Hotel!!

Annie G

I've taken on the task of finding rooms for me and my husband, father in law and two family friends.  So, I need three rooms.  The previous years, one of the family friend's has gotten the room, but last year was AWFUL!!!  Help me out here... share with me where you're staying so I have another area to look into.  The last 2 years, we were in Harrisburg which is nice and close, but I'd love some ideas on other hotels/motels, etc.

Thank you!
Annie :)

We've been staying at a Sleep inn up on Rt 22.  It's very easy access to the meet.  Straight up 39 until you intersect with 22, turn left and it's a little bit down on the right.  Some nice restaurants nearby, fair price (considering the Hershey week costs), a decent early breakfast, and best of all neat, clean and the owners do a great job.   They know the Hershey event is special and we're treated that way.  Not sure if anything is available, but there are quite a few motels up that direction now.  Have been there several years now and have recommended it to others who also like it.  We make our reservations for the next year when we check out.

Terry

• Like 1

For out-of-town visitors, the towns of 

Mechanicsburg, Camp Hill, and especially Carlisle,

have plenty of motels.  They are mostly chain motels.

There are quite a number of independent old motels

on Route 22, the route Terry mentioned above.  They

look good from the outside, and, dating to the 1950's or before,

they are becoming historic.  I'd much rather stay in a

privately owned motel like those, as long as they were nice.

I suspect they do well during the week of the Hershey meet.

Current motel chains like to build themselves as 3 stories

and call themselves "hotels," perhaps trying to justify

their $100-and-up prices;  but I'd say there really

are very few true hotels--with doormen, bellboys,

concierges, etc.  They are just nice chain motels.

• Like 1

Annie,

I would suggest trying airbnb, you may find a whole house or large condo/apartment for less than the price of three hotel rooms.  Last year when my usual hotel was booked for the Friday already when I booked my other nights, I used the service for the first time and I got a room close to Hershey for a quarter of the price of a regular hotel through them.

I had planned on using airbnb this year for the full stay, but after accumulating a pile of hotel points over the past few months I'm able to stay at Harrisburg Sheraton again using points and not use any USDs. 

Bob

We used AirBnB to get an apartment for a long weekend in Boston.  Beautiful place, fairly priced.  When we left, I took one last look around the apartment to make sure we had everything and all was exactly as we found it, and it was.

Two days later get a nasty email from owner of apartment, that we'd put a big gouge in the floor of the entryway.  There was an upright hat rack, apparently it appeared the rack had been tipped over and hit the floor.

I told her that I was 100% positive we did not do it, as I'd checked before we left, was anyone else in the apartment after us.  Yes, a cleaning crew. Aha..... So, long and short of it, we paid for half the repair of something we didn't do, and still got a bad review on the site.

Be VERY CAREFUL when you rent privately, as it's your word against theirs......

• Like 1

Just booked a room at the Hampton Inn, Harrisburg East. Reasonable rates compared to some others for that week. Good Trip Advisor ratings. This will be my 1st Hershey meet! It will be the 1st showing for my freshly restored 73 GS 4 speed.

• Like 2

Annie,

I'm not sure what rates you are looking for but I just booked our room at the Country Inn & Suites, 5 miles from Hershey park. The room was 200 bucks a night. We had been staying down at New Cumberland which is about 20 miles away, those rooms are in the 135 range. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

CAMPING!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
2 hours ago, AnniesSS said:

We did get a room - thanks!  There are 6 of us, so we'll need more then 1 room! lol  Thank you any way!  I'm sure someone would grab it from you, if you won't be able to attend.

What's the matter Ann, the place last year was not good enough?  I finally convinced my friend that we could not stay at that place anymore after 24 years. We always stay on Saturday night, and when we came back from the show last year we noticed all of the full time residents moving back in, combined with it sounded like someone was getting killed in the room next to us Thursday around 3 AM. So we are now at the Hilton Garden around the corner, they even have locked doors to allow only guests  entering, that's a concept. 

Edited by John348 (see edit history)
  • Haha 1

HAHAHAHA  Nope, 1 time was enough for me!  We didn't hear killing... but we heard PLENTY of other things through those paper thin walls... 

Comfort Suites for us this year.  You staying for the banquet? 

Maybe I'll luck out and find a wad of cash this year to pay for my room too!!! ;)

Edited by AnniesSS (see edit history)

1 hour ago, AnniesSS said:

HAHAHAHA  Nope, 1 time was enough for me!  We didn't hear killing... but we heard PLENTY of other things through those paper thin walls... 

Comfort Suites for us this year.  You staying for the banquet? 

Maybe I'll luck out and find a wad of cash this year to pay for my room too!!! ;)

Very funny! I don't leave until Sunday but skip the banquet and come later it is just a little too rushed for me. By time I load the car on the trailer, then shower up... it becomes to much of a non stop day,   I need 1 or 2 hours to decompress, plus I can look around for any bundles of cash that someone might have dropped. I am bringing my 60 Impala  down I just completed a full restoration on it. I had it down in Ocala this past winter.

Safe travels, if your wandering around the swap meet I will be up in RNI (Red Field North, the row along Hershey Park Drive)  81-86 if need a rest of a cold drink please stop by 

• Like 1

I committed to a room yesterday. I haven't been since 2011. I am only 5 hours away so I get to the flea market on Friday about 10 AM and make the rounds until 6 PM or so. Then out for dinner. I miss the crowds at that little diner in the Hummelstown plaza. Those pre-cellphone days, when there was a trail of mud and people waiting at the phone booths, don't see that anymore. Here are the phone booths today.

013a.thumb.jpg.91c7db9ef8501d8f3cc56e34767518fd.jpg

012a.thumb.jpg.9420f7f8a9d2fe3dd02acd30660729ad.jpg

Anyone remember the place?

I am staying a 5 minute walk from the south Chocolate field. I will catch the car show Saturday, a little of the car coral, and be on the road for home by 3 PM. That has been my routine since the late 1990's. Looking forward to getting back in the habit.

Bernie

012.jpg

Hate to say it, but if you get to the swap field at 10 am on Friday, you're going to see people leaving, and the selling spaces start getting thin.  A LOT of vendors pack up and leave on Friday, and by 5 pm there are tons of empty spaces.  This may be new to you if you haven't been there since 2011.....

6 minutes ago, trimacar said:

Hate to say it, but if you get to the swap field at 10 am on Friday, you're going to see people leaving, and the selling spaces start getting thin.  A LOT of vendors pack up and leave on Friday, and by 5 pm there are tons of empty spaces.  This may be new to you if you haven't been there since 2011.....

Agree with that 100% I am in the red field north, by 5pm Friday nothing there but seagulls, garbage, and week old used port a sans. Though on Saturday there is a large amount of vendors left in the orange and green fields getting the residual action  from the show and the car corral. I know myself I start packing up once i hear the race cars starting up in the stadium Friday  (weather forecast pending) Last year I  was 90% packed up when that nasty front rolled through. Over in the red Field my best day is usually Thursday, not talking about selling but rather the volume of people, Friday is very very slow traffic in the red field for some reason. I guess that they either hit it already or don't realize that we are gone on Saturday.

Edited by John348 (see edit history)

That Friday and Saturday routine has been my preference since I started going in the early 1990's. Many people have told me I go at the wrong time and don't buy anything to make the trip worth while (I'm looking forward to buying an overcooked turkey leg). It fits my work schedule and is a very leisurely pace. I do car stuff every day. If I need a part I get online and it is here in a couple of days. The rest of my life is filled with pragmatism.

Hershey is my sensory deprivation tank. What are you trying to do, turn the lights on?

In January 2012 I had a stroke and a heart attack with all the accompanying knife work. I could be dead and not even be able to hear the sea gulls. I understand I am going for all the wrong reasons. Humor me.

Bernie

If you get over to the Green field stop by and say hello - bring old spark plugs for my collection and I'll be thrilled!   Will be there until dinner time. 

GCC 5-6.

Terry

1 hour ago, 60FlatTop said:

That Friday and Saturday routine has been my preference since I started going in the early 1990's. Many people have told me I go at the wrong time and don't buy anything to make the trip worth while (I'm looking forward to buying an overcooked turkey leg). It fits my work schedule and is a very leisurely pace. I do car stuff every day. If I need a part I get online and it is here in a couple of days. The rest of my life is filled with pragmatism.

Hershey is my sensory deprivation tank. What are you trying to do, turn the lights on?

In January 2012 I had a stroke and a heart attack with all the accompanying knife work. I could be dead and not even be able to hear the sea gulls. I understand I am going for all the wrong reasons. Humor me.

Bernie

Being you are a 60 Buick guy you have to love the styling of the all the 60 GM cars. I thought the Buick was the best styling that year, one of my biggest mistakes in the hobby was I sold a 60 Buick westerner station wagon about 7 years ago, after about 18 years of restoration. The new owner took it to the BCA Meet in Boston and earned a Best of Show with it. 

Stop by at the show on Saturday in class 27D I will have my 60 Impala there I just finished last year. You can't miss it it is the only one that is not red black or white, cascade green (must of been a factory defect! ) . Look for the a fat guy complaining about something with a limp it will be me! Would love to put a face to the name  

• Like 1

Well, if you're just going for entertainment, have at it!  There'll still be things there to see on Friday.  I'm not even looking for anything this year, plan to stay at my spot most of the time and try to sell the stuff I'm bringing, from old toys to Pierce memorabilia.

A friend who, like me, has been collecting and restoring cars for over 50 years, sums it up like this:

When we were young, we needed lots of parts, but we had no money, so it was always decision time on what parts to buy.

Now, much older, we have the money, but really don't need much of anything, and now Hershey is more seeing old friends and meeting new, the great part of the hobby....

• Like 2

Hi. I just changed my hotel for the event from E. Harrisburg to the Hotel Hershey. Parking for Sat. night was a concern, and the travel time and hooking and unhooking the trailer to get to the awards banquet. My question is; Is it a  good idea to park Friday (early morning) at the assigned trailer parking at the show, or park at the hotel and go to the show with my show car from the Hotel? Which way will be easier? My first time going to Hershey and looking for the least stressful way of doing it. I can go either way and am now confident of easy parking Sat. night at the hotel. Any and all comments are appreciated. I will be in class 36F with my 73 Buick for it's first showing since the restoration was completed.

IMG_6557.JPG

IMG_6119.JPG

IMG_6120.JPG

IMG_6115.JPG

Edited by philip roitman (see edit history)