48 Mustache paint

Guest Blackpack

Guest Blackpack

I recently had the front bumper on my 48 Buick rechromed including the mustache. The old black paint where it reads Buick Eight was stripped out before re-chrome. My usual body/oath not man was not comfortable with re-painting the flat black into the recessed letters. Can I do this myself? Is there a technique to do it so it looks good? 

Thanks

IMG_0205.JPG

Edited by Blackpack (see edit history)

If it is not yet mounted, and you can brace it so that the surface to be painted is upside and virtually flat,  you can brush in the paint using an artists or modelest's brush. Flat black, covered with satin black after the flat dries, and paint right up the sides to the surface of the bar.  Then using Q-tips or some other firm pad( think the wife's make up remover pads)  lightly moistened with thinner, you can clean up any spillage onto the flat chrome surface around the letters.

It's important to use the satin black over the flat though.  Unprotected flat paints will deteriorate quicker than the satin black. 

If you will look at recent posts on a 1937 restoration in the Pre War forum, Gary has just been doing this on a number of smaller parts with a good description and lots of great photos. 

Start at post #371 on page 15 - 

or go to the beginning to see the entire process. 

Edited by Thriller
Added link. (see edit history)

Pete's comment reminded me that I have some special small paint brushes that I got at a body supply place. They are like a long round toothpick (or short skewer) with a small round brush at one end which looks a bit like some of the ends you would see with a Dremel tool. It seems to me I'd gotten them to touch up the hood ornament for my Wildcat.