old-tank

Texas Road Warriors --- Brookfield or Bust (into beer and cheese)

Recommended Posts

Use the forum search feature (BCA General ... texas road warriors) to find some of our previous (mis)adventures.  It all started 12 years ago: (http://forums.aaca.org/topic/71039-on-the-way-to-batavia/?hl=batavia).

This should serve as fair warning to anybody in our way north of Texas and an invitation to other drivers from Texas to join the fun.  There are no caravans, schedules or other requirements; just a bunch of independent contractors that sometimes end up at the same place.  Also, participants should save up for gas and oil (we're driving Buicks after all) and stock up on sliced Barbeque Brisket and Fajitas...if gas prices go up any more consider baloney sandwiches.

We will leave 7-3 and drive 400-450 miles a day in our 1955 model 63.  

Willie

  • Like 7

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I am leaving 7/3 with plans of driving to Springfield MO that day, which will be more than your daily plan.

I have checked several options but have used the US75 out of Dallas thru Muskogee several times and it works for me, plus it is the shortest.

Nancy is not going so there may be fewer stops (and shorter stops)

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We will leave either  the 2nd or the 3rd and make our way to Milwaukee eventually. Will probably go the I 35 route as we want to see friends in Stillwater. Then through Rockford Illinois to see relatives. Hopefully all will work on the 1960 Electra.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Anyone taking the route near Joplin/Springfield MO and likes to stop for special attractions, I recommend these....

Rogers AK....Daisy BB gun museum small but very interesting if you had or wanted a BB gun when young.

Bentenville AK    Crystal Bridges museum, here is link http://crystalbridges.org/  free

Springfield MO.....Bass Pro Shop headquarters.......300,000 sq of hunting, fishing, camping, etc displays plus a gun and archery museum (all free) and they have a good restaurant.

 

I am planning to visit the Wisconsin Automotive Museum in Hartford WI. it is about 45 minutes north of Brookfield and their main cars are Nash and Kissel.

Edited by Barney Eaton (see edit history)
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

For folks coming from a southerly direction if you leave yourself time on the way up or down, Suzanne and the boys recommend the Volo auto museum in Volo Illinois. 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

(What happened to "wine and cheese"?  Or is that another car brand?)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, old-tank said:

Only peasants' brews:  grog, mead, beer; no snooty wine.

 

You surprise me Willie, could have sworn you were one of them " Chardonnay " drinkers!!

 

Wish I was there to catch up again, maybe in the next couple of years or if the Aussie $ comes good again against your greenbacks.

 

Enjoy your drive and stay safe.  

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We haven't made reservations for stops in route yet. Most likely will leave 3rd or 4th and spend 2 nights on the road.  Its 1000 miles from our house and I'm getting older you know. I will post pics on FB along the way.  I plan to take US 69 thru Oklahoma to I 44 and mostly follow Google routing.  Look for the Green 67 LeSabre unless I have more problems with the AC in which case alternate is the Riviera we took to Springfield. 

 

Chuck & Mary  (Charles Bloomberg on FB)

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I would love to be part of the infamous Texas Road Warriors someday, but we usually leave earlier.  We are leaving Friday June 30 and going to spend a few days in Wisconsin Dells, and maybe take in a Brewers game before heading to Brookfield on Tuesday afternoon to start setting up the registration desk.  Have fun and safe travels to all.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, TxBuicks said:

I would love to be part of the infamous Texas Road Warriors someday, but we usually leave earlier.  We are leaving Friday June 30 and going to spend a few days in Wisconsin Dells, and maybe take in a Brewers game before heading to Brookfield on Tuesday afternoon to start setting up the registration desk.  Have fun and safe travels to all.

(don't let Roy fool you.  He is our scout and spy)

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Make sure you go to Circus World in Baraboo. It is the home of the Al Ringling home and Museum.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Bill,

 

You have friends in Stillwater.  Texans in Cowboy Country??  Say hello to Eskimo Joe's for me and my son (two generations of Cowboys) who will some day own my Buicks.  See you in Brookfield.

 

John

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yes,  my boss lives there and he is no Texan.  OSU Cowboy through and through. I am amazed that you are one too.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Perhaps "beer and brats" is more acceptable. 

 

That said, I do recall a Texan bringing wine to the forum gathering for the "gift" exchange. 

 

Chuck, we are all getting older...one day at a time. 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Packing day I presume? :) 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Am leaving Leonard, Texas 2-3 hours from now; will be towing my 1958 Special parts car, so that will stick out like a sore thumb. Going up US. 69/75 to Joplin, MO this evening, then up to Kansas City to pick up Interstate 35 tomorrow; will keep an eye out for any stragglers. If anyone needs a tow, maybe we can sell the parts car on the side of the road, to give me an empty trailer!

Pete Phillips

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Pete Phillips said:

....... then up to Kansas City to pick up Interstate 35 tomorrow; will keep an eye out for any stragglers. If anyone needs a tow, maybe we can sell the parts car on the side of the road, to give me an empty trailer!

Pete Phillips

Honk as you go by.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yes, packing today and getting the dogs and cats in storage.  We'll be "off like a herd of turtles" tomorrow am and plan to drive about 430 miles to Mc Alester, OK. or another 60 miles to Muskogee.  Got Dallas in my way :angry:.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, old-tank said:

Yes, packing today and getting the dogs and cats in storage.  We'll be "off like a herd of turtles" tomorrow am and plan to drive about 430 miles to Mc Alester, OK. or another 60 miles to Muskogee.  Got Dallas in my way :angry:.

 

Remember, you don't need a Toll Tag to use the "tolled lanes".  They'll scan your license plate and send a bill later.  Using Fort Worth as an alternative northward is NOT a good deal, due to massive construction in the downtown region on I-35W and SSLLOOOWWW traffic.  You CAN pickup the TX161 Bush Tollway to go between DFW and Irving and northward to US75 in Plano, though.  Or from TX161 in Irving and normal TX121 in Grapevine,, head to the TX121 Sam Rayburn Tollway to US75 in McKinney.

 

Beer and Cheese both need yeast in their production?

 

Y'all drive friendly and have a great excursion!

NTX5467

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Am at the restored, 1939, Art Moderne "Boots Motel" in Carthage, MO tonight, in the very room (#9) where Clark Gable stayed on one of his cross-country trips back in the day. This place is located where old Rte. 66 and the Jefferson Highway intersect, a little northeast of Joplin. Places like this need to be kept alive. On old Rte. 66, so the price for the room is (are you ready?) $66. Honest.

Boots court & Buick resized.jpg

IMG_0819.JPG

IMG_0825.JPG

IMG_0824.JPG

IMG_0813.JPG

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎6‎/‎5‎/‎2017 at 11:27 AM, old-tank said:

Use the forum search feature (BCA General ... texas road warriors) to find some of our previous (mis)adventures.  It all started 12 years ago: (http://forums.aaca.org/topic/71039-on-the-way-to-batavia/?hl=batavia).

This should serve as fair warning to anybody in our way north of Texas and an invitation to other drivers from Texas to join the fun.  There are no caravans, schedules or other requirements; just a bunch of independent contractors that sometimes end up at the same place.  Also, participants should save up for gas and oil (we're driving Buicks after all) and stock up on sliced Barbeque Brisket and Fajitas...if gas prices go up any more consider baloney sandwiches.

We will leave 7-3 and drive 400-450 miles a day in our 1955 model 63.  

Willie

 

It makes me want to move to Texas just so I can join in! Here I am worried about driving “One Bid” two hours and you guys are coming all the way from Texas!  I am a wimp!  Mud

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Mud,  You will have your chance in a couple of years to take a long drive for the Nationals.

Unfortunately my work got in the way, had 2 people quit and one went out real sick.

I am going to look forward to hearing the stories and sorry I won't have one of my own. 

 

Something always seem to happen to me on the way or on the way back from them.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Made it to Cedar Rapids, Iowa this evening. I think I have about 250-300 miles to go tomorrow. Came through some very heavy rain and marble-sized hail south of Des Moines, Iowa (first photo--do you think it's going to rain?); then took the old Lincoln Highway across central and eastern Iowa. The bridge in Tama, Iowa dates from 1915. The gas, food, & lodging complex is near the town of State Center, Iowa.

Still haven't seen any old Buicks on the road.

IMG_0860.JPG

IMG_0861.JPG

IMG_0862.JPG

IMG_0863.JPG

IMG_0864.JPG

IMG_0866.JPG

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now