doesn't always translate into a desirable or valuable car to collect and restore.

You need to find and advise us of a serial number. The engine number ought to be on block above and ahead of exhaust manifold. Chassis number will be on frame near the rear shackle of the front spring U(under the right front fender). That same number was also on a plate nailed to the passenger's side toe board. The engine number and chassis number willnot match so don't be concerned.<BR>There were two kinds of "2-door" bodies, the coupe with only one seat for two people, and the brougham or close-coupled body with 2-doors and a rear seat. Neither of these were "rare" and were built in the "tens of thousands" if you car is a DA, Victory, or Standard. The Seniors were a bit rarer depending on the series, which we will determine from the serial number.<BR>In any case these all are fast, nicely performing, and desireable cars, but you will require a bit of patience in obtaining information and help from us, whether from this forum or in the printed magazine.

John, Thanks for the your help finding the Identification. Here are the numbers I have found:<BR>The engine head had these numbers top, 6028 210100<BR>Chassis: DA 19086<BR>Body: 182-1351A --------------<BR> |FULL VISION |<BR>This tag also | ALL STEEL |<BR> | BUDD BODY |<BR> --------------<P>This vehicle has 2 seats in front, and a bench seat in the back. Thanks again for the information, I look forward to finding out more.

• 3 weeks later...

The "DA" in the serial number tells us it's the DA. The engine number you gave me is a casting number on the head. The engine number is on the block near manifold as in my note above. It will be different from the serial number so don't panic when you find it.<BR>With 2-doors and rear seat you have a nice body style. Good to keep kids and dogs from falling out. Lots of DA owners in the club to holp you get this one going..