Lapel Pin

Bobm90

Hi,

I am collecting radiator badges, and have one from a Maxwell (1923-1925) I have just purchased a miniature (1" x 7/8") of this badge, does anyone know if Lapel or Hat pins were made for this company during that era? Thanks, I will try to add a photo on here,

Bob

Maxwell Lapel Pin Front - Measures 1 Inch x 7 Eights 9.99 + 2.67 shipping.jpg

What's on the back?  That would tell a lot.  Can advise further if we see a pic of that side.

As a rule-of-thumb, a pin fastener on back would be for a jacket or shirt, and a stud type fastener, either screw type of made as part of the badge itself would be for a jacket lapel. It should have a markers name on the back.   A lot of early originals were enameled.  There have been reproductions made for years and quite a variety are still available.   Ebay is loaded with them, and despite the sellers claims, the vast majority I see are reproduction.  I've been collecting pins, buttons, fobs, etc. for a long time.

Terry

That's a good one - a variation I don't have in my collection.  Bastian Brothers were a very well known producer of buttons, pins and watch fobs.  They began in 1895 and are still in business today.

Terry

• Thanks 1

Getting back to the Maxwell piece at the top, it's one of those things I hate to see being sold as an original. I'm not sure who made these, or why for that matter, but they are from the 1970's and were some form of gas station premium. The more common ones being misrepresented are the Dusenberg, Stutz 8, Cord, Auburn, and other big names of the era. I have also seen "sets" that were several pieces glued to a cardboard backer. Each of these are bronzed white metal with soso quality and nothing on the back.

As for the real one shown, I do not have that style either, but if you want to see a collection of these search my profile for my images and you should be able to see them.

Thank you. I've been collecting emblems, watch fobs, pins, and pretty much anything else for many years now. As mentioned earlier, if you go digging in my profile for the content type pictures you can see most of the collection, emblems being my core interest.

OK now I have pictures of this little guy !! As you can see there are no marking on the back, there are 2  "lumps" on the back one of which  looks like the base of a pin, I hope these help with the ID, thanks for your help, all.

IMG_1740.JPG

IMG_1741.JPG

IMG_1742.JPG

IMG_1745.JPG

• 2 years later...

Hi everyone, your collections are amazing, but this little badge maxwell is incredible, seriously, you are so lucky. I would love to start collecting such badges cause it seems like you are collecting most important moments from history. And what about pins, I would take this badge to a very nice pins company and make it more useful than just a part of collection. I would make from it a pin for my work bag, for example, because I am a history teacher and my students would be excited)

Edited by KatePe (see edit history)
  • Like 1