Could I live with this Color

ROD W

Rod,

When I saw this advert I immediately thought this is going to be quite polarising. I personally couldn't live with it even if it had black fenders as I've always tried to keep my car as original as possible but I'm certain it will appeal to someone. The colour and the rest of the restoration just deviates too much for my liking.

With the strength of the Australian vintage car market being what it is this car could be on the auction site for awhile.

Edited by 26-25Buick
Typo (see edit history)

Rod:

Yes I would also have problems living with that color! I am still trying to come up with the correct shade of "Cobalt Blue" for my 1925 Master. The former owners son said that his dad painted it what he thought was Cobalt Blue in the 1970s then changed it to the "Robins Egg Blue" that is on it now. Which I can not live with.

DSCF5685.thumb.JPG.b98cc02d9c0fb3fd06cf53a6c0c5c26a.JPG

I have seen 4 different examples all indicating Cobalt Blue and each color is a bit different.

Photo of a 1925-45 with original (faded paint). DSCF5482.thumb.JPG.64242486e04ffafa0ad572786a43541f.JPGRepainted hood and front fenders. And recently restored 1925 Master coach.593d45ae5c710_1925-Buick-Model-40-51.jpg.166a5047189b286cdeb4aec98898b30a.jpg

That car looks nicely put together, and if it was a quality paint job and sound straight body work, then you have a good candidate for a complete respray in the colors of your choice.  Lots of people choose the wrong colors, and these make for an easier restoration if the car was done right to begin with.   A shop could give you an estimate with a photo for what they would charge to paint this car.  Take that to the seller and begin negotiations.  Doing a full ground up is a lot of work, and you can save a lot of time and money if you find the right car that only really needs a new coat of paint. 

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Thriller said:

I think of paint as easy and inexpensive in the grand scheme of things. If you like the model and the price is appropriate for a car that "needs" to be painted go for it. 

I'm not sure how you can call painting easy and inexpensive, unless of course it is your profession.

The restoration shop that did some work on my 54 CC quoted me in the 30k range for a complete three color repaint including wheels.

I'm sure prices and quality can vary greatly, and I can paint to my own satisfaction but it is very difficult because I don't have a paint booth to get debris free results.

When I have my Buicks at shows, and mind you none of the ones I own are judge worthy, they are just driver quality, the most common questions I get are "are those the original colors?", "is that interior original?" and " is the wood original?".

I try to explain, that the models I have, were only offered in the colors you see.  You couldn't order a 27-25 in all black, or the 54CC in red, etc.  Also, I try to explain that a lot of the parts do not interchange between years, and almost none between Standard and Master series.  These are concepts that are difficult for a lot of people to understand, the way it was back then.

That car would take a lot of explaining, and it's a shame that all that fine work was put into the wrong interior and exterior colors.

• Like 3

I dont hate the interior. Its alot of green but what would have been better? Tan? Black? I can just see some of that old 70s shiny tan vinyl in there and it would be horrible. That would definitly be worse then green. Clearly it took alot of money to make that car look like that so someone had to love it. I think its too flashy for Buick in the 20s. Didnt they only offer like two or three colors per body style?

But to answer the OPs question if your already asking if you could live with it I bet the answer is NO.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, ROD W said:

Larry,

A number of the 25 master models came out in Limousine Blue,  which I think was darker than  Cobalt Blue.  This Master looks pretty smart in dark blue.  Pardon my ignorance,  are Robins eggs actually blue.

John%20Bell%201924.jpg

Rod: The model 49 was offered in limousine blue which is a beautiful blue that I could live with. This is a 1924-49

247620d1399874318-1924-model-49-7-passenger-touring-dscf2523.jpg.50ca92768bffd204142c9170a5698738.jpg

• Like 3

Larry DiBarry and I visited about this car a little bit earlier this afternoon.  I told him that it certainly is not my cup of tea.  In my humble opinion the car is just plain gawdy.  Getting rid of those J C Whitney rear view mirrors hanging on the windshield posts would be a huge step in the right direction.  Those headlight lens 'brow' thingies have simply got to go.  I have never seen a Buick with chrome plated rim wedges.  And that front bumper is awful looking.  It looks like the wraparound ends almost hit the tires.  The side curtains look like they do not fit properly.  Someone obviously spent some money on this car.  It is a shame that they did not do it right.  Black leather upholstery would be the only way to go on a car like this.  OH WELL, it takes all kinds to make this old world go around.

Terry Wiegand

Out in Windy Doo Dah

• Like 1

7 hours ago, billorn said:

Didnt they only offer like two or three colors per body style?

To the best of my knowledge, no.

The Buick models were offered in the colors and interiors that the company chose.  As far as I know, there were no options, other than I believe trunk vs rumble seat on some models, exterior trunks, and bumpers from aftermarket sources.  

I'm not sure when GM started offering options. 

But if you are thinking it would be like ordering a 1969 Pontiac Bonneville 2 door convertible, with black exterior, green interior, white top...ah, no. 

And this is the reason that original untouched un-repainted cars are a wealth of information for Buick owners.  Old photographs from the era are a great source too.

Back in the 70's when the 1925 Standard was probably restored, the matching interior/exterior was all the rage.  Black never goes out of style.  Seafoam green- well.  Lots of burgundy and blue combination cars as well.  I had a friend with pastel yellow inside and out on his Ford LTD.  Sorry for not including a photo of a Buick.

72olds62243-2.jpg.d655da30963a0584c165170cb7a164d8.jpg

• Like 1

22 hours ago, 27donb said:

I'm not sure how you can call painting easy and inexpensive, unless of course it is your profession.

The restoration shop that did some work on my 54 CC quoted me in the 30k range for a complete three color repaint including wheels.

