Removing the radiator from a 1939 Buick Eight.

Guest Petfixerva

Guest Petfixerva

This 39 Buick Eight has been sitting in an outside garage for 40 years. 

I WA to get to the motor but having trouble getting the radiator out past the hood. 

I have removed the fan, water pump and all the bolts connecting the housing around the radiator. Nothing will budge to allow pulling the radiator past the hood. See the video. Anyone have any ideas?

IMG_2624.MOV

Petfixerva,

Welcome to the AACA Discussion Forum. I have no idea about the answer to your question but suspect the front entire clip has to come off. I have moved your post to the Pre-War Buick Forum where I am confident you will find an experienced 1939 Buick guy who will be happy to help you.

Ah, we have a new inmate in the asylum! Welcome to our wonderful insanity!

On my 1940, I have to 1) take off the hood, 2) remove water pump, bypass assy, fan and hoses, 3) remove 6 bolts holding the radiator to the shell, and 4) lift the radiator out to the rear by tilting over the engine to clear the shell. It really takes 2 people to do the last step, although I have been told that one person can do it by standing on the front bumper and leaning over into the engine compartment. My back hurts just thinking about that one.

So I dunno on the '39, I think the shell goes back farther but I suspect the method may be the same. Any 39 owners want to chime in? Is Grant still around?

Cheers, Dave

Okay, not a professional, but a buddy of mine helped me take the radiator out of my '39 Limited.  Seemed like we did not have the shop manual, and we ended up taking the hood off and then removing the grilles and entire front nose.  I am sure it was not the easiest way to do it, but we got it out and I ended up replacing the core.  Sure cools much better now.  My first trip was from Nebraska to the BCA meet in Colorado, and it always wanted to overheat before the new radiator was installed.  We also put in a little 6 volt pusher fan, which I only turn on when the car is running at low speeds.  Otherwise have not needed it.  Best of luck!

Guest Petfixerva

Thanks so much everyone. Amazing to get so many replies, really amazing. 

Mill keep me n trying and keep you posted!

Guest Petfixerva

I wanted to say that, I'll keep trying and keep you posted. Many more questions to come. 

Thanks again

We just replaced the radiator last fall on my 39 Roadmaster.  There is no need to take apart the front sheet metal. However, you must remove the hood assembly (both halves and the center hinge rod) and the right front brace. Then follow Daves1940's method described above for his 1940 and you should be able to pull the radiator up and out and over the engine.  

It may be more of a challenge to put everything back together--getting nuts started, etc., with the radiator back in place. Small hands are a plus here!

We also took the opportunity to put in a higher capacity radiator.  The car runs cooler, now.

This is definitely a two-person job.

• Like 1

I did it once with help from Jack Jones on his wife's 1939 Special coupe. BuickBob49 is right, you have to remove the hood, the rod at the center of the hood, and at least one of the side panels (makes it easier to access the bolts and lift the radiator), but you can leave the rest of the front sheet metal and the grille in place.

Pete Phillips, BCA #7338

Leonard, Texas

These threads may be of interest

http://forums.aaca.org/topic/208899-1939-buick-front-panel-removal/

http://forums.aaca.org/topic/245602-1939-buick-special-radiator-removal-procedure/

http://forums.aaca.org/topic/240507-time-to-pull-the-engine-on-our-39-special-40-cowl-fender-removal/

http://forums.aaca.org/topic/284551-1939-roadmaster-radiator-removal/

I has some images in 1 or more of these threads, but these are now gone due to software updates

Removing the complete front sheet metal is not hard. 1 large bolt under the radiator and 2 (or 3?) each side near the door.

And

Edited by 1939_Buick (see edit history)

Cheap insurance, put a piece of card board over the front of the engine just in case you loose your grip(no, not like me! My white coat ties in the back), especially going back in with fresh, (read expensive) replacement!

I have pulled our '39 radiator out and replaced it, and I'm only one step up from incompetent.  Like 2carb40 says, strap cardboard to the radiator to protect the core (both sides for double insurance).  The base of the radiator has to come up and swing forward, so the radiator can come up and over the motor (through the gap between the chrome ornament and motor).  But is yours "ain't budging" and something at the base is preventing the lift.  My recollection is that there are only the side bolts (3 each side?) securing the core to the radiator frame.

• 2 years later...

Just reviewed all your great posts on radiator removal/repaclacement. Many thanks. My Brother & I just lucked into a 1939 Buick Opera Coupe & we went the front clip removal way as the motor is seized. The Car is a 7 on a 10 scale & has been Garaged since 1968 with 70,000 original Miles. Any tips are welcomed and thanks for this great forum.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Bart Keough said:

Just reviewed all your great posts on radiator removal/repaclacement. Many thanks. My Brother & I just lucked into a 1939 Buick Opera Coupe & we went the front clip removal way as the motor is seized. The Car is a 7 on a 10 scale & has been Garaged since 1968 with 70,000 original Miles. Any tips are welcomed and thanks for this great forum.

Welcome to the world of '39 Buicks 😊

We like photo's