Post a picture of your father or grandfathers car..

nick8086

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 years later...
On 6/4/2017 at 7:05 AM, zipdang said:

This is a photo of my Great-Grandfather's car in front of the vacant lot. He's the man holding the bundle in front of his company, City Laundry, in Akron, Ohio. I posted this a while back and I believe it was guessed to be a Cadillac but there wasn't general agreement on that.

City Laundry.jpeg

1907 - 1908 Cartercar 22-24Hp Model A Touring

1908 Cartercar.jpg

• Like 2

Grandfarher's (RIP) Faultless passed down to his son, my uncle.

ModelTstuff035.jpg.af686518a2380e2ae9a13c49ca6a1448.jpg

My fathers (RIP) speedster that recently was passed down to me.

2017.jpg.0cf329da922f6e379b155b3d41ee3a64.jpg

First photo is my grandfather and grandmother Haire (my mums parents) and on the running board left to right are my mum, Ronnie, her brother John, sister Gladys and brother Jimmy. Don’t know the car. RHD Australia.

Second photo unsure but a relative.

Third photo is my mums family in the car. Don’t know the car.

Last photo is mums grandfather and grandmother (my great grandparents) with my mum and siblings inside the car. Don’t know the car.

Unfortunately my grandfather passed away on my first birthday, so missed out on so much. Many happy memories staying with my grandmother.

Rodney 😀😀😀😀😀😀😀

PS my parents never owned a car 🙁🙁🙁

IMG_6244.png

IMG_6245.png

IMG_6248.png

IMG_6249.png

Edited by rodneybeauchamp
Wording correction (see edit history)
  • Like 2

A really great Thread, but sad.   50 years ago when I finished restoring my first 1934 Ford, may father was more talkative about the old cars he had owned.   This caused me to cut ads out of Hemmings Motor News and frame them showing their 1973 prices.   That collection really made him smile and appreciate what I was doing.   He also liked to bring my mother to ride with us on local tours.

• Like 3

Here is a picture of my Dad's new 1963 1/2 Galaxie 500 Fastback, 289, 3 on the tree. His last standard shift car.

I was 15 when he bought it. That summer we drove the the Watkins Glen Grand Prix, just the two of us. That was one of two trips we took alone, without the family. The other was to the February Atlantic City swap meet and auction in 1974.

He liked his shiny black cars and traded for a new one every three years.

I took my driver's test in that car.

002.jpg.55c7237458827820908e1ce1f4dd3342.jpg

001.jpg.5a0de2bc22cb6773a9660b087c4a12bf.jpg

• Like 8

15 hours ago, rodneybeauchamp said:

First photo is my grandfather and grandmother Haire (my mums parents) and on the running board left to right are my mum, Ronnie, her brother John, sister Gladys and brother Jimmy. Don’t know the car. RHD Australia.

Second photo unsure but a relative.

Third photo is my mums family in the car. Don’t know the car.

Last photo is mums grandfather and grandmother (my great grandparents) with my mum and siblings inside the car. Don’t know the car.

Unfortunately my grandfather passed away on my first birthday, so missed out on so much. Many happy memories staying with my grandmother.

Rodney 😀😀😀😀😀😀😀

PS my parents never owned a car 🙁🙁🙁

IMG_6244.png

IMG_6245.png

IMG_6248.png

IMG_6249.png

First photo is a 1923 Buick.

Second photo a 1925-26 Studebaker Big Six.

Third photo I think may be a Humber from the teens.

• Like 1

Here is my 17 year old grandpa with his 1927 Chevrolet Roadster. He was the only on the army base with a car and was very popular!

he lied about his age to get into WW2 so he could be with his brothers. When he landed in England, he rushed to meet one of his brothers. About 10 min before he arrived at the base, it was hit by a bomb and his brother perished. 10 minutes later and he would have died. 10 minutes and I would not have existed to post this beautiful picture. It hangs on my wall in my livingroom

6F6ED465-754F-4032-9006-FCB9313F739F.jpeg

• Like 3

23 minutes ago, TimFX said:

Here is my 17 year old grandpa with his 1927 Chevrolet Roadster. He was the only on the army base with a car and was very popular!

he lied about his age to get into WW2 so he could be with his brothers. When he landed in England, he rushed to meet one of his brothers. About 10 min before he arrived at the base, it was hit by a bomb and his brother perished. 10 minutes later and he would have died. 10 minutes and I would not have existed to post this beautiful picture. It hangs on my wall in my livingroom

6F6ED465-754F-4032-9006-FCB9313F739F.jpeg

Newer than a 1927.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, TimFX said:

So what is it then, smart guy. 

