Can someone help identify this hood ornament

Hi

Can any of you identify this old hood ornament? I havn't been able to myself. Some of my friends with more automotive knowledge than me, suggested it might be from an old Mack truck, a Pilgrim Bulldog or from an old bentley. It's might just be a universal radiator cap with no specific connections.

I would guess it's from around 1920-1950.

I'm not planning on selling it, as it has great sentimental value, but I would like to know a little more about it.

hood.jpg

It may not be a mascot, there were many art castings/bronze sculptures that we're modified and used as a mascot. Shouldn't be too hard to identify. Post a photo of the bottom and any hallmarks.

Bigg,

Are those screw threads inside the base ?  Also, outside of base is knurled, so it must have been

made to be hand-tightened to something.  The black piece in the base looks to be a seal of some sort.

Cute little guy.  Cap and doggie don't really go together, dog has been added.  Note two different colors on the brass.   It's not a really high quality casting.  is the red collar added or is it part of the brass casting painted?    I'll need to dig into some reference books to be sure but at the very least it's probably a generic accessory item.

Terry

I'm addding a photo of a Bugatti radiator cap so you can see the differences.  Note the threads-external. Also the pattern on the knurling is straight rather than diagonal.

i checked my reference books on mascots and have not seen anything similar.  The quality of the casting is not great.  Still wondering if the red collar is something added or if it's part of the casting that has been painted.  Looks like it is an add-on.   I'm certain it's only an inexpensive accessory item, and am not convinced it was intended to be a mascot for a car when it was made.  I am leaning towards some kind of figurine, paperweight, etc that has been added to a cap of some kind.  It could be a gas tank cap,  

Terry

Bugatti rad cap.jpg