Maxwell Model 25 Speedometer Cable Hanger Info Sought

hddennis

Does anyone have any information on how Maxwell originally supported the end of the speedometer cable as it approached the swivel on the front wheel?  Any pictures of what are known to be original setups helpful. I could also use any ideas of what has worked for you. I'm trying to stop it from rubbing on the front spring  and my setup now works but is sliding back and forth on the belt and will eventually wear through the leather.

Howard Dennis

100_2578.JPG

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks for taking those pictures and responding. Sometimes this hobby seems to involve skills that seem more archeological than mechanical. I know from past experience and research that Stewart cables were usually slung in leather when they were used on other cars and I see no reason why Maxwell would eliminate it. Most pictures of surviving Maxwell's I've found look just like yours but it seems this would wear on both the cable and spring over time not to mention the shock to the Stewart system every time the spring flexes up and down from bumps.  My first picture shows a bracket I made but was just not happy with. I took it off the other day and while crawling around under the car looking for different ways to hold the cable I spotted a large stamped hole at the bottom of the fender apron. It was also on the other side which to my eye would have been used IF the car was a right hand drive export model. A slight re-bending of my bracket allowed it to use a factory hole in the frame and pass through the fender hole and hold the cable off the spring. It works great and seems like a period

correct mounting.  I can't find any other reason for the fenders to have this hole other than how I have used it.

Howard Dennis

100_2591.JPG

100_2592.JPG

Guest junk17

Hi Howard, 

This is what I found on mine. The strap goes throughout the hole in the frame/fender. I'm quite sure it's original (except I'm the stupid one that cut the strap!).

Henry

PS...the fibre gear at the wheel assembly is a little worn...where would I find a replacement?

DSCN3929.JPG

DSCN3928.JPG

Henry, Thanks a million for your response and pictures. You've solved the mystery! I actually overthought my solution and forgot The KISS rule: Keep It Simple Stupid!  It makes all the sense in the  world, the only thing I was missing was the strap. If you want to replace yours I went to Hobby Lobby and bought a dog collar kit # C4710-02 and cut it to length.

Those gears show up often on eBay for Model T Ford's or I bought a New Old Stock one from Russ Furstnow at  1stnow@msn.com

Russ runs a speedometer restoration business and has been an enormous help in getting my speedometer system functioning again.

Howard Dennis   

Guest junk17

Hi Howard,

It's about 12 inches long, overall, but the photo may give you a better idea. Note that the mount was at the RECTANGULAR hole of the fender and did not go throughout the frame. It remained attached to the fender when I took it off the car.

Henry

DSCN3939.JPG

DSCN3940.JPG

While we are on the subject of original Maxwell's could you guys tell me what is correct fasteners  that hold the running board ends to the front and rear fenders? The parts book lists 5/16 x 3/4 SAE cap screws but I would have thought they would have used round head stove bolts which are more decorative in this location. What's on your cars?

Howard Dennis 

Guest junk17

Hi Howard,

I found 5/16 cap screws on mine but replaced them with 1/4 carriage bolts. I thought the cap screws had to be wrong and just find the round heads of the carriage bolts look nicer.

Henry

DSCN3994.JPG

Thanks Henry, I appreciate the response. I have a 1916 and a 1917 parts book and they are not very clear on what goes in the front and rear fender attachment to the running boards. I'm away from home for several weeks but just remembered I also have a copy of a 1914-1921 parts book at home and need to check it to see if it's any help in what goes where. If I find anything out in several weeks when I get home I'll post it here.

Howard Dennis

• 3 years later...