restore finned drums?

ojh

1 hour ago, ojh said:

Is there anybody that replaces the steel liners inside the aluminum drums?  

Thanks, OJ

Well, I have looked at some 45 and 90 fin drums before. and as just a pratical viewpoint, Id's say forget it. BUT that is my opinion for me alone.

I really belive the aluminum was poured or bonded? around the drum, as it seems most practical as well as getting the whole idea of heat transfer to work...which was the added fin system in the first place.

I know of two OJ's from hamb, if you are, or are not, either way.. be sure to ask your question there on only the main board, not the traditional rod board.  Someone must know if it can work. 

Realistically, in order to be safe, the liner would have to be a shrink fit so, depending on the ID, it would be made something like .010 oversize... the aluminum heated and the liner pressed it. It would not be easy. I'd be afraid the liner might come loose. As F&J correctly points out, the interface has to be very tight in order for the heat transfer to take place. If the originals were cast around the liners, the liners probably had grooves or "hooks" of some sort to keep them in place... something you couldn't replicate without a having a foundry at your disposal. Aluminum shrinks 1/8" per foot when it cools... if you were casting around a proper liner but I wouldn't even consider it unless I were restoring an H6B Hispano Suiza.

They made a steel or iron ring, drilled holes in it and poured molten aluminum around it in a mold. The aluminum locked into the holes. Then the drum was machined.

I don't think there is any way to reline or repair one, other than the normal machining of the surface to smooth out wear. It might be worth while to make a mold and cast new ones, a lot of hot rodders want them and then there are the Buick restorers.

Here's the guy who does them: https://www.jgrelining.com/

And his quote to me in 2012.

"Hey Bemie,  To reline your drum would run $275.00 ea. but if you ship me both pairs at the same time we can reline all four drums for $ 965.00

all drums will come back to you with new races and bearing.  If you have extra cores we pay $ 25.00 ea for those drums if you would like to sell them.

Thanks

Don

J&G Brake drum relining

815-276-2578"

Since I read and replied to this post, I thought I'd do a little searching. There are, in fact, a couple of shops that reline the Buick finned drums. I don't know how it is done, but presumably they are reasonably sure of their method. I confess I was thinking of much larger, much earlier drums for antique cars... like from the 20s...

Edited by JV Puleo (see edit history)