lancemb

My 1957 75R - Big Gray

Interesting development.  How did you get the body up on the lift like that?  And since you left the doors on, did you have to do any body bracing inside the interior?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, JohnD1956 said:

Interesting development.  How did you get the body up on the lift like that?  And since you left the doors on, did you have to do any body bracing inside the interior?

I just used 2x4's to distribute the weight across (and notched out the wood so the crescent-shaped opening on the lower rocker wouldn't get crushed), lifted one side at a time with a bottle jack, and put jack stands under it.  I did 2 lifts on each side so as not to tilt it too much at once.

I've seen a restoration shop lift closed body cars without bracing, so given that and also having the doors on I didn't use any.

This is similar to the method buick man used when he replaced his body mounts a year or two ago.  I ordered new mounts with his sourcing recommendations that I'll install after painting.

Edited by lancemb (see edit history)
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Finally got a day to paint underneath.  It still needs a few touch-ups and even then won't be perfect, but it is worlds better than where it started and is looking fairly presentable so far.

I hope to remount the body in a couple weeks!

20200217_191538.thumb.jpg.8d06ea9c95c48bd6c6e679f1d5a22919.jpg

20200217_191500.thumb.jpg.d12fce0e762e97eb211a090f9b8f0f08.jpg

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

On 2/17/2020 at 8:25 PM, lancemb said:

it is worlds better than where it started and is looking fairly presentable so fa

Looks great -- I'm jealous!