Sign in to follow this  
tommie b

Oil Dip Stick on 371

Hi and thanks in advance Have a 58 Oldsmobile w/ 371 motor and can not pull out the oil dip stick? like its frozen in place When I pull  hard on it the tube that the dip stick goes in will pull out of motor about a inch and stops. any one know if the tube can be pulled all the way out. HELP!!!!

I can't think of anything that would hang on or catch the dipstick..  First generation Oldsmobile dipsticks are quite stout have you tried the Vicegrip and hammer approach ? ... Tedd 

Yep tried vise grips and even clamps. I have it out about an inch but will not move at all.I have a body shop so not a complete dummie Will drop the oil pan next. Thank you

Bizarre indeed?  Yes, both the dipstick and the dipstick tube can/do/should come out of the block.

Shall be interested in learning what you find on removing the pan.

That is strange, Is there room to remove the pan with out pulling the motor? This is a problem with a 55 but may not be with a 57.... Tedd

Yes Tedd have to remove starter and lower center drag link then oil pan will come down ,and yes strange looks like some one before me did some work on the dip stick tube has a spot of brass filler on it