Steering box numbers

Here's one:  1929 President FH (LHC), s/n 7028315, had Ross box with casting 222982.  I think this assembly is part number 158839.

If you find out where casting 222994 was used, please let me know.  I think this one had a roller bearing as the worm follower instead of a bare pin.

Is there a specific one you are looking for?  LHC or RHC?

1929 president fe steering gear.jpg

Hi Garry

Thanks for your reply

I require a RHD steering box for a 1929 President Victoria the housing part No. is 222978,  Studebaker  housing part No. is 158684. The corresponding LHD housing according to my parts book is 158399.

I have a RHD steering box, housing No. 262983, which is the same No. as the steering box in my FE Sedan. If the this is the correct steering box for that car then the part No. should be 157036 RHD or 156848 LHD.

I have a friend who has a late 1928 FA tourer which also has the 262983 steering box

Your steering box 222994 with a casting number so close to the other 29 cars ,must surely  fit a car  around the 1929 era. Later model Studebakers had roller bearing pins as does my 35 Commander Eight.

As these are Ross casting numbers, perhaps it is not a Studebaker steering box, maybe a Pierce Arrow, or one of the many other cars that used Ross Steering boxes.

With a conversion from casting numbers to part numbers, it would be easy to cross reference steering boxes  and know for sure what is correct and what is not.

Regards

John

• Like 1

Ross was bought by TRW.

Their plant was (or is) in Lafayette Indiana.

Years ago I had the extension number of an engineer there that was an old car

nut and would look up interchanges and part numbers for me.

He retired in 1980.

We may have a member in Lafayette that knows some of the former employees

and maybe they took some of the books home.

I called the factory once to find out if they had an archive accessible to the public

and was told that that info was confidential.

I accumulated many Ross parts from the 29 Studebaker dealer I bought as a retirement project but most of these are 1935 and up.

I know that Lares rebuilds the steering boxes but the cost is high.

Bo Markham and Gary Ash know a lot about Ross and maybe we can learn from 

them.