Hood almost impossible to open

My 1990 Chrysler TC has a hood that takes two to open.  When you pull the latch it does not spring open.  My wife pulls the latch then I bang on the hood  and then unlock the safety latch.   I have tightened the spring and also loosened the spring, have also used white lithium grease to free things up-all to no avail.

I am out of ideas, does anyone know what to do about this?

I had the same problem... I finally used some children's modeling clay and put it on the latch area to see where the plunger was contacting. Then I was able to adjust the spring, in my case I had to lengthen it quite a bit. FYI. the hood will not jump up like a modern car as it is so heavy! It will spring up maybe a

1/4 " which just enough to clear the latch from the striker. Hope this helps!

17 hours ago, Roger Thomas said:

My 1990 Chrysler TC has a hood that takes two to open.  When you pull the latch it does not spring open.  My wife pulls the latch then I bang on the hood  and then unlock the safety latch.   I have tightened the spring and also loosened the spring, have also used white lithium grease to free things up-all to no avail.

I am out of ideas, does anyone know what to do about this?

You have 2 'HOOD DOWNSTOPS', one on either side of the radiator core support. Try turning each one 1 turn counterclockwise. Check alignment with corresponding fender. You want the hood and fender to be flush with one another. 

That will put a preload on the hood when latched and it will pop up far enough to release from the primary latch when the hood release is pulled. No banging on the hood or 2 person operation required.

another way to make sure the latch aligns perfectly is taking out the grille, letting the hood down slowly and look through the actual hole from underneath with a mirror - you will be able to exactly determine the point of contact , how far it needs to be adjusted and aligned!. that was the easiest fix for me.

I cannot tell you readers here how many times I have helped the owner of a TC by making the simple adjustment to the hood stops.

It is so simple even an 85 year old lady can understand it.

Follow the instructions I described previously.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Lube the mechanism with liquid wrench(or equivalent) then work it manually as if the hood is closing/opening. White lithium grease is not a penetrant so the mechanism is still sticking. I bought my TC from a ebay auction and had the same problem. The hood would not open when i went to look at it. After i got it home and did the above it works now.

12 hours ago, Roger Thomas said:

I followed the Dude's advice, but unfortunately it still does not open.  Now I'll look at alignment.

So you are telling us that you have NEVER been able to open the hood and see the engine?  Is that what you are saying? 

And just how do you figure you will look at alignment if you can't get the hood open?

USE YOUR BRAIN, IF YOU CAN FIND THE RELEASE FOR THAT!

Well, we told you all the ways that are wrong!!!!!  Does the hood stay up when you open it?

I owed some money to a bookie.  They broke my knees.  I went to the doc and told him my knees were killing me.  He gave me some medicine for arthritis.  What he should have given me was some money! 

I have worked on pianos for 40 years.  I actually get excited when I find a new problem!  Well, sometimes I get REALLY frustrated too.  Last month a five minute problem turned into 2 1/2 hour job.

PS  We buried my wife's 47 year old nephew last month.  Brilliant guy that was an adviser the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation.  He didn't take his meds for high blood pressure.  He didn't have life insurance either!  He dad is being buried on Monday!  Tell all the young people you know that they WILL die if they don't follow the doc's advice.  Patients make as many mistakes as doctors.

Now anybody want to help me with the bookie problem?

Just trying to add a little humor at a sad time.

"

Now anybody want to help me with the bookie problem?  Too late pal, you need new knees more, and a little 'heater' if the bookie returns.

Just trying to add a little humor at a sad time.  Me too.