Selling 1917 Dodge Brothers Touring

Guest daddio

• 1 month later...

Judging from a quick look at the pictures, I would say that you have a 1922 DB, not a '17. For some reason over the years I have seen a number of 22's that are always advertised as "1917". But I could be wrong. Any other opinions?

Agree that it's not a 1917. This looks like a late 22 or early 23 - high hood, slant windshield and dash, but the doors aren't rounded enough and no exterior door handles. Any other ideas?

Looked again and changed my mind. Probably an early 22. The dash and windshield don't slant enough. Therefore the doors without exterior handles would be closer to correct. I'm always amused by sellers who claim 98% all there, or some other 9x% figure that usually turns out to be hogwash! smile.gif" border="0

Hey Ted,<BR>I'm no expert, but I would say 1922. Look at the sharp definition of the front fender crowns, the steel fellow wheels, and the drum bolt in every second spoke on the rear wheels. But what really has me going is the wild-looking rear suspension with the transverse spring! It looks like it's out of a 1914 Cadillac! Also look at how the rear fenders mount to the body, not an angle flange like the early cars. Also the sheet metal door skin that covers the top of the door instead of a metal plate held on with three screws. The list goes on.

Well those crowned front fenders are 22/23. However, my 23 also has crowned rear fenders that taper off to look somewhat like these - except these look like rusted tissue paper. I have no idea what that contraption is on the rear - the car could have been used for some farm or industrial purpose after its useful life on the road. My car has semi-elliptical rear springs and I believe the early 22s had full elliptical rear springs. Interesting that these doors have remaining paint. They could have come from different cars recently.<BR>Any way you look at this car, it's a project.<BR> wink.gif" border="0

Ted, <BR>It sounds like you know the early Dodge stuff better that I. The title says 1917 and that is what I went on. Light surface rust, no deep pitting. Rust thru under the doors only. You could not poke a screwdriver thru anywhere else on the car. Very solid to restore, engine turns. Missing the rear seat springs, hood ornament, three bolts and nuts to hold the rims on, flow thru oil gauge, and the correct steering wheel. Four period steering wheels are with the car.<BR>I do believe some of the doors were replaced.<BR>Lots of detail pictures available. No surprises. Needs everythingfor sure.<BR>Regards,<BR>Mark Campbell

I have made a good study of late '22 and '23 Dodge tourings as I am trying to restore one myself. The car is not a 1921 and is not a late 1922. The big tale tale is the flat bottom windshield. I suggest it is, at least by the body, an early 1922. Late '22 and '23 had the curved bottom windshield. As for the lack of outside door handles, that rules out '23. From what I can gather the transition to outside door handles came sometime after mid-year 1922. If for the fun of it, you have any rear doors for a '23 with outside door handles or any fenders. Drop me a note! It would help with my project. I may have some parts to help out the fellow that decides he can take on this "1917" Dodge touring.<BR>Regards, Alan

• 1 month later...