Riviera63

Quartz Clock Conversion And Refurbishment

Sent my clock to the Machesney Park Instrument Services for a quartz rebuild.  Upon return it was losing 20-minutes a day; so much for their QA testing.  I sent it back and they returned it so quickly that they couldn't have tested it for more than a day.  Sure enough it's still losing time, and I can see the seconds hand actually slowing in spots. 

Anyone recommend--from personal experience--another shop that can rebuild these clocks?

Somethings wrong with the quartz movement

15 hours ago, Hans3 said:

Sent my clock to the Machesney Park Instrument Services for a quartz rebuild.  Upon return it was losing 20-minutes a day; so much for their QA testing.  I sent it back and they returned it so quickly that they couldn't have tested it for more than a day.  Sure enough it's still losing time, and I can see the seconds hand actually slowing in spots. 

Anyone recommend--from personal experience--another shop that can rebuild these clocks?

I installed one of their quartz movements in my 69 Caprice clock and it worked flawlessly. I agree with Telriv, I believe your movement is defective. Insist on a warranty replacement.

Edited by NC68Riviera (see edit history)

On 1/18/2019 at 7:04 PM, Hans3 said:

Sometimes the adjust knob does not retract fully.

Make sure the lens and/or your hands release allow this.

I put a quartz in my last Monte Carlo and this was exactly the case.

Took me a week to figure it out.

On 12/10/2018 at 10:21 AM, 1965rivgs said:

. Or, you can send it to me and I can do it internally. My workbench is setup for working on the clocks at this time,

Tom

Tom,  Do you want to take a try at my 1960 Buick Clock ?  I cleaned it up and it worked for a little while but it has quit winding.  Points look good and its getting 12 V so I am afraid the winding cold is bad.

7 hours ago, Bill Stoneberg said:

Tom,  Do you want to take a try at my 1960 Buick Clock ?  I cleaned it up and it worked for a little while but it has quit winding.  Points look good and its getting 12 V so I am afraid the winding cold is bad.

Hi Bill,

Sure, no problem. Send it to me and I can take a shot...or, give me a call after sending a couple of reference pics and we can walk through ohming out the coil to check it. Shoot me a PM,

Tom

On 6/9/2017 at 7:36 PM, bob71GS said:

Last year I sent my clock to Instrument Services to have it converted to quartz, after getting it back and installing. it ran for about 5 hours then quit, if I tapped on the dial face plate, it would start running again. this kept going on for a week. I called them and they told me to send back, after 2 weeks they sent it back and said they could not find anything wrong. To this day, it runs for about 5 hours then it quits. I have to either tap on the face plate or pull out the stem to get it to start again.  I'm extremely disappointed in their work and not being able to fix it. I would never send them anything ever again.

Bob Bonto

Bob, I got mine back and the first attempt the clock failed. I sent it back and they sent me another one right away. The second one works fine. It can be frustrating, but I'm sure if you called them again and said, " It still is not working" they would make good.

Turbinator

• Like 1

On 12/3/2018 at 1:17 PM, SwedeDownUnderR63 said:

Setting the clock once at each trip isn't that hard compared to the hours I had to spend to get it out...

This thread is a bit old, but here's the method I use to get the clock out:

Wrap a wide rubber band around the chrome bezel of the clock, like those blue ones the produce stores use to bind broccoli stalks together.  The rubber band gives a good tight gripping surface. This obviates the need to remove the speedo and idiot light chrome bezels - there's enough room to twist the clock out.  The clock will pop right out with a good grip on the rubber banded bezel.  Use the same technique to put the clock back in.  Try it a couple of times and you'll be getting the clock in and out in seconds!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1