'29 DA hood lacing at radiator

The parts book shows those split rivets as black enamel for the 1930 DC and probably others. Those above look like they also might have been BE (the parts book code). It may be the same for the DA. Mine currently has chrome plated high tensile steel (they are hard to open and not very ductile, so break). Well, it had, I took them out a couple of weeks ago.

They look like they were installed with a special tool too. It rolls the legs over rather than flattens them. Much more effective at a rigid hold?

Here is one. Should be easy enough to file or grind one up. We need it as a pair of pliers rather than a punch. This web site shows both.

http://mgaguru.com/mgtech/tools/ts216.htm

split_rivet_punch.jpg.7e47282fad5780559250f632f954c612.jpg

• Like 1

Keiser, what type of hinge do you have on your windshield?  My 32 DL has a weird setup with a rod sticking out of each side of the windshield frame that locates into rubber fittings at the top inside of the window opening.  My rubber fittings are rock hard and badly distorted and I'm trying to figure out how to address this problem.  Any chance you have the same setup?

24 minutes ago, Taylormade said:

Keiser, what type of hinge do you have on your windshield?  My 32 DL has a weird setup with a rod sticking out of each side of the windshield frame that locates into rubber fittings at the top inside of the window opening.  My rubber fittings are rock hard and badly distorted and I'm trying to figure out how to address this problem.  Any chance you have the same setup?

Mine is a simple piano hinge. It has no other areas attached to the opening except that hinge with I believe 10-screws holding it to the top of the windshield opening and the two slide and thumbscrew/wingbolt brackets to hold it open. The first photo shows the hinge and screws.

Edited by keiser31 (see edit history)

I was afraid of that.  Sometimes I'd like to strangle the chief engineer on the DL!  Could you get a shot of the top of your windshield from the outside so I can see what the hinge looks like?

hmmmm, that last picture you posted John may help me too! I had an extra piece that looked like part of windshield, but couldn't figure it out....I'll have to check in the garage, but I think it's that inverted "lip" piece that your windshield screws too.

Apparently losing the windshield visor in 32 caused the change - I guess they thought the hinge sticking out would be a styling faux pas and they went with the hidden system used on my car which gives a totally flat windshield with no round projection at the top of the frame.

Have not had success posting pictures before, may have to email them. But I will try again. These pictures are of an unrestored '29 deluxe sedan. Don't know if header panel will be the same if yours is a standard. First, my rivets are brass split rivets, not steel, much easier to work with too. The header panel is upholstered right down to the windshield frame on the inside. Outside looks pretty much like John's pictures. 

002.JPG

003.JPG

004.JPG

005.JPG