old-tank

Texas Road Warriors --- Brookfield or Bust (into beer and cheese)

Made it to McAlester, OK 435 miles, 16.3 mpg, 59 mph moving average, 82 mph highest speed.  Only had to lock the brakes twice in Dallas (*&^%$#), GPS took us on surface streets just like 60 years ago.  Never did find the toll roads...google maps has numbers not names, Garmin is obsolete even with recent update.  No touristy stuff since we have been over this same route too many times.

Ate at a nice Italian restauran...very nice since it had a brewery!  Nap time....

Willie

• Like 9

We gambled today and drove straight through downtown Chicago. Almost caught a hr ball driving by Comiskey. Lol.

Only hit about 10 minutes worth of traffic, and didn't lock the brakes up once on the '59, but it was close. There were 4 hours between rumble strip hits, I think that's a record!

I thought the Indiana pot holes were bad until we hit Wisconsin.

Town is very nice, hotel is nice a well, with a special treat upon check-in, plus homemade peanut brittle. If the parking lot isn't big enough, there's 2000 empty spots next door at Sears. :)

See you road warriors soon!

Edited by bhclark (see edit history)
  • Like 3

Haven't figured out what is "the special treat upon check-in", but the weather is beautiful, some parts vendors are already set up, and about 15 old Buicks are here so far, with more arriving every hour. Here are a few photos, starting with the Mississippi River at Dubuque, Iowa.

IMG_0872.JPG

IMG_0881.JPG

IMG_0885.JPG

IMG_0880.JPG

• Like 8

450 miles today, 400 miles to go.  Car is performing as expected, but my coffee consumption has increased.

Rain, hills, traffic lights north of McAlester, but cloudy and cool so no A/C needed.

Traffic light to moderate, no construction, butstill lots of trucks.

BBQ tonight, had 9 choices of sauce (should have been my first clue since good bbq needs no sauce)  beer was good.

lonely 55

WP_20170704_19_49_13_Pro.thumb.jpg.97af550c6b2901ddd4f18ff511361502.jpg

• Like 10

"Lonely '55" looks good, even without the finger pointing to it.

Glad everything's going well!

Thanks for all of the pictures, Pete!

NTX5467

• Like 1

On the way as well, but the Buick didn't make the whole trip.  Here I am on the Lake Superior shore on the way to the body shop in MI.  Dropped it off yesterday and driving with an empty trailer to the meet tomorrow.

IMG_4565.JPG

Edited by kgreen (see edit history)
  • Like 4

22 hours ago, kgreen said:

On the way as well, but the Buick didn't make the whole trip.  Here I am on the Lake Superior shore on the way to the body shop in MI.  Dropped it off yesterday and driving with an empty trailer to the meet tomorrow.

IMG_4565.JPG

That could be dangerous........

• Like 1

15 hours ago, old-tank said:

St Louis in my way today...

No big deal this time.  In fact it was so easy I thought about going through Chicago (I did get over that thought real quick.)

1293 miles with no issues.

Already found a few old and new friends.

No cheese yet, but did find a nice chocolate oatmeal stout.WP_20170705_18_31_21_Pro.thumb.jpg.5fe7f312cf47d4a7a5be682c46e21978.jpg

• Like 9

29 minutes ago, Ben Bruce aka First Born said:

Envious. Have one for me, Willie.

Ben

And me too, 

anybody else? 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, MrEarl said:

And me too, 

anybody else? 

Lol I don't want Willie to fall off his barstool! 

• Like 2

Y'all have a safe and enjoyable cruise back to TX, as "victorious warriors" again!  We've been trying to keep the 100 degree temps "in wait" for y'all to get back (although the heat factor has been past that a few days due to HUMIDITY levels).

See y'all soon!!

NTX5467

400 miles and ended back at Fenton, MO.

Detoured to visit an aunt in Joliet, IL.  Had to drive I55...too close to Chicago!  Ended up in the wrong lane to pay toll, no spike strips or chase down, so I ignored all future toll booth plazas.

Getting hotter, but the A/C is cold!

• Like 5

They've got your license plate scan in their computer.  There might be a nice "Thank You" note attached to your next TX license plate renewal.  Just watch out for Dodge Monacos with a pair of sunglasses glued/melted to the instrument panel, occupied by two guys in black suits.  Glad everything is good, otherwise.

NTX5467

10 minutes ago, NTX5467 said:

They've got your license plate scan in their computer.  There might be a nice "Thank You" note attached to your next TX license plate renewal.  Just watch out for Dodge Monacos with a pair of sunglasses glued/melted to the instrument panel, occupied by two guys in black suits.  Glad everything is good, otherwise.

NTX5467

I'd like to see them run a 1955 TX plate and see what comes up....(assuming Willie is running a YOM plate)

1 hour ago, 38Buick 80C said:

I'd like to see them run a 1955 TX plate and see what comes up....(assuming Willie is running a YOM plate)

How many of you guys run YOM plates outside your home state? Has it ever been a problem?

10 hours ago, Bloo said:

How many of you guys run YOM plates outside your home state? Has it ever been a problem?

I have two cars like that now. Never been a problem, but I don't have Willies guts to run the toll booth!  :D

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, JohnD1956 said:

I have two cars like that now. Never been a problem, but I don't have Willies guts to run the toll booth!  :D

Maybe they'll feel sorry for the guy that drives an old car like that and figure, age???? :lol:

• Like 1