wood shifter knob?

riviadrian

I have seen several pics of first gens with a wooden top to the shifter knob.  Is there a source for these, or is this a do it yourself  project?  I would love to have one to match the rest of my interior pieces.

Thanks,

-Adrian-

They were actually made of plastic to look like wood.  The base is chrome plated metal so they held up well.  The top was cone shaped and glued in and sometimes they get loose from drying out but all you have to do is unscrew the entire top, clean it and re-glue it in.  You could probably make a real wood one if you had the right tools.  All 64's and 65's came with them probably to match the wood veneer on the console.

Hi Adrian
Right, they are made of plastic. (I have one spare I you want it...).
I changed mine with a real wooden one made by a friend of mine... He is a professional turner. (http://www.kanziger.ch/)

If interested, see my pics here:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/142025655@N08/albums/72157669118943532

Edited by Schmiddy
bad link (see edit history)

Thanks Pat and Schmiddy, 

This picture is what made me want to change mine. That is beautifully done.

I actually just found a used all wood one on eBay that needs to be re-finished for $25.  The seller says it fits the base nicely, so I will give it a shot. If it works out I will consider that a good score.

I just replaced my veneer on the doors, and replaced the leatherette on the console with veneer, so matching the shifter knob will be a nice finishing touch. 

Worse case scenario, I'm out $25.

-Adrian-

This sound very cool Adrian! I really have to say, a real wooden shift knob is like the cherry on top, I never would change it again!
Sounds like we have done the same work on the interior... Me too, I always found that the leatherette is not matching that well to the dashboard and changed everything. As a ROA member you should have seen the way I did it in the last two issues of the Rivew ;) Myself I was inspired by a 64 Riv who had the veneer going on top of the dashboard and I decided to do so for my 65. Never regret it! :) 

If you really want a shift knob like mine, I could help you out (the cost was 75.00 Swiss Franks -> approx. $ 80.00. Not really cheap, but the quality speaks for itself!) It was done 3 day later.
Just let me know. 
Schmiddy.

I did see your veneer while I was doing mine.  Fantastic work! 

Unfortunately I had already stained mine when I saw your post. If I remember correctly, you used oil to get the color you wanted. Seems easier to hide scratches or reapply as apposed to stain and top coat.  

Yours looks much better than the one I bought, but I will see when I get it. The attraction to this one is that I should be able to stain it to match everything else.

Maybe your friend could match the color if I sent a sample. I will definitely let you know if this doesn't work out.  

Thanks!

-Adrian-

Thank you for your kind compliments! :D
Right, with oil treatment you always can reapply as much you want and make it look like new again - scratches despair if they are not too deep. Even the deep ones looks so much better after oil treatment (more natural). 

Yes he certainly could... just send me a sample. The knob is not exactly the same sort of wood I used for the center console and doors, but with the oil, it becomes like it would be the same (by the way the knob head is not that big to recognize if its exactly the same wood or not).

Just let me know! :)
Greez,

Schmiddy

The 63s were black to match the black vinyl that covered the console. 64s with the custom interior and 65s had wood in the shifter to match the wood that covered those consoles.  I'd bet that one of the vendors, like Gene Guarnere, or Bob Stemm, or Steve Lorenzen -all who run parts ads in the Riview - would have one they'd sell to you.

Ed

Edited by RivNut (see edit history)

You guys who don't belong to the ROA and don't know about Gene and the other guys who advertise in the back of the Riview are really missing out on a great resource for parts.  I've never once asked Gene for something that I needed that he didn't have.

Ed

• Like 1

8 hours ago, RivNut said:

You guys who don't belong to the ROA and don't know about Gene and the other guys who advertise in the back of the Riview are really missing out on a great resource for parts.  I've never once asked Gene for something that I needed that he didn't have.

Ed

Thanks for that hint Ed, I'm looking around since weeks for an new original windshield wiper motor for my 65 but couldn't find one in acceptable condition...
(for me here in Switzerland, kind of difficult to estimate which provider is the right one for what parts in what quality ^_^)  

@Gene: Hahaaa, these lamps would surely look great! :lol: ...so, are you able to provide me a orig wiper motor for my 65? (sorry, this request a bit off topic here, but I will pm you... I'm in need of other small parts too.)

thanks'n'greez
Schmiddy

Edited by Schmiddy
ad content (see edit history)

Schmiddy! You have got a lot to answer for!

Now I have to find or make a wood grain shifter knob to match the new interior! Thanks for your post, did not know there were wood grain knobs available, but do now, cheers.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

2 hours ago, rodneybeauchamp said:

Schmiddy! You have got a lot to answer for!

OK, here we go... :lol:
Wow great work on your interior! So now you need a red shifter knob! :P
No, seriously... this is really an option! For example Tropical Pink Ivory... This species is one of the hardest woods available and would fit perfectly for a shift knob. It has a very strong red grain with light shading. It is often uses in weavers as boats (these little things which always hurry back and forth)

pink_ivory.jpeg.9e3d8a7922723e189bfda255e015cbb5.jpeg

But you could also use the same wood you have placed on the center console... (Looks somehow like maple... but also could be beech or bright oak...)
At the end, every wood species can be turned... it only needs a block of wood in the adequate size and should hard enough not o get deep scratches finger rings or other hard worn materials.

Edited by Schmiddy (see edit history)