I'm sure prices and quality can vary greatly, and I can paint to my own satisfaction but it is very difficult because I don't have a paint booth to get debris free results.

I have to agree with this statement.  I recently had a local shop do a repaint on my car with a small amount of bodywork.  This included removal of and media blasting the entire body.  They had the car for the better part of a year and the tab out the door was right at $35K.  This work is far from inexpensive unless Macco is your painter.

• Like 1

The original statement by Thriller was:

"I think of paint as easy and inexpensive in the grand scheme of things. If you like the model and the price is appropriate for a car that "needs" to be painted go for it."  He did not simply say "Painting is easy and inexpensive."

I read it as, if the price is right, considering you want to repaint it, then buy it.  Don't pay full price for a car if you are then going to paint it and expect to "come out ahead."  It's all relative.  Then again, if a car is one you have been searching for and are just obsessed with having, then buy it.  Unless you are a person in the business of buying and selling cars for profit, then the money is far less important.  It's a hobby at that point.  Live happy!

Painting a $500,000 for $35000 is "inexpensive."  Painting a $50,000 for $35,0000 is different, but if you can get it for $30,000, then you have something to think about.  Its all relative.  That said, it's YOUR car, so just enjoy it and do what you want.  Don't let the color of a car stop you from obtaining a car you truly want.

Regarding this car, it's not a color I would paint it, but also think it does look the part.  I like it overall.

Edited by 39BuickEight (see edit history)
  • Like 2

On ‎6‎/‎11‎/‎2017 at 9:33 AM, dibarlaw said:

Rod:

Yes I would also have problems living with that color! I am still trying to come up with the correct shade of "Cobalt Blue" for my 1925 Master. The former owners son said that his dad painted it what he thought was Cobalt Blue in the 1970s then changed it to the "Robins Egg Blue" that is on it now. Which I can not live with.

DSCF5685.thumb.JPG.b98cc02d9c0fb3fd06cf53a6c0c5c26a.JPG

I have seen 4 different examples all indicating Cobalt Blue and each color is a bit different.

Photo of a 1925-45 with original (faded paint). DSCF5482.thumb.JPG.64242486e04ffafa0ad572786a43541f.JPGRepainted hood and front fenders. And recently restored 1925 Master coach.593d45ae5c710_1925-Buick-Model-40-51.jpg.166a5047189b286cdeb4aec98898b30a.jpg

I found some darker blue that the former owner had painted the car under the hood lacing. I had the local Nason paint distributor match some paint to do a test panel.

59428f0b00368_1925CobaltBlue(996x1024).thumb.jpg.c1decc8555e538a8fd638f2e86342fca.jpg

A much nicer Blue.

• Like 2

On ‎6‎/‎11‎/‎2017 at 6:09 PM, 27donb said:

When I have my Buicks at shows, and mind you none of the ones I own are judge worthy, they are just driver quality, the most common questions I get are "are those the original colors?", "is that interior original?" and " is the wood original?"....That car would take a lot of explaining

LOL.. I agree, except most people who ask those questions are just looking to make small talk.  When people ask if my 56 is all original I tell them, No.  It's refurbished, there is lots wrong with it.  In this case I would tell them ABSOLUTELY NOT, it's completely wrong on many levels, but it got me here to this event today.  If I could get the car for a reasonable price, I'd drive it everywhere, just like it is,  till it needed a restoration. 

Edit, I'd take off those silly headlight brows.  Makes it look like Chitty Chitty Bang Bang  to me.   :lol:

Edited by JohnD1956 (see edit history)
  • Like 3

Here are the original colors of green on my 1932 Buick 80 Victoria Travelers Coupe.  Riviera Green Light and Riviera Green Dark.  These colors were in the advertisement literature on this model.  The one comment I always get at car shows.......................What a great color combination!

Jay 

El Dorado Hills, CA

1932 Buick at the Cheese Factory.jpg

• Like 5

I could live with the colours but not with the added on "bling.  Spot light, eyebrows, 'trippe' light, front bumper and white walls gotta go IMHO.

3 hours ago, tigersdad said:

Here are the original colors of green on my 1932 Buick 80 Victoria Travelers Coupe.  Riviera Green Light and Riviera Green Dark.  These colors were in the advertisement literature on this model.  The one comment I always get at car shows.......................What a great color combination!

Jay 

El Dorado Hills, CA

1932 Buick at the Cheese Factory.jpg

Some colors just look so original, this is an example.  It looks great!

• Like 1

The evolution of body design also dictates what looks good on a particular vehicle. What may look bizarre on an early to mid 1920s car looks very appropriate on a 1930s car.

The 1925 Buick Master Sport Touring was in Sage Green.

5943f14a1b9b6_IMG_15891.JPG.7d5d8fab070e16f342e048b6ba762c4b.JPG 5943f14add3a7_IMG_15941.JPG.f59f1490e14a641dc59d278bb16b1c8a.JPG

• Like 3

Terry & Neil -

Thanks so much for the compliments.  She is a fantastic car.  Love the Buicks............styling, power, reliability...........what else can be said?!  Larry, the Sage Green on the 1925 Master Sport is beautiful!  A fantastic looking car!

Jay

El Dorado Hills, CA

Not a color I would pick and not original but I like the exterior colors.  

Can't say the same for the interior, I believe the entire car would look much better with a black interior and maybe black wheels.

I have seen a lot of modern cars with factory paint and/or interiors the look horrible.

My 1962 Triumph TR4 has the cars original factory color combination of British Racing Green with a Red interior and I stayed with that when I restored it.  One of only 3 I know of.  Restored it to all original and actually like the combo better than the usual BRG with a black interior.

Edited by Vila
small i to capital I. (see edit history)