Maybe a 1931 Chevrolet roadster. Thank you for the compliment. Here is one with side mounted spares. Look closely at the lower windshield area. Some had cowl lamps....some did not.

1931 Chevrolet rdstr.jpg

Edited by keiser31 (see edit history)
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, TimFX said:

So much for my heart felt post about the picture of my grampa’s car and the story attached 

Sorry to pop any balloon. It is still a very heartfelt post. As stated, just trying to educate. So much history of these cars gets lost when incorrectly identified and I am just trying to set history right. Maybe I should just not say anything.

• Like 2

TimFX, I appreciate you taking the time to relate your Dad's WWII experience and your Uncle's misfortune. War is Hell. The 1931 Chevrolet Roadster was often referred to as the "Baby Cadillac" due to it's sporty looks, so no doubt by 1940's or so your Dad would have been a popular guy around camp. I rebuilt a 1931 2Door Chevrolet, they were a very good car, 3rd year for the reliable "stovebolt 6", an engine that remained largely unchanged for 30+years (1929-1959+).

• Like 3

My grandfather bought this car new from Cochran Pontiac near Pittsburgh. He would have been 69 years old at the time.

IMG_0135.jpeg.564b7aebc599a2347f7cc9e492b6803f.jpeg

He drove it for a few years before passing away in 1972.

My grandmother then started driving the car. The problem was that at age 62 she had never driven a car before and learned how in this car. Keep in mind this was in the Pittsburgh area with lots of narrow winding roads up and down hills with a steep driveway that went straight into the garage with maybe a foot of clearance on each side. Somehow it survived.

After she got in her eighties she stopped driving and my father then brought the car to Michigan and used it as a second vehicle (mostly garaged on the winter). Once he was in his late eighties he stopped driving it and I inherited it and enjoy driving it around in the summer. 

Photo of my grand parents and father around 1953.

67089872504__57157D75-7772-4295-BBE4-8BDDAE877AF2.fullsizerender.jpeg.a7f3df2513d3234031b7d31739211636.jpeg

1968 Pontiac Tempest 4 door with a 350 2-barrel and Pontiac’s two-speed Automatic transmission (no it’s not a Powerglide - that was Chevy)

_storage_emulated_0_DCIM_Camera_20180131_192955.jpeg.e043534eaae2be4bf9b5ee0fe1ab58a8.jpeg_storage_emulated_0_DCIM_Camera_20180131_193151.jpeg.a50528ef01b99ea5cc2444274c300dec.jpeg

It’s just a driver that has been maintained over the years.

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

Here is a picture of my paternal grandparents and their first car . It was a used 1936 Nash.  Grandpa was an electrician at a General Electric plant in either Jersey City or Newark. My grandparents lived in Kearny, NJ. Grandpa either walked to work or took the trolley.  They had no use for a car until they bought a “summer” place in “Outcault”, NJ (near Jamesburg and Helmetta, NJ.  I’m pretty sure the picture was taken in front of their house on Devon Street in Kearny.

The picture was taken in about 1940 when both grandparents were in their early 50’s

Tom

902616B3-B8D0-456A-8DC5-1A207E33FCBB.jpeg

Edited by 37S2de
Spelling (see edit history)
  • Like 3

Here is a picture of my Mom with my parents’ first car, a 1938 Oldsmobile business coupe.  Dad graduated from Tufts in 1941 with a chemical engineering degree and went to work for DuPont in Wilmington.  He bought the Olds so he could travel back to Kearny, NJ on weekends to see his high school sweetheart.  The picture was taken in 1942.  They married in December 1942.

Family legend tells of the “ child safety seat” of 1944 for my older brother, which was a well-padded orange crate set up on the package shelf behind the only seat in the business coupe.

Tom

4BD9790C-8376-4B74-96B5-69840F4BD21E.jpeg

• Like 8

2 hours ago, TimFX said:

Thank you Matt Harwood and Gunsmoke for your kind words. 

Thanks TimFX for sharing your story which was more important to me than the correct year of the car

• Like 5