1928 Model 27Clutch not releasing

opeltwinturbo

I have a 1928 Model 27 that I am trying to get ready for Brookfield.  After spending several days completely going through the fuel system and getting the motor running I discovered the clutch is not disengaging.  This vehicle has been sitting for 6-7 years so I was wondering if the disks and floaters my be stuck together causing the clutch to be frozen.  I am able to start the car in neutral but once I try to put it in gear - no such luck.  I can put the car in gear when shut off but obviously when I try to start it I am in gear.   I have full pedal travel but it appears that the clutch is not disengaging.  Suggestions are welcome. 

My 29-41 has done this after being parked for 10+ years. The clutch frictions like to stick to the steel facings.  I have freed stuck clutches by driving the cars while holding the clutch pedal down and gassing the engine. I freed the clutch in a  Model A by having the car on jack stands while running the car in high gear , holding the clutch pedal down and stomping the brake pedal and quickly hitting the park brake. All this has to be done running half throttle or so. Be careful to not be too aggressive as the old cars don't have hardened driveline parts. I bet yours breaks loose pretty easily.

Edited by raydurr (see edit history)

John,

I would put the car in "a gear" and get a couple of guys to rock the car back and forth.  This will put pressure on the clutch friction disks and it may dislodge.  Rust can build on the clutch friction surfaces.   I have had to do this with my Jaguar in the past.  Fortunately it has not been a reoccurring thing.  This would provide normal forces that the car is subject to.   Also consider removing the two screws in the clutch inspection cover at the top front of the transmission and you can inspect the clutch disc stack and see if everything is operating.   As you can see in my photo, I have a problem with one of my clutch linings that I need to address.   This is an earlier design to your style clutch.  Hugh

IMG_3883.thumb.JPG.035aa3bad54cee143d89619cb92680e7.JPG593638b9554ca_1927transmission4.thumb.jpg.fa3334db2d55bf44bc96b21083cb3723.jpg

Edited by Hubert_25-25 (see edit history)
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, Hubert_25-25 said:

John,

I would put the car in "a gear" and get a couple of guys to rock the car back and forth.  This will put pressure on the clutch friction disks and it may dislodge.  Rust can build on the clutch friction surfaces.   I have had to do this with my Jaguar in the past.  Fortunately it has not been a reoccurring thing.  This would provide normal forces that the car is subject to.   Also consider removing the two screws in the clutch inspection cover at the top front of the transmission and you can inspect the clutch disc stack and see if everything is operating.   As you can see in my photo, I have a problem with one of my clutch linings that I need to address.   This is an earlier design to your style clutch.  Hugh

IMG_3883.thumb.JPG.035aa3bad54cee143d89619cb92680e7.JPG

I'm assuming the clutch on the 28 is similar to the 27, which is different from the earlier 24-25.  The clutch unfortunately cannot be examined by looking through the inspection cover.  All the plates and disks are inside the flywheel.

I had the same problem with my 27-54CC.  I could start it in gear with the pedal depressed, and drive around jerking the throttle to put force on the clutch plates, to no avail.  I rocked it back and forth in gear, parked it on a ramp, but decided rather than continue to force it, I removed the clutch and found it extremely dirty and contaminated with a lot of debris (from 80+ years of use).

I put the clutch in a press, released the pressure, and broke the plates free with a socket wrench and adapter that I used to turn the splined hub.

052414 buick clutch (17).JPG

052414 buick clutch (18).JPG

052414 buick clutch (22).JPG

052414 buick clutch (23).JPG

• Like 1

• 4 years later...