Marmon 34 Trivia Story

Akstraw

Some of you may find this interesting.  I have been working on a 1922 Marmon 34 for about 20 months.  The car I bought had been stripped and re-painted many years ago, with no external trace left of the original color.   Though when I removed the aluminum body skin from the original wooden substructure, I found several traces of blue paint that had seeped between the wood and aluminum at the holes for the top fasteners, presumably at the factory.  This led me to believe that the original color was blue; one of the two standard colors offered that year.   Recently, I removed the VIN plate from the inside firewall.  While one can never be certain, I believe the VIN plate had never been removed before.  What I found on the back of the VIN plate was the following word written in pencil:  “blue”.    I believe the penciled word to be an original factory marking.  So if you are curious about the original color of your Marmon, it could possibly be written on the backside of your VIN plate as well.

"It's a Great Automobile"

Andrew

VIN Plate Reverse.jpg

Blue Paint.jpg