55 Century dynaflow follow up

buckeye2

I drained the transmission and added 9 quarts of oil. The dip stick shows over full. The number on the dip stick shows it to be the right one. My dip stick tube sets down into the upper tube bracket by 1/4 inch.

Could someone with a 55 or 56 see if their tube sets down in the bracket or if it sets above the bracket and if so by how much. I would appreciate any information that you can give me..

P.S. I know it takes 10 quarts

Thank You

buckeye 2

The upper tube bottoms out on the lower tube from the pan with the rubber hose sealing and holding the two together along with the bracket behind the cylinder head.  I have never counted the amount other than paying attention to when I should be close to full.  Check the lower tube coming out of the pan to be sure it is not bend down and then go enjoy the car.

• Like 1

thats normal, if you ONLY drain the oil pan, check your shop manual ;)

then you only have to put in about 6 qt of oil!

when you also drain the converter too, its about 9 qt and if its completely dry its about 10qt.

but either you should check level in between when car is running  after a oil change, and oil should be warm because it extends when warm.

you will not damage the gearbox with 3-5 qt of oil in it and running without driving to fill up the oil correct to level between low and max an the dipstick.

now you have to remove some oil!

On 6/14/2017 at 7:42 AM, buckeye2 said:

No I didn't drain the converter. The drain bolts have been rounded  and a socket won't fit. At a later date I will cut A slot in them and remove them with a screwdriver. The car was running and in park

buckeye 2.

Use a small pipe wrench to remove the converter drain plug(s). It will bite the rounded head and should be able to remove.

• Like 1

Even small vice grips to bite. But I would not recommend cutting a slot. That might weaken the metal and unless the trans is off the car chances are you won't get a screwdriver onto them anyway.