lancemb

My 1957 75R - Big Gray

Driver side front rocker corner is done...almost.  I have to buy a 3/4" hole saw for the two fender mounting holes. 

Next I'll take care of a couple little soft spots on the inner rocker, and then the outer rocker repairs.  One spot at the lead joint (you can barely see it in the photo) and the rear corner is rotted.

After that, I'll move to the passenger side and complete the rocker repairs there.

IMG_2829.jpg

• Like 3

Posted (edited)

I'm doing my best to knock out a small piece of this every day.  Probably a pipe dream to keep this up, but it keeps my momentum up...and helps me keep on schedule with projects moving.

As I moved to the hole in the driver side rocker, I had to burn out the lead so I could weld to steel after cutting the hole out.  When I melted the lead out, a second hole appeared, almost as big as the original one next to it.  So for this evening, I took care of the first hole.  I'll save the other one for tomorrow.

IMG_2838.jpg

Edited by Smartin (see edit history)
  • Like 2

It's reassuring that you're finding weldable metal on either side of the holes though, except the one bonus hole.  I was afraid the whole rocker was going to be soft.

• Like 1

Both holes at the lead joint are fixed.  I moved on to the wheel well corner.  The hole kept getting bigger as I cut...finding more really thin metal.  Finally, I was able to get to some solid metal to weld to.  I ended up cutting a piece of the wheel opening out of the parts car we have here.  It helped with the compound bend around the edge of the wheel opening.

Of course, as I was laying down grinding, I found another spot about 8" long where the pinch weld is at the rocker bottom.  That is next.

IMG_2842.jpg

IMG_2850.jpg

• Like 6

Posted (edited)
11 hours ago, Smartin said:

Of course, as I was laying down grinding, I found another spot about 8" long where the pinch weld is at the rocker bottom. 

Might want to the rest of that area along the rockers while down there if you can...looked suspect to me!

It's really looking awesome, though!  Keeping me inspired to finish the car!

Edited by lancemb (see edit history)

I did some poking and the rest of it looks ok.  

• Like 2

Passenger side quarter was a real mess, along with the rocker.  A lower quarter patch panel was provided with the car, but it was a hokey aftermarket stamping that didn't really even line up with the body lines or openings at the door or wheel.  I did, however, use the wheel opening corner and lower rocker area to patch the quarter panel.

The rear trick was to make sure that the bottom body line of the quarter remained straight with the rocker panel as it ran toward the wheel.  When I cut out the bad spots in the quarter, it sprung out toward me.  It was a real challenge trying to measure and cut, mark, measure again, cut, mark, etc...trying to hold the quarter in place.  I ended up using a 4' straight edge to make sure it stayed true.  Once it was tacked in place, I could go to town with the repair.  As you can see, it looks a but sunken and lumpy where the repair was made.  If could have gotten a hammer back there to work it back out with a dolly, that wouldn't be there.  But there just isn't any room.  Even with taking my time and cooling with compressed air, the panel warped a bit. 

I am currently working on the joint where the lead seam is at the back corner of the door.  The repair ended up being about 8" in length after the bad metal was cut out.  I have already repaired the inner rocker here, and welded the outer rocker together with a patch.  I have one small 2" square hole to fill on the bottom side of the outer rocker....then I can move to the rear wheel wells.  They are a real mess.

IMG_2863.jpg

IMG_2867.jpg

• Like 4

On to the wheel wells...this repair has to be made on both sides of the metal.  There are actually two layers of metal in both of these spots.  This is the passenger side...the driver side is the same way.

This will also take care of all the rust on the body shell.  Let's not talk about the doors, though.

IMG_2874.jpg

IMG_2875.jpg

IMG_2876.jpg

• Like 1

Did you use a torch to heat up that undercoating before scraping it off?

Amazing it rusts out with that stuff on it.

Yes I heated and then scraped it right off.  These are seams in the sheet metal...and. Horrible spot for a seam, for sure.  Very common spot for these to rust.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1