Thanks, Dad!

keiser31

I don't know if my Father is seeing this from the other side, but I want to publicly thank him for his mentoring and for the inspiration he gave me when it comes to old cars. Happy Father's Day to all of you Fathers out there.

Picture 1205.jpg

• Like 6

I lost my dad at 84 years young Oct 2016  , He is who caught the "All old things" disease . It starts when I was about 8 years old . Here he is  when he was 14 in my 02  Crestmobile  that he got from his dad....

BUD_ON_CREST050.jpg

• Like 1

Out of necessity, my dad introduced me to auto repair, junkyards, and all it took to keep a car running in the 1950s to 1970s.  He could only afford the "third row back" used cars, the ones that needed quite a bit of help to stay road worthy.  One of his real joys was  finding a junkyard that had several of the same cars he had at the time.  That insured a steady supply of used parts and a long life with that car for him.  He was a big fan of Chrysler product cars, especially the Chrysler and DeSoto brands.  My mom would always ask "how big of a car did he get this time?" when another one came home.  He and his brothers all liked big cars, even if they were well used by the time they got them.  Thanks, dad for showing me the way!

• Like 1

Lost my dad when I was 21 , he was only 42 , but  throughout my happy childhood dad always had 3 or 4 old cars he was tinkering with , it was his hobby , out  of necessity I'm afraid as he couldn't afford newer cars , usually kept one road worthy for us ,  I played in the others guess that's how I got the bug . Thanks Dad , happy Father's Day.

Edited by Pilgrim65 (see edit history)

My dad is 92 next month and still working on his cars.  I'm hoping I have the same genes.  When I was a kid I always had a project going,  a gig, a go-kart, a tree house, snowmobile,  a GTO, etc.  I would give him a list of things I needed in the morning and he would always figure out a way to swing by the lumber yard, or go-kart shop, or where ever and pick up the stuff I needed.  Always did it and never complained.   Not realizing then, but certainly now,  at the end of the day commuting home, you are beat tired, and the driving out of the way to run an errand or just squeezing in the time is not trivial. 

DSC01687.JPG

• Like 1