New Old Tires?

Brian_Heil

Called this morning and they could not find record of my previous call of last week.

Customer sevice agent took all my info (again) and said they would call back.

Miracle of miracles, they 'found' some of the same tires produced 16th week of 2016. (Current tire is 12th week of 2012.)

New tire being shipped today (after they required my credit card to do so) and when I return the other tire (free return shipping label being emailed to me), they will refund my card.

$2 says they re-sell the old tire to some lucky devil.

What I did find out is that in the future I can call and ask what the dates are on the tires in stock before I order.  Suggest others do the same.  Caveat Emptor.

Edited by Brian_Heil (see edit history)
  • Like 4

New tire arrive Friday.   Wrapped tighter than a tick in plastic.  Shipped free.

Twice as soft and not gray like the other and 5 years newer. Even has a nice aroma the other doesn't.   Made 16th week of 2016.   Waiting for the free return label to show up.

Here's an interesting link to see where your tires were manufactured.  First two digits of the DOT code. Mine is a CY.

Check out how many off shore manufacturers there are.

http://www.tiresafetygroup.com/tire-dot-plant-codes-sorted-plant-code

• 1 month later...

So, summarizing, the new (16th week of 2016) tire arrived just before the 4th of July weekend and we were headed out on our 1500 mile BCA National + After Tour + Vacation tour on the 5th so I did not want to mount the new tire and then find out I pinched the tube or had the flap out of place on my tour, so I left the 'new' 5 year old tire on and did the tour since I had shaken it down with several long rides.  I shared all this with Coker that my return tire was going to come back with +2000 miles on it and they were fine with that.

Fast forward through a very successful tour and home and tire swap and (free shipping label) shipped the 5 year old 2000 mile tire back last week.  It then took calls to get 'them' to remember all this and credit my credit card since they made me pay up front for the 16th week of 2016 tire.  Just got the credit refund confirmation.

Getting pretty good at changing tires.  Glad I got to do it in the garage at home and not in the middle of Wisconsin on the side of the road.

Edited by Brian_Heil (see edit history)
  • Like 2

On 6/22/2017 at 5:01 PM, Thriller said:

I hadn't realized ST tires were only rated for 65 mph. That may explain the failures I had on the tent trailer. I generally don't speed when towing but Interstate speeds are typically 70 or 75 in the nearby states. 

I got new tires for my popup this year and for the life of me couldn't figure out why one set was $5 less for what appeared to be the same tires.  The cheaper ones were rated at 65, the higher ones at 80.  I had no idea either.

• Like 1

My Grandfathers 36 Buick still has the Gulf gas station brand  tires on it that I ordered and installed on it for him in 1962 while working at that Gulf station as a kid right out of high school. Had to replace a tube the other year due to valve stem leakage.  Not one visible old age crack noted inside or outside.  Wonder if the warranty is any good?

Tom

Buick 9.jpg

• Like